Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

BBC New log in requirements for I Player

BBC New log in requirements for I Player

Old May 13th 2017, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC New log in requirements for I Player

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Of course they will - the BBC has admitted that they will use the information to identify licence dodgers. So mickey mouse 1-1-1990 will have a bit of a problem.
See
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/account-signin

This item says that login information is shared with TV licencing.
There is also an unsatisfactory explanation why you cannot access iPlayer overseas in the FAQ section.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 6:29 am
Banned

garycarlyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Of course they will - the BBC has admitted that they will use the information to identify licence dodgers. So mickey mouse 1-1-1990 will have a bit of a problem.
Thay wont be able to if the person doesnt even live in the UK.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garycarlyle
Thay wont be able to if the person doesnt even live in the UK.
Not sure of the relevance - if you don't live in the UK then axiomatically you can't be a licence dodger since you should not have a licence anyway!

In practice, the BBC will simply not accept your registration and you will not be able to login.

I'm sure that some clever people will find a devious way of circumventing the rules in due course (if they feel it is morally acceptable). But the real issue is that the rules should be updated so that if you have paid once (by a legitimate licence) why you should have to pay again or choose an illegal solution, to watch BBC content - even when you are on holiday.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
Good question
Because when the BBC buy in TV programmes from external providers they are buying the right to show them in the UK only and agreeing with the provider that they will do all they can to ensure that they are only seen by people who a geographically within the UK.

The job of the programme providers is to sell those same rights again to France, to Portugal, to Zimbabwe etc etc

Maybe in the future when DRM moves on a little the providers themselves will release programmes on a pay to view basis. Sadly/luckily hackers consider all TV and indeed Music content as fair game, have no interest in generating revenue for the originators and quickly find a way to circumvent the protection methods.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrBife
Because when the BBC buy in TV programmes from external providers they are buying the right to show them in the UK only and agreeing with the provider that they will do all they can to ensure that they are only seen by people who a geographically within the UK.

The job of the programme providers is to sell those same rights again to France, to Portugal, to Zimbabwe etc etc

Maybe in the future when DRM moves on a little the providers themselves will release programmes on a pay to view basis. Sadly/luckily hackers consider all TV and indeed Music content as fair game, have no interest in generating revenue for the originators and quickly find a way to circumvent the protection methods.
You're right Mr Bife but the question is not what?; it is why? In this modern connected world then geographic location is not really relevant as long as you have paid you should be able to view. The BBC should revisit it's agreements with providers.