Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

buying a car in portugal

buying a car in portugal

Old Feb 6th 2016, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sailfree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default buying a car in portugal

Sometime over the next 12 months I will need to buy a Portuguese registered car. It needs to be big enough to collect say 2 visitors and luggage from airport yet small enough to manage the narrow streets of Nazare. Thinking of a skoda octavia estate. Are cars dearer in Portugal than UK? Is there a website for cheapest insurance. Is there a annual road tax
As you can see I am a complete newcomer so any advice appreciated. Anyone going back to UK that need to sell a good suitable car?
Old Feb 6th 2016, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a car in portugal

cars here are generally thought to be the most expensive in Europe and you'll get an idea of price at Standvirtual - O N�1 em Carros Usados, Carros Baratos

The good news is dealers here are legally required to give a 12 month guarantee and the bad news is many of them fail to stand by that guarantee when the smelly brown stuff hits the fan and my advice would be to only buy from a branded main dealer and never from an ordinary used car lot.

Lots of insurance companies have websites but you'd be better off asking your neighbours where they get theirs from. Good news on that is insurance is generally cheaper here than the UK and bad news is it's virtually impossible to get fully comp cover on any car older than 6 years.

As an example, I pay about €190 per year for my 3.2 litre TD Jeep and just €38 per year for my classic Jeep.

Road tax is payable and price depends on age of car and size of engine.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Originally Posted by mfesharne

As an example, I pay about €190 per year for my 3.2 litre TD Jeep and just €38 per year for my classic Jeep.
I pay $200 per month in the USA. Another good reason to move to Portugal!
Old Feb 7th 2016, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Another couple of sites to have a look at are Anúncios grátis, classificados grátis: carros usados, motas usadas, casas, apartamentos e produtos usados de ocasião - CustoJusto.pt and olx.pt for used cars. Price wise, you can pretty much expect to pay double what you would on say a 5 year old octavia.

Don't think cheap insurance, think good insurance. Don't buy on the net and avoid the banks, get a local agency who you can talk to and get help if need be.