Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Building work on house dated before 1951

Building work on house dated before 1951

Old Oct 16th 2023, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Building work on house dated before 1951

Hi All
I am after some information as to what can and can't be done on a house built before 1951 the house dates from 1937.
What are the rules for what you can do and what needs permission.
Example replacing a rotten wood floor to a Concrete block and beam floor.
Thanks
Peter
Old Oct 16th 2023, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building work on house dated before 1951

New house? Are congratulations in order?

You can't make structural changes without a permit (engineering and so on is required), or change the doors, windows, or exterior dimensions.

I did change doors and windows, permission was easy for that.

My builders said; if it doesn't show, it never happened.

I recommend adding floor heating loops while you're in there.
Old Oct 19th 2023, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi All
I am after some information as to what can and can't be done on a house built before 1951 the house dates from 1937.
What are the rules for what you can do and what needs permission.
Example replacing a rotten wood floor to a Concrete block and beam floor.
Thanks
Peter
Sorry I don't have any helpful information but it is something I am going to look into. Pay attention to liveaboard's advice. Even if you don't put the heating tubes in. The old houses here do not have floor membranes. I am in the Algarve and on a hill but the amount of rising damp is surprising. The dogs and I get through the winters with electric blankets which drive off the damp This, and a wood burning stove. Nice fish, they look like chilids from the Rift Valley lakes. All the best with your project.
Old Oct 20th 2023, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We actually dug down about 25cm or more, added a strong reinforced concrete pad (the house had only perimeter foundation), then floormate high density foam insulation, and then a top concrete layer with more steel and the heating loops.
With those tubes under the floor, any heat source you like can be used to heat the house. With the high surface area, lower water temperature is required which is really efficient with a heat pump.
And the structure of the house is much improved too.