Satellite TV

Old Mar 14th 2018, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Bucbar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Satellite TV

I currently have IPTV but it looks like the Third Party provider is going out of business and so I'm now looking around for an alternative solution. I only want UK terrestrial programmes (like Freeview) and I know all about using tablets/internet etc ..... my question is whether this mother of a dish on my roof can actually still be utilised together with my Humax box. Obviously both have been redundant for a while but just checking if it is actually possible to use them again before I lash out on another IPTV solution.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 2:30 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Satellite TV

Originally Posted by Bucbar
I currently have IPTV but it looks like the Third Party provider is going out of business and so I'm now looking around for an alternative solution. I only want UK terrestrial programmes (like Freeview) and I know all about using tablets/internet etc ..... my question is whether this mother of a dish on my roof can actually still be utilised together with my Humax box. Obviously both have been redundant for a while but just checking if it is actually possible to use them again before I lash out on another IPTV solution.
Not sure where you are but your dish can be repointed towards the sat that provides UK TV to Gibraltar, basic UK channels if you are happy with that.Your local sat man should be able to help.
There is the risk of the codes being changed .
Old Mar 14th 2018, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

I'm in Vilamoura.
Any Sat men out there???pls!

Last edited by Bucbar; Mar 14th 2018 at 5:52 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 14th 2018, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

The satellite is Intelsat 907 and you'd need a new decoder. This is a poorly encrypted backup service for Freeview. It will become obsolete at some stage and disappear.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Why no try robssatellitetv.com i use it and it's fine with lots of channels even on very slow speeds.

Peter
Old Mar 14th 2018, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I rotated my dish around, reprogrammed my sat receiver, and have the BBC channels, ITV 1, and film 4 [+1]. You need a linux based programmable receiver, and it's not easy to set up.
I managed, but it took a while.
You can get EPG data over the internet on your box as normal.
With so few channels, it's hard to say whether it's worth bothering; I didn't have to buy any new stuff so it was ok for me.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Sat Dish TV programme distribution is a good example of '20 year technology' and is pretty much finished in the mass market. Digital media content will arrive via cable or fibre direct to the property and get faster as the infrastructure improves.

Of course there will be exceptions but the cost of launching, feeding and maintaining a satellite fleet is massive and they only have a limited life span before they run out of fuel and can't maintain their position.

IPTV is the future and there are a lot of suppliers out there - its illegal of course as they are not paying for their content (or are paying for one account and re broadcasting to 1000's). Hopefully someone sensible will launch a way of subscribing legally to a mix of channels and doing pay 'per view' on films so that programme makers have funds to continue.

A business opportunity for someone !
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:45 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBife
Sat Dish TV programme distribution is a good example of '20 year technology' and is pretty much finished in the mass market. Digital media content will arrive via cable or fibre direct to the property and get faster as the infrastructure improves.

Of course there will be exceptions but the cost of launching, feeding and maintaining a satellite fleet is massive and they only have a limited life span before they run out of fuel and can't maintain their position.

IPTV is the future and there are a lot of suppliers out there - its illegal of course as they are not paying for their content (or are paying for one account and re broadcasting to 1000's). Hopefully someone sensible will launch a way of subscribing legally to a mix of channels and doing pay 'per view' on films so that programme makers have funds to continue.

A business opportunity for someone !
We get calls from Meo pushing their fibre network which sounds great with much better download speeds etc .
Only one problem Meo have yet to install fibre in our area.
I agree it's the future but still a dream for most of us.
I also agree that the allowing pay to view access to encrypted channels would also be a positive step .
Sky in the UK are now changing their platform offering a wider range of subscriptions depending on your preference .
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of satellite TV shops; although the UK channels are hard to get now[but still possible], Portuguese, Spanish, French, Dutch, German, and more are still available. Most need some sort of access card.
You can even have a setup that gets all of them, with a motor drive that turns the dish.
Just search;
televisão por satélite faro

As a DIY man, I don't have any experience of them myself.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucbar
I don't really understand why you want to use a dish when you can get what you want online via tvcatchup.com.

Or am I missing something?
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:32 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I don't really understand why you want to use a dish when you can get what you want online via tvcatchup.com.

It could be down a poor internet service.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:53 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
It could be down a poor internet service.
.... or limited downloads
Old Mar 15th 2018, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Does the Amazon Firestick work over here?
Old Mar 15th 2018, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mfesharne

I like the satellite signal better; high definition, no buffering or pausing, and it works on the TV without the PC being involved.

And when the internet goes down, it still works.

I tried a few of those IPTV services [only free ones], and I found the quality terrible and the systems ponderous to use, even though I have high speed internet and I'm no technophobe.

I don't know if that was what you were missing...
Old Mar 15th 2018, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I know what you mean about ponderous IPTV and also Kodi boxes. Oh to be able to switch the tv on and it works straight away. Some days you spend hours trying to access UK tv but you can watch a film that’s on in the cinema . Saved myself a few pounds the other week. Don’t recommend the shape of water!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.