Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car Import before/after Brexit

Car Import before/after Brexit

Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Car Import before/after Brexit

No one knows what will happen but we hope and assume 'right to remain' will be extended to UK Citizens in Portugal in the same way as it is to be hoped the PT Citizens living in the UK will be dealt with.

My personal view is that it could be a mistake to not assume that Matriculation of Vehicles will change and that PT will have to begin to apply the same rules and costs as it would to other 'Non EU' Vehicle Imports after Brexit.

If you were thinking of doing it then I guess now is the time as long as it fits the criteria (already owned for 1 year etc).

Last edited by MrBife; Feb 24th 2017 at 9:23 am.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Import before/after Brexit

As far as (duty free) car import is concerned, it doesn't just apply to cars coming from the UK but also most other parts of the world as well......... I bought my car in (duty free) from South Africa about 5 years ago & I believe several imports from the Arab States have also been discussed either here or elsewhere in the interim period.

I don't know if it applies to all countries but it certainly applies to many & probably most other countries as well as the UK............ Therefore, I think it's unlikely that situation will change after Brexit but of course, only time will tell.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

My question was not really related to 'duty free' imports which have their own rules - more to the difference in tax calculations between cars imported from another EU member state and 'Other'.

There is a difference in charges between those two and if post Brexit UK is likely to come under 'Other' then costs will increase.

Hence the suggestion it may be better to do matriculation before Brexit
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

OK...... the thread title was 'Car Import' & then the post said matriculation so apologies for my misunderstanding.

I can only refer to my own car coming in from SA & being matriculated but thought the charges were the same as coming in from elsewhere.......... Am I wrong in that assumption?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrBife
No one knows what will happen but we hope and assume 'right to remain' will be extended to UK Citizens in Portugal in the same way as it is to be hoped the PT Citizens living in the UK will be dealt with.

My personal view is that it could be a mistake to not assume that Matriculation of Vehicles will change and that PT will have to begin to apply the same rules and costs as it would to other 'Non EU' Vehicle Imports after Brexit.

If you were thinking of doing it then I guess now is the time as long as it fits the criteria (already owned for 1 year etc).
Which ever way you do it, it will not get any cheaper:

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/used-car-import-record/41146
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

everyone eu non eu - cars from within or outside the eu basically have the same rule
import a car - pay tax
the significant difference is that eu people have the rights to import a car tax free if they meet all of the requirements
after brexit we are no longer eu so will almost certainly lose this significant right
Personally i am more worried about the right to reinvest the sale proceeds of your main residence
Old Mar 6th 2017, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
everyone eu non eu - cars from within or outside the eu basically have the same rule
import a car - pay tax
the significant difference is that eu people have the rights to import a car tax free if they meet all of the requirements
after brexit we are no longer eu so will almost certainly lose this significant right
Personally i am more worried about the right to reinvest the sale proceeds of your main residence
Hope you won't mind me correcting you on that.

The tax free import is not restricted to EU only...... I imported my car tax free from South Africa.

I'm not certain if it applies to all other countries but it does apply to many non EU countries & I believe several others that post or have posted here in the past have imported their cars from other non EU countries in recent years.

I certainly appreciate your point about tax on sale of main residence but it's going to be a while before we know that........ A50 hasn't even been triggered yet let alone negotiations even started but as whatever agreement is reached will logically be reciprocal I'd suspect the situation won't change much if at all....... but of course, only time will tell.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I imported my car tax free from South Africa.
But was that because it was a 'classic car' and no longer on the emissions calculations tables ?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrBife
But was that because it was a 'classic car' and no longer on the emissions calculations tables ?
No..... it was listed on the certificate of baggage, imported & matriculated as an ordinary vehicle & as far as I'm aware, none of the other cars from non EU countries & discussed here were classics.

As far as emissions are concerned, the individual vehicle is tested & measured on a rolling road & the actual measurement dictates the amount payable which is why you don't know what the road tax amount will be until after the test results have been submitted & also why it pays to have the car detuned before the test. ........ they don't just look up the car on a list & take the stated emission.