Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Buying car in Portugal to return to the UK

Buying car in Portugal to return to the UK

Old Apr 24th 2023, 7:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying car in Portugal to return to the UK

Originally Posted by coleio
My advice is to you is try saying "Pretty Please" rather then being negatively aggressive if you want something to advance your (lack of) knowledge without having to pay for it.
I don't have a dog in the fight. Share if you want to, but it won't impact me either way whether you do or don't.

So you're not hurting, or even offending me, you're just depriving others of your knowledge and experience.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

I think what coleio means is that they got away with it.
Many expats have registered their vehicles as being off road or exported but they then never re register them in their country of residence
But if "pretty please" they could tell us how they did it legally I think we would be very grateful
Old Apr 25th 2023, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Yaxle123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
I think what coleio means is that they got away with it.
Many expats have registered their vehicles as being off road or exported but they then never re register them in their country of residence
But if "pretty please" they could tell us how they did it legally I think we would be very grateful

Thanks everyone so far for the responses. Definitely giving me some options to look into rather than the more hopeless position I felt like I was in at the end of last week!

From my online research, I thought you could only take small dogs in the cabin of planes when travelling to European airports? I thought I’d understood that because of the UK’s fear of potentially importing rabies, even if the dog is vaccinated and has taken the tablets the UK requires, this only allows you to take the dog in the cargo, regardless of size? If that’s incorrect and you can take the dog in the plane with you (she’s under 5kg) then that would solve my problems to be honest but being a ‘pandemic puppy’ she doesn’t like being alone in the house, let alone in the cargo of a plane so it wouldn’t be fair on her for me to put her through that. Let me know though if anyone has links to anything that shows I’m mistaken!

And lastly, I’m happy to offer the ‘pretty please’ 😅. Would love to know any little tricks or grey areas you’ve found! Thanks!
Old Apr 25th 2023, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

CorToria is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought as the replies suggest it’s probably a non-starter for you to buy a UK car.

How about asking on Facebook etc if anyone driving back to UK has sufficient space for you and your dog? If it meant having to leave some possessions down here you could always fly back later to collect?

Old Apr 26th 2023, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Yaxle123 - if you do decide to go with the little dog on a flight back to the UK try a google search using "travel by plane small dog to uk from portugal" which brings up some useful information.
Some basics - TAP will not transport pets to UK. KLM will transport pets but I did not see a particular reference to going to UK - perhaps to Amsterdam and then get to the ferry to UK? You will need to contact KLM for details. Website - https://www.klm.pt/en/information/pets
This website might help you too - it is a company that does pet transport for you (at a cost!!) but has useful information too - https://www.fetchapet.co.uk/how-pet-...-airlines.html
This is the link to info at Lisbon Airport - https://www.aeroportolisboa.pt/en/li...ling-with-pets
Hope this helps?
Old Apr 26th 2023, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Andyj100 will become famous soon enoughAndyj100 will become famous soon enough

I though the UK did not allow pets in the passenger cabin of planes, only in the hold. It's expensive to put them in the hold (and stressful).
This site give a convenient list of charter plane companies that will let the dog ride in the cabin
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...for-pet-travel