Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The "all about me and my move questions" thread!

The "all about me and my move questions" thread!

Old Feb 24th 2019, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "all about me and my move questions" thread!

Originally Posted by Red Eric
It's what Mac and Mabel was alluding to.

I think the IMT office for you to do this at would be in Leiria.
Yeah I can see that now, I'd read it as being the immediate exchange but makes more sense that it was option one.

I'm just being very VERY careful now as I've already made an error that has cost me stress and thousands.... including my NHR being rejected (though I'm assured my appeal will be allowed now that they know I'm just dumb!)
Old Feb 24th 2019, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

hi pilot

if you are closer to santarem you can register your uk license there , I did so last month hth
Old Feb 24th 2019, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dingg, I may actually use Lisbon as I pass through lots, but thanks for both suggestions
Old Feb 24th 2019, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
HOLY *&^%..... Just realised that in the chaos of the last few months I never replied/thanked Mac and Mabel for the previous info DOH!

My sincere apologies and genuine thanks!
De nada 😀 Hope the sale went through smoothly for you. What went wrong with the NHR application, out of interest?
Old Feb 24th 2019, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

The house purchase went well thanks, however as it went through as my new primary residence (as I have no uk home now) when I applied for my NHR a couple of weeks ago timing it to my actual move here full time it was rejected as my application was for 2019 yet I was already listed as resident from November therefore 2018...... breaching the rule that you can’t have been a resident in Portugal in any of the previous 5yrs DOH!
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:40 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
I'm just being very VERY careful now as I've already made an error that has cost me stress and thousands.... including my NHR being rejected (though I'm assured my appeal will be allowed now that they know I'm just dumb!)
Tell me to mind my own business in whatever your preferred phraseology by all means if you wish , but if you don't mind talking about the matter what was the general nature of your error besides the NHR application (or was that and the house purchase it)? If it's any consolation, by the way, I think you'd have paid a rather higher stamp duty if it hadn't gone through as a primary residence.

Be interesting to know how that appeal goes too, if you get a chance to update when you know.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Tell me to mind my own business in whatever your preferred phraseology by all means if you wish , but if you don't mind talking about the matter what was the general nature of your error besides the NHR application (or was that and the house purchase it)? If it's any consolation, by the way, I think you'd have paid a rather higher stamp duty if it hadn't gone through as a primary residence.

Be interesting to know how that appeal goes too, if you get a chance to update when you know.

Not at all, it's only by people like ourselves sharing info that helps us all benefit as a group.

I guess it was a two fold error....
1) I didn't realise that the declaration for stamp duty of it being my primary residence would tie up to my NHR application, foolish but my logic was that because I owned no other property anywhere then it was indeed my primary residence however as I wasn't starting to live in Portugal until feb/March that I am not actually a Portuguese resident yet.
In hindsight I should of signed the pre contract and postponed the deed signing until after Jan 1st.

2) Being ignorant of the issue putting my application date as 2019 not 2018 is what has caused the NHR rejection issue.

Unfortunately as the property was VERY cheap I only saved around 700euros on stamp duty but 'could of, should of' isn't going to spoil my new life here, it just means I'll have 9yrs NHR not 10yrs as Nov/Dec 2018 will be my first year.

I'm hoping to hear about the appeal soon but fortunately I managed to gain access to the main tax office and speak to the chief tax inspector In Lisbon.... thankfully he did stamp a letter saying he had received my appeal (appeals to be received in writing within 14days), explained my errors and saw no problem with appeal, however then showed me 3 5ft high stacks of appeal letters he had to consider already, so it may take time for anyone waiting!
Old May 3rd 2019, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

You currently have 2 options, one slightly less onerous and absolutely free of potential problems / delays.

The simple option is to register your UK licence - this involves submitting a photocopy of your UK licence, exhibiting the original and your resident registration certificate and completing a form. You subsequently receive a letter to carry about with your UK licence when driving in Portugal and keeps you sweet with the authorities until the licence expires at which point you are obliged to exchange it.

The other way is to go straight for the exchange, which entails (in addition to showing a couple of the standard documents) undergoing a medical, paying a fee and handing in your UK licence to be substituted with a temporary permit only valid for driving in Portugal and an indeterminate wait until your PT licence arrives.
Just reviving this....
Step 1 carried out today, done in 30mins and very friendly.

Info to add... as mentioned they believe if brexit happens then this method will be null and void however they themselves have conflicting info on what will happen next.

Question I forgot but maybe somebody here knows... using this method are all licence classes honoured? I know the other method has had mixed results.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2019, 5:33 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a registered licence is good for all the categories specified on it (hence free of one of the potential problems of exchanging, where it's possible you lose some).
Old May 3rd 2019, 6:36 pm
Polished expat

Also, on the matter of conflicting info re situation in case of Brexit, this was published on the IMT website on 11th April. Can't remember for sure whether it's been posted before although I have a feeling it has. It covers various scenarios, the main point being that even in the event of a no deal, you won't be left immediately in breach of any law and forced to take a driving test as a result

Brexit FAQ – Driving Licences
Old May 4th 2019, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Eric, top info as always