British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   BBC New log in requirements for I Player (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/bbc-new-log-requirements-i-player-896685/)

Merched May 12th 2017 4:02 am

BBC New log in requirements for I Player

Anyone got any advice on how to go about this as asks for DOB and post code. What is the situation for those of us that use via a VPN? Will they be able to check if we have aTV license in the UK ? All ideas gratefully received.

carvoeiro May 12th 2017 4:10 am

Re: BBC New log in requirements for I Player

just make one up - surely you didn't create an account with your real name

i use W1A 1AA - and 1-1-1900

Merched May 12th 2017 4:28 am

Have note created an account yet - certainly not since ive been here in PT.Do you mean just the post code or all other details? Apparently they need to verify your registration via e mail.

peterfc May 12th 2017 4:32 am

Hi

You don't need to use password and username just read the link below you get more than just BBC. Use the links to robs satellite site

Peter

http://britishexpats.com/forum/portu...filmon-896196/

carvoeiro May 12th 2017 4:33 am

yep - i set up an email with microsoft just for that purpose - to keep such things as this all in one place
the postcode is a little joke - its the bbc's - i used to work next door

carvoeiro May 12th 2017 4:36 am

Originally Posted by peterfc (Post 12251543)
Hi

You don't need to use password and username just read the link below you get more than just BBC. Use the links to robs satellite site

Peter

http://britishexpats.com/forum/portu...filmon-896196/

i like that player - even though he is already asking for contributions - but isn't it just live
iplayer gives you more - ie access to previous programs and hd

just looked again at robs etc and as of today its members only and you have to pay

seems the formerly free people have decided to cash in on the demise of free filmon

RichardHenshall May 12th 2017 9:08 am

Originally Posted by carvoeiro (Post 12251522)
... i use W1A 1AA - and 1-1-1900

That shouldn't raise any eyebrows. There must be loads of 117-year old people on the BBC's payroll who are using BBC iPlayer at work. ;)

MikeJ May 12th 2017 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Merched (Post 12251510)
Anyone got any advice on how to go about this as asks for DOB and post code. What is the situation for those of us that use via a VPN? Will they be able to check if we have aTV license in the UK ? All ideas gratefully received.

Of course they will - the BBC has admitted that they will use the information to identify licence dodgers. So mickey mouse 1-1-1990 will have a bit of a problem.

MikeJ May 12th 2017 10:18 am

What I would like to know is: if you have demonstrated that you have paid for a licence to view copyright content then why should where you watch have any relevance? So if you register with the iPlayer service will it still be geoblocked if you sign in correctly when abroad? And if so - WHY?

AliceCaroline May 12th 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12251705)
What I would like to know is: if you have demonstrated that you have paid for a licence to view copyright content then why should where you watch have any relevance? So if you register with the iPlayer service will it still be geoblocked if you sign in correctly when abroad? And if so - WHY?

That's a good point. If you have to prove you have a TV licence to watch iPlayer then you think that they'd let you watch it abroad.

But I guess the new system is easy enough to get around with a VPN and a friend in the UK willing to share his postcode and date of birth with you.

carvoeiro May 12th 2017 10:43 am

just tell them you are theresa may and they will let you get away with anything

RichardHenshall May 12th 2017 10:44 am

An email address can be as anonymous as you like, your date of birth (if real) at best narrows you down to one of about 2,400 people in the UK and your postcode (even if real) only identifies your postal route. Someone else's postcode from the same region of the UK will get you the 'correct' regionalisation.

You're probably more likely to be caught by a TV detector van, even in Portugal. ;)

Do you have to give your date of birth when you buy a TV licence (when you're not looking for the free one for the over-75s)?

AliceCaroline May 12th 2017 10:51 am

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall (Post 12251724)
An email address can be as anonymous as you like, your date of birth (if real) at best narrows you down to one of about 2,400 people in the UK and your postcode (even if real) only identifies your postal route. Someone else's postcode from the same region of the UK will get you the 'correct' regionalisation.

You're probably more likely to be caught by a TV detector van, even in Portugal. ;)

Do you have to give your date of birth when you buy a TV licence (when you're not looking for the free one for the over-75s)?

I guess if they can link your post code with the electoral role they will know if you are fibbing or not. You do give your date of birth for that.
I guess it all depends how much data sharing goes on.

quiltman May 12th 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline (Post 12251726)
I guess if they can link your post code with the electoral role they will know if you are fibbing or not. You do give your date of birth for that.
I guess it all depends how much data sharing goes on.

I signed up months ago using my old UK postcode and my throwaway email. no problems so long as I use a VPN - I use HOXX free for firefox and Chrome and iplayer seems to work fine.

BEVS May 12th 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12251705)

Good question