Cars (Again!)

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Gllsp is a jewel in the roughGllsp is a jewel in the roughGllsp is a jewel in the roughGllsp is a jewel in the roughGllsp is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cars (Again!)

Doesn't matter what clauses are or aren't present. A UK registered car is not legal on the road anywhere in the EU without UK VED and MoT. This is what AFPOP say.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:46 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike
Feel free to quote me from any thread where I have said that the Portuguese regulations regarding the use of foreign registered vehicles should be ignored? I'll save you the trouble, there isn't one.

The man asked a simple question. Can he get his car inspected here if the MOT runs out while he is here? The answer is yes.

If he is here for an extended stay, he may have arranged insurance locally which is why I suggested he check with the broker/insurer to see if they will accept an IPO as proof of roadworthyness.

Believe it or not there are some folk here who use their foreign registered cars legally and need the correct advice to help them. As a moderator surely you should be presenting all the facts, not just a select few? Maybe point out what people can do rather than what they cannot all the time?
As a moderator I am giving the full facts.
Did you read the link I gave you ?
Any foreign vehicle driven in European countries has to be taxed and MOT`d in the country of registration to be legal roadwise and can only be used on the original plates for a certain time and then needs to be imported to local plates no matter what alleged insurance they have, or even easier, sell it in the UK and buy local, end of story.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

cursedt is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, what is the road tax 'para estrangeiros' that you can buy in portugal? i heard about it & that you can drive in the uk with it for a short time, when i asked at the tax office i was told that the computers would be set up to accept gb type registrations later this year (this was a couple of months ago) but due to my lamentable portuguese i couldn't find out much more about it. does any one else know anything? cheers, kirsty.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
As a moderator I am giving the full facts.
Did you read the link I gave you ?
Any foreign vehicle driven in European countries has to be taxed and MOT`d in the country of registration to be legal roadwise and can only be used on the original plates for a certain time and then needs to be imported to local plates no matter what alleged insurance they have, or even easier, sell it in the UK and buy local, end of story.
I beg to differ.

I have not heard of one person being fined for having an IPO on a foreign registered vehicle that is being used within the confines of the Portuguese regulations. Ditto the road tax.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cursedt
hi, what is the road tax 'para estrangeiros' that you can buy in portugal? i heard about it & that you can drive in the uk with it for a short time, when i asked at the tax office i was told that the computers would be set up to accept gb type registrations later this year (this was a couple of months ago) but due to my lamentable portuguese i couldn't find out much more about it. does any one else know anything? cheers, kirsty.
You have been able to buy it since last summer, I think.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ.

I have not heard of one person being fined for having an IPO on a foreign registered vehicle that is being used within the confines of the Portuguese regulations. Ditto the road tax.
Well if you are so sure maybe you should contact direct.gov.uk and tell them to amend their rules as you think they are wrong. ;-)
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Their guideleines do not need amending. They are hardly likely to say take your vehicle abroad with no tax or MOT! As they say on their website "You should make sure that you meet any international and national conditions for licensing and taxation" ie Portuguese Law.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Their guideleines do not need amending. They are hardly likely to say take your vehicle abroad with no tax or MOT! As they say on their website "You should make sure that you meet any international and national conditions for licensing and taxation" ie Portuguese Law.
True, and a bit about exporting and importing to the new country after a certain time limit. ;-)
They are not guidelines, they are legal requirements.
What is the Portuguese licensing and taxation laws on importing a UK car then ?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Links have been posted before. Have you not read them?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

i think the issue here is.. can you obtain a uk recognised mot certificate at anywhere other than a uk mot testing station, for a uk registered car. the answer is no, you can get an mot done in any country you choose but it will be a local mot, no good and not recognised as valid in the uk, or for uk insurance companies.
(speaking as a qualified former mot quality controller)
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:54 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

how many times do people have to answer NO for it to sink in ?:curse:
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omostra06
i think the issue here is.. can you obtain a uk recognised mot certificate at anywhere other than a uk mot testing station, for a uk registered car. the answer is no, you can get an mot done in any country you choose but it will be a local mot, no good and not recognised as valid in the uk, or for uk insurance companies.
(speaking as a qualified former mot quality controller)
I can only speak about Ibex Insurance as they are the only company I deal with who cover UK registered cars but they WILL accept IPO certificates as proof that the vehicle is roadworthy.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:20 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Links have been posted before. Have you not read them?
You mean like this one HERE.

It is not obligatory to register a foreign vehicle for private use in Portugal for the first 180 days of a visit in any one calendar year, unless the owner intends to live permanently in Portugal.

However the following conditions must be met:

1. The vehicle is registered in the name of a person who is not a resident in Portugal
2. The vehicle is brought into Portugal and driven there by its registered owner or keeper
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Nope.
It is littered with mistakes.
For example:
You do not have to be a resident to import a car, if you paying the tax.
You must have owned the car for 12 months.
Try this: Lei 22-A/2007
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Nope.
It is littered with mistakes.
For example:
You do not have to be a resident to import a car, if you paying the tax.
You must have owned the car for 12 months.
Try this: Lei 22-A/2007
No mistakes, if it is a UK reg car then it comes under UK government rules until it is matriculated onto local plates, which needs to be done as soon as possible if you are living in the country.

It can only be taken out of the UK if it is owned by a UK resident and driven by the owner.

I see you have now moved the goalposts (import) to come in line with legality instead of telling people they could drive a UK car legally if they bought your insurance, and got a Portuguese test certificate.

Check with your insurance company or broker. The companies offering specialsied policies here normally accept IPO certificates as proof of roadworthyness in place of MOT.
This is my last post on this issue as it is getting very boring trying to convince you what is the right and legal thing to do regarding foreign vehicles.
It is so much easier to sell your vehicle in the UK and buy locally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.