Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Caixa Geral de Depósitos, S.A..

Caixa Geral de Depósitos, S.A..

Old Jan 6th 2017, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Caixa Geral de Depósitos, S.A..

I have a problem with my landlord. He has given me a 19 digit IBAN number for my rental payments. Internet banking and MB require a 24 or 25 digit number so I cannot do it online and have to use Caixa Geral de Depósitos.

Problem is that I have to walk there and physically make the deposit. This restricts me to be in PT at month end to make the physical deposit.

We had to shorten our stay in the UK to come back and pay our rent.

I have the Caixa App but it is so confusing. Is there a way around this? I have no contact details of my landlord.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caixa Geral de Depósitos, S.A..

Originally Posted by Ukkram
I have a problem with my landlord. He has given me a 19 digit IBAN number for my rental payments. Internet banking and MB require a 24 or 25 digit number so I cannot do it online and have to use Caixa Geral de Depósitos.

Problem is that I have to walk there and physically make the deposit. This restricts me to be in PT at month end to make the physical deposit.

I have the Caixa App but it is so confusing. Is there a way around this? I have no contact details of my landlord.

It looks like you have the local part of the number (BBAN) but not the International element IBAN). It should be quite easy to recreate the full IBAN. See:
www.ibancalculator.com/

PTkk bbbb ssss cccc cccc cccx x

k = IBAN check digits (always = "50")
b = National bank code (numeric only)
s = Branch code (numeric only)
c = Account number (numeric only)
x = National check digits (numeric only)

Or ask your friendly bank clerk in the UK, as long as you know the target bank name and country.

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 6th 2017 at 7:32 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:29 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.economias.pt/diferenca-entre-nib-e-iban/
OK, I thought he might have given you the "old" NIB rather than an IBAN, which would just involve putting PT50 in front. But the numbers didn't add up. So I checked on the site above - and the NIB was 21 characters.

So, then I thought he has given you his CXG account number, but I think that's only 13 digits.

The IBAN (which you need to use any online banking) is made up of:
PT50 (signifying Portugal);
The next 8 numbers identify the bank and branch;
The next 11 numbers are the account number (padded with zeros to the left, if necessary);
The last 2 numbers are a checksum

If CXG can put the money into his account using the number he has given you, then it must be valid - so I'd hazard a guess that it's a short version of the bank/branch code (maybe only branch as it's within the same bank), the account number and the checksum. That could give you 19 characters.

Ask at the bank if they can give you the IBAN for the account they're crediting - they might get cute and say they can't tell you - but you already have the account number and it's only really useful for paying-in anyway!
Old Jan 7th 2017, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

My landlord lives in Lisbon. The number starts with PT 0035 and thirteen digits.
The IBAN Checker states this;
Branch number not found.
Acc. checksum not checked.

This leads me to believe that my landlord has an account with Caixa Geral de Depósitos as it is cheap.
My BPI bank cannot help with this and the staff at Caixa Geral de Depósitos do not understand English so I cannot ask them to explain how their online banking app works.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 9:44 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Many Portuguese will use CXG because it is the national bank and not privately owned. Whether or not it is cheap depends on the products held. I banked with BES but luckily found then to be untrustworthy before they went TU - CXG seemed not sexy but stable in comparison. Lucky break!

I find it unbelievable that nobody in your CXG branch speaks enough English to help you. I normally start in Portuguese only to find that their English is better! However, if nobody in branch can help you, ask for someone to contact you. Whatever the number you have is, it enables CXG to target the correct account and that account has an associated IBAN. Persevere......
Old Jan 7th 2017, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

My landlord lives in Lisbon. The number starts with PT 0035 and thirteen digits.
The IBAN Checker states this;
Branch number not found.
Acc. checksum not checked.

This leads me to believe that my landlord has an account with Caixa Geral de Depósitos as it is cheap.
My BPI bank cannot help with this and the staff at Caixa Geral de Depósitos do not understand English so I cannot ask them to explain how their online banking app works.
Nearly there, the IBAN should start PT50 0035 xxxx (branch code) etc

Do you know where the branch which notionally holds the account is?
Note: Some banks no longer use the individual branch codes for eg online banking, but a generic branch code of the head office.

see Lista de bancos em Portugal com códigos IBAN BIC

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 7th 2017 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Nearly there, the IBAN should start PT50 0035 xxxx (branch code) etc

Do you know where the branch which notionally holds the account is?
Note: Some banks no longer use the individual branch codes for eg online banking, but a generic branch code of the head office.

see Lista de bancos em Portugal com códigos IBAN BIC
Thanks. So far I am missing 4 characters. Perhaps this is the bank code but as I suspect he banks with CXG this is not needed. I have no contact details of my landlord except his 19 character banking details.
I will have to go to a larger branch to find some one who understands English.

Last edited by Ukkram; Jan 8th 2017 at 4:15 pm.