Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The "all about me and my move questions" thread!

The "all about me and my move questions" thread!

Old Nov 11th 2018, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default The "all about me and my move questions" thread!

Hi again everyone,

As my request for help previously was so successful I thought I'd follow it up with not 1, not 2, but hundreds of questions!
I've had a very stressful 2 years in the UK and I really want to start my new life in Portugal as stress free as possible and the fellow expats knowledge here is without question invaluable.

In case background makes a difference to answers, I'm British, bought in Obidos (Silver coast), still working in UK part time (less than 90days to avoid being tax resident), no family or partner moving with me, no Portuguese yet, not decided yet whether being in Portugal over or under the 183days residency will work best yet, anything else that may be relevant please ask.

Not wanting to monopolize the whole forum section I thought it far more polite to start one thread rather than dozens all about each of my pleas for help.

I'll try and keep it too just a single or couple of questions at a time to prevent confusion, and would also like to thank everyone in advance for help, suggestions, humour and hopefully some friendships.

so....
1) Time limits...

For those who have already moved there either on the NHR scheme or not, what are the things that you did or wished you did in time?
(I've read bits about "you need to apply within 3months of etc", or "you only have 2months to etc", or worse "you will be fined a penalty if you don't etc")
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "all about me and my move questions" thread!

Well that went down like a lead balloon!
ok so maybe too general so I'll try a little more specific...

2) What are the dates specific taxes have to be submitted/paid?
I.e. income returns and local/council tax?
(I've read various dates from Dec31st - April 1st)
Old Nov 20th 2018, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

IMI (council tax) - Bills are usually sent out during March, for payment during April.

IRS (personal income tax) - tax return relating to income earned between 1 Jan and 31 Dec of previous year, to be submitted between 1 April and 31 May. Bill usually received during August, with a payment limit date some 4-6 weeks later.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much I'll add that to my calendar.

I often read that Portugal is a land that loves to hand out fines to late submissions, are there any other taxes or submissions I need to be aware of?
Old Nov 20th 2018, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Well it depends on your personal financial circumstance whether any earnings-related taxes other than IRS apply to you/your business. Remember, as a resident in Portugal, you must declare all income earned worldwide.

If you’re going to apply for NHR tax status, you must do this before the 31st March of the year following the year in which you became resident I.e. if you become resident in PT this year (2018) you must apply for NHR status by 31st March 2019 and submit your first IRS tax return in Portugal between 1 April - 31 May 2019 for income earned during 2018.

Erm...I suppose IUC/vehicle tax - paid during the same month each year as the month in which your vehicle was originally registered. And the annual IMT test/MOT must be carried out by the anniversary of the exact date that your vehicle was registered, although I think you can take it for test up to 3 months in advance, and the test date for the next year won’t change, so can effectively get a 15-month IMT, if I’m correct. It’s definitely at least 2 months early.

Other deadlines:
After 3 months (or before) and before end of 4 month - get residence
Inform AT/Finanças that you are now resident (if you were previously non-resident with them) within 60 days of gaining residencia
By end of month 5 register your overseas driving licence at local IMTT office (DVLA)
With residencia you can register for state healthcare at centro de saude (also take NIF and passport). If you are in receipt of a UK state pension you will have to provide Social Security with a completed S1 form from UK, I believe. Otherwise, straight to the health centre you go.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
... Erm...I suppose IUC/vehicle tax - paid during the same month each year as the month in which your vehicle was originally registered. And the annual IMT test/MOT must be carried out by the anniversary of the exact date that your vehicle was registered, although I think you can take it for test up to 3 months in advance, and the test date for the next year won’t change, so can effectively get a 15-month IMT, if I’m correct. It’s definitely at least 2 months early. ...
As Mac and Mabel says but, being a pedant, the test is more commonly known as an IPO test, even if the IMT (Instituto da Mobilidade e dos Transportes) is involved.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
As Mac and Mabel says but, being a pedant, the test is more commonly known as an IPO test, even if the IMT (Instituto da Mobilidade e dos Transportes) is involved.
Of course it is, thank you. Doh!!
Old Feb 24th 2019, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Just bringing this alive again..... “By end of month 5 register your overseas driving licence at local IMTT office (DVLA)”, I seem to read differing opinions and info on this. Could anyone explain what happens... most importantly do you lose your uk licence and acquire a Portuguese one?

If it helps clarify, I would like somehow to get my Portugal licence to allow me to buy and own/drive a car in Portugal as I’m now resident but would also like to keep my uk driving licence for use every other month when I’m in the uk for 3weeks with work, all suggestions welcome
Old Feb 24th 2019, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

In theory, you can only have one driving licence. When you obtain a Portuguese one, they send your English one back to the UK.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to stop u driving in the Uk on the Portuguese licence?
Old Feb 24th 2019, 10:48 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
Just bringing this alive again..... “By end of month 5 register your overseas driving licence at local IMTT office (DVLA)”, I seem to read differing opinions and info on this. Could anyone explain what happens... most importantly do you lose your uk licence and acquire a Portuguese one?

If it helps clarify, I would like somehow to get my Portugal licence to allow me to buy and own/drive a car in Portugal as I’m now resident but would also like to keep my uk driving licence for use every other month when I’m in the uk for 3weeks with work, all suggestions welcome
You currently have 2 options, one slightly less onerous and absolutely free of potential problems / delays.

The simple option is to register your UK licence - this involves submitting a photocopy of your UK licence, exhibiting the original and your resident registration certificate and completing a form. You subsequently receive a letter to carry about with your UK licence when driving in Portugal and keeps you sweet with the authorities until the licence expires at which point you are obliged to exchange it.

The other way is to go straight for the exchange, which entails (in addition to showing a couple of the standard documents) undergoing a medical, paying a fee and handing in your UK licence to be substituted with a temporary permit only valid for driving in Portugal and an indeterminate wait until your PT licence arrives.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikemike
Nothing to stop u driving in the Uk on the Portuguese licence?
Its the registration and insurance in uk of a UK vehicle but a non UK licence that causes issues/increases I believe.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Red Eric

Thanks as always for your info, invaluable as ever and option 1 sounds both new and interesting to me!
Old Feb 24th 2019, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

HOLY *&^%..... Just realised that in the chaos of the last few months I never replied/thanked Mac and Mabel for the previous info DOH!

My sincere apologies and genuine thanks!
Old Feb 24th 2019, 11:54 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
Red Eric

Thanks as always for your info, invaluable as ever and option 1 sounds both new and interesting to me!
It's what Mac and Mabel was alluding to.

I think the IMT office for you to do this at would be in Leiria.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.