Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Civil Code / Associations

Civil Code / Associations

Old Mar 15th 2018, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

marias is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil Code / Associations

Has anyone experience&knowledge about law over Portuguese Associations? Is there something about that members who has not (yet) paid membership fee, has no right to participate to AGM?? Urgent just now!
Old Mar 17th 2018, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil Code / Associations

On the face of what you say.... i.e. You haven't paid your membership fee..You are therefore not a member of the association.. and therefore not entitled to attend the AGM of that association..
Old Mar 17th 2018, 1:31 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
On the face of what you say.... i.e. You haven't paid your membership fee..You are therefore not a member of the association.. and therefore not entitled to attend the AGM of that association..
I'd concur..... unless membership has been issued, you're only a candidate. Some associations even have a waiting period AFTER membership to ensure nobody tries to stag an AGM.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

marias is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a Portuguese Association, I mean should be based on Portuguese Law.
There is something about that just after two years non-paid membership fees, you are out. But this is a bit delicate question now, during those two years to join the meetings???
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:48 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marias
This is a Portuguese Association, I mean should be based on Portuguese Law.
There is something about that just after two years non-paid membership fees, you are out. But this is a bit delicate question now, during those two years to join the meetings???
So, what you are asking is whether someone who has opted NOT to pay their membership dues should be allowed to attend an AGM and potentially affect decision making by members who HAVE paid.

Delicate, if the member has not been formally ejected. Moral, certainly not.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 9:20 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

In the complete absence of any actual knowledge on my part - surely it would be up to the constitution of the association concerned, rather than dictated by national law?

I'd have thought the very furthest the law would go, if indeed it makes any provision at all, would be to allow for the suspension or expulsion of a member for non-payment, as opposed to specifying it as automatic?

But that's just a laypersons opinion.