Any Expats around Mafra area

Any Expats around Mafra area

Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:09 am
Rui
Just Joined

Rui is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Expats around Mafra area

Hello all.

I am not a British but Portuguese, however I have lived in the UK for 36 years and now I am wanting to return to Portugal with my wife and kids.
Originally I am from Madeira but only lived there for a few years until we came to the UK.
We are looking at properties around north Lisbon and would like to know if there is a British expat community around this area?

I have 2 kids one of 3.5 and other 18months would like to know of others with young children.

Thanks All

Last edited by Rui; Apr 1st 2010 at 10:52 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:34 pm
Rui
Just Joined

Default Re: Any Expats around Mafra area

As there is no replies......

I guess this is a pretty good place to get away from all you Brits
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rui
Not quite. I remember many years ago taking a holiday in a small town called Colares not far from Mafra. I was working at the shipyard in Lisbon (Lisnave) at the time and always thought that Colares would be a great place to live. The hotel I stayed in, at the time, was owned by an Englishman called Ernie Clay who was the chairman of Fulham Football Club then. I remember their being a small number of ex-pat Brits coming to the hotel then and this was in the days before the EU was formed so there was not as many Brits retiring overseas.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:44 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rui
Hello all.

I am not a British but Portuguese, however I have lived in the UK for 36 years and now I am wanting to return to Portugal with my wife and kids.
Originally I am from Madeira but only lived there for a few years until we came to the UK.
We are looking at properties around north Lisbon and would like to know if there is a British expat community around this area?

I have 2 kids one of 3.5 and other 18months would like to know of others with young children.

Thanks All
Hi I am from the Spanish forum, I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago. Returning to Spain after living in the UK since I was 7.

Be prepared for a big shock, if you have never lived in Potrugal as an adult in can be very strange. Childhood memories and all that.

In fact in some ways I think things are sometimes more complicated being an "expat" in your own country, if you see what I mean.

I wish you good luck in your move,

Cheers, Jose Luis
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:56 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rui

I'm not too far away...I just don't like mixing with other Expats
Blame almost 3 years in the Algarve
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JLFS
Hi I am from the Spanish forum, I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago. Returning to Spain after living in the UK since I was 7.

Be prepared for a big shock, if you have never lived in Potrugal as an adult in can be very strange. Childhood memories and all that.

In fact in some ways I think things are sometimes more complicated being an "expat" in your own country, if you see what I mean.

I wish you good luck in your move,

Cheers, Jose Luis
Reverse culture shock is very real. I am going back to the UK after over 30 years in South Africa and Canada. I only intended to be gone for a one year contract. After a few years in England, I hope to be able to move to Portugal. No doubt, there are pros and cons everywhere and it is up to each of us to figure out what we want, which is not always that easy. Despite everything, I think the southern European lifestyle has plenty of pros.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

billybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rui

Hey Rui welcome to majestic mafra, I have loads of kids too

Billybob
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:25 pm
Rui
Just Joined

Originally Posted by billybob
Hey Rui welcome to majestic mafra, I have loads of kids too

Billybob
Hi Billybob

Where abouts are you?
We are going to Portugal (Torres Vedras) we will be looking at a few properties so please tell me where you are so I can avoid it, that goes to Cleri too

All joking aside would be nice to meet up for a coffee, how old are the kids and how long have you been there and are you enjoying it still?

Rui
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:27 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rui
Hi Billybob

Where abouts are you?
We are going to Portugal (Torres Vedras) we will be looking at a few properties so please tell me where you are so I can avoid it, that goes to Cleri too

All joking aside would be nice to meet up for a coffee, how old are the kids and how long have you been there and are you enjoying it still?

Rui

I don't know if you are aware Rui,but Torres Vedras is hellish windy
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

billybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rui
Hi Billybob

Where abouts are you?

Rui

Private message me. I would recommend Mafra to live over Torres, then again I have never lived in Torres