Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Does this exist? Someone to drive my car to Portugal for me?

Does this exist? Someone to drive my car to Portugal for me?

Old Feb 25th 2017, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

ejntaylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Does this exist? Someone to drive my car to Portugal for me?

I had an idea and wasn't sure if this service existed. Perhaps you can help.

I want someone to drive my car full of stuff to Portugal from the UK. I will meet them in Portugal by plane.

Does this service exist and if so, what is it called? Has anyone done anything like this or have any warnings or advice?

I think it's a neat idea (unless prohibitively expensive!)

Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this exist? Someone to drive my car to Portugal for me?

So, you'd need to pay all the ferry, toll and fuel charges (plus any other vehicle requirements) and, on top, pay someone to drive to Portugal and, presumably, pay for insurance to be sure your vehicle and goods are covered for an international journey by someone other than the owner.....

Sounds expensive to me - plus (in Portugal at least) you'd need to be sure that the driver has sufficient documentation to allow him to drive a car that is not his own, full of goods which don't belong to him.

Good luck with that!
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, might be a bit much...

Trying to think of ways to get car and pet dog over (without doing the hard work of driving!).

Have found a few pet transportation / car transportation sites that offer something like this. I'll feedback if I get any offers.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
..., full of goods which don't belong to him.

Good luck with that!
This bit! I would question the judgement of anyone willing to accept such a proposal. I also wouldn't trust them with my dog.

Also in addition to MacLiam's list of expenses, you'd have to pay for travel back to the UK for the driver.

You might do better looking for a companion to share the drive with you than for someone to do the whole drive for you.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

I've used many vans to transport my stuff across Europe. Not a huge difference. Obviously some risk though.

Yes, travel back would be a consideration. But at aprox £50 for easyjet, it's not a huge expense.

Good idea with finding someone to share the drive. I'm just not keen on a big drive over!
Old Feb 25th 2017, 3:31 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

My last part is the kicker IMHO - given that company drivers in Portugal need a document to allow them to transport goods in a vehicle that doesn't belong to them, I can't see how that could be arranged for a foreigner, driving a foreign-registered vehicle.....

Of course, you could ignore it, but if there's a problem it could be very sticky, both for the driver and for the owner.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Originally Posted by ejntaylor

I want someone to drive my car full of stuff to Portugal from the UK. I will meet them in Portugal by plane.

Does this service exist and if so, what is it called? Has anyone done anything like this or have any warnings or advice?

Thanks
My son's PT friend has done something like that. He has driven cars to and from Germany and Switzerland and maybe other countries. I'll get in touch with him and will post back.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

The journey may not be as daunting as you fear. A ferry to Santander or Bilbao in a dog-friendly cabin (or in the kennel) and then an overnight stopover and you have a couple of days of moderate driving (unless you are making for Sagres in which two overnights!)
If you are heading for the Algarve then the route is motorway all the way. Very few tolls on the Spanish roads and electronic tolling on the A22.
Probably the most cost effective solution if you make a bit of a holiday/adventure of it
Old Feb 25th 2017, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Today I saw a UK articulated lorry car carrier, fully loaded with UK plated cars, on the A22 near Faro.
They were all high end motors; the type owned by people who can afford to pay others to do things for them.

The ferry, fuel, and toll charges are MUCH lower than the cost would be if the cars were driven individually, even without taking the costs of all the drivers into account.

Sorry, I can't tell you who offers the service or what it costs.
Direct transport also brings cars back and forth, they pack them into their closed sided trailers.
They told me that they do it for less than it would cost the owner to drive it over.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MikeJ
The journey may not be as daunting as you fear. A ferry to Santander or Bilbao in a dog-friendly cabin (or in the kennel) and then an overnight stopover and you have a couple of days of moderate driving (unless you are making for Sagres in which two overnights!)
If you are heading for the Algarve then the route is motorway all the way. Very few tolls on the Spanish roads and electronic tolling on the A22.
Probably the most cost effective solution if you make a bit of a holiday/adventure of it
Ferrys are costing about £400 each way. More than petrol for that distance, so would be interesting to see how much the difference in price will be.

Thanks for all the replies - will reply if I get any quotes.

Ta
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrys are costing about £400 each way. More than petrol for that distance, so would be interesting to see how much the difference in price will be.

Thanks for all the replies - will reply if I get any quotes.

Ta
Sorry, I thought you were thinking of a 1-off 1 way trip not a return and that you were not enthused about the long journey from Calais!

However, I have done many trips down to the East Algarve area by a number of routes (including the St Nazarre to Gijon!).

The Calais route does involve a least 1 and possibly 2 extra overnights - at say £129 (dinner bed & breakfast for 2) per night + Tolls and fuel will add probably another £150 so there is not much in it over the long ferry cost plus you arrive in Spain refreshed after a night's rest.

Personally if I am over for a trip of less than about 4 weeks - in which case I fly and rent a car , I find the Brittany Ferry link to Bilboa/Santander plus 1 overnight the most relaxing and cost effective trip when you add up the travelling costs and the convenience of having your own car.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Dal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Today I saw a UK articulated lorry car carrier, fully loaded with UK plated cars, on the A22 near Faro.
They were all high end motors; the type owned by people who can afford to pay others to do things for them.

The ferry, fuel, and toll charges are MUCH lower than the cost would be if the cars were driven individually, even without taking the costs of all the drivers into account.

Sorry, I can't tell you who offers the service or what it costs.
Direct transport also brings cars back and forth, they pack them into their closed sided trailers.
They told me that they do it for less than it would cost the owner to drive it over.
It's a British bloke lives in Almargem near Tavira, don't know where the OP is in Portugal but if he / her goes into the "English Shop" (which for some reason sports a British Flag) in Conciecao they can tell you where he lives, allthough very often his transporter (with contact number on it) is parked at the garage on the Conciecao to Tavira road.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Thanks
Hi, I just sent you a PM regarding transfer service.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What make and model of car?
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
What make and model of car?
comfy audi a6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.