Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Best value real estate

Best value real estate

Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

EdCasey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best value real estate

Where is the best value off the beaten track real estate in Portugal.
Close to historic/interesting Village location within 30 minute drive of beach and within close proximity of interesting walks etc??
Old Jan 15th 2016, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best value real estate

It's extremely subjective; are you an apartment type [they're giving them away these days], or do you have land lust [acres and acres....] do you need hard wired internet, TV, and phone?
Paved road?
Quick access to medical care?
Irrigation water [domestic water is a given]?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liveaboard
It's extremely subjective; are you an apartment type [they're giving them away these days], or do you have land lust [acres and acres....] do you need hard wired internet, TV, and phone?
Paved road?
Quick access to medical care?
Irrigation water [domestic water is a given]?
To be honest we are not over fussy, location is important, but we have lived in apartments and houses so would happily accept either and if giving away apartments we would take one!?
We do want Internet and cable TV and would want cell phone service.
We do want to be part of community, not too isolated...

Thanks your response.
Ed
Old Jan 15th 2016, 3:37 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EdCasey
To be honest we are not over fussy, location is important, but we have lived in apartments and houses so would happily accept either and if giving away apartments we would take one!?
We do want Internet and cable TV and would want cell phone service.
We do want to be part of community, not too isolated...

Thanks your response.
Ed
First, find your spot, then see what it offers .... otherwise you'll be chasing your tail forever.

You may have to compromise on your wishlist if you stray too far from major conurbations ..... but a cousin in the sticks between Aveiro and Viseu has cheap as chips all-you-can-eat fibre broadband, TV and phone for not much more than I pay for a landline and ADSL. I don't know how or why it's available to him, but I won't hold my breath waiting for the same in the Alentejo
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Internet availability/speed etc will vary almost from house to house in all areas so you need to be VERY careful about that if you need a really good connection.

For example, although it took me a while to get it, we have a really fast, unlimited fibre optic connection whilst my friend who lives very close by can only get a tiny fraction of what we have.

Oh and you can't trust the promises of the ISP companies because they'll promise you the world just to get your signature on the dotted line but once they have it, they'll muck you about like you wouldn't believe.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Apartments in Lagos [not a bad place to live] are as low as E46,000.
New builds 80 - 125,000.
You can often get bank owned properties for nothing down.
There are LOTS of apartments all over.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Apartments in Lagos [not a bad place to live] are as low as E46,000.
New builds 80 - 125,000.
You can often get bank owned properties for nothing down.
There are LOTS of apartments all over.
Thanks..Can you recommend a realtor in lagos?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macliam
First, find your spot, then see what it offers .... otherwise you'll be chasing your tail forever.

You may have to compromise on your wishlist if you stray too far from major conurbations ..... but a cousin in the sticks between Aveiro and Viseu has cheap as chips all-you-can-eat fibre broadband, TV and phone for not much more than I pay for a landline and ADSL. I don't know how or why it's available to him, but I won't hold my breath waiting for the same in the Alentejo
Finding a spot the wife and myself agree on is likely to be the main challenge !!! But we do need Internet and cell service to keep in touch with kids overseas... Thank you for your response..
Old Jan 16th 2016, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks..Can you recommend a realtor in lagos?
Sorry, can't help you there; my guy went under shortly after we bought our place in 2008.

You can start with the big 2; era.pt and remax.pt

I like Estate agents Algarve Lagos Properties-Apartments Villas Townhouses Plots for sale - Marcela Properties Lagos but I never actually dealt with them.

We bought a house with land near the sea; there still aren't many of those available.

But in Vale da Telha [Aljezur] you can get a [nearly] new build villa with pool for as low as 160,000

That's less than the construction cost.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, can't help you there; my guy went under shortly after we bought our place in 2008.

You can start with the big 2; era.pt and remax.pt

I like Estate agents Algarve Lagos Properties-Apartments Villas Townhouses Plots for sale - Marcela Properties Lagos but I never actually dealt with them.

We bought a house with land near the sea; there still aren't many of those available.

But in Vale da Telha [Aljezur] you can get a [nearly] new build villa with pool for as low as 160,000

That's less than the construction cost.
Thanks your response..
A pool is not important to us, we had one before when kids were younger and the only one who used it regularly was the dog!
Anything we can buy for less than construction cost is obviously a good deal unless place is falling down..
Old Jan 16th 2016, 11:55 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks your response..
A pool is not important to us, we had one before when kids were younger and the only one who used it regularly was the dog!
Anything we can buy for less than construction cost is obviously a good deal unless place is falling down..
..... or there's another problem. I looked at VDT a few years back. It was an illegal construction on a natural reserve, plus it's windy and cold in winter due to its position.

'when something seems too good to be true, it usually is.'
Old Jan 17th 2016, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

There are legal disputes regarding future construction, but existing buildings are legal.
I'm not a VDT fan either, too many empty houses [owned by people who don't live there] and half built ones.
At the same time, there are people who do live there and the services are all connected. If you're looking for bargain properties, it's a place that should be visited.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

There are legal disputes regarding future construction, but existing buildings are legal.
I'm not a VDT fan either, too many empty houses [owned by people who don't live there] and half built ones.
At the same time, there are people who do live there and the services are all connected. If you're looking for bargain properties, it's a place that should be visited.
Thanks your feedback.
We will check out the area.
Ed
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

To give yourself an idea on a national scale try Reemax.pt and era.pt
Old Jan 18th 2016, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gedscottish
To give yourself an idea on a national scale try Reemax.pt and era.pt
Thank you - will do..