Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Thread split from 'new life in oz as police officer'

Thread split from 'new life in oz as police officer'

Old May 23rd 2007, 3:26 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Thread split from 'new life in oz as police officer'

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
looks like this site will not allow you to mention other sites, how petty. I have PMd ou with the details.
You might see it as petty but the url in question was put on the censor list because it was posted on this site as spam many, many times. We only have 5 sites on the censor for spamming so it's not something we do very often. We also do not go onto other forums posting spam urls for BE and we expect the same courtesy.

Thanks
Old May 27th 2007, 4:12 am
A&M
Forum Regular

A&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant future
Default Re: new life in oz as a police officer

Originally Posted by Sue
IYou might see it as petty but the url in question was put on the censor list because it was posted on this site as spam many, many times. We only have 5 sites on the censor for spamming so it's not something we do very often. We also do not go onto other forums posting spam urls for BE and we expect the same courtesy.

Thanks

Petty - I'll say, how petty to withhold a URL which leads to potential immigrants accessing information which would inevitabley assist them and support them in this very difficult process .... This particular forum which is not allowed to be mentioned has been running for over two years now, offering information, support, advice and friendship for thousands of people all in the same boat - how UN-English is the attitude of the owners of this site!

Is it because this particular (unmentionable) forum does not fianncially support British Expats whilst others who are able to freely advertise do so? Or is it just that BE can't afford the competition .....
Old May 27th 2007, 1:29 pm
Banned

mrsmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: new life in oz as a police officer

I first came onto this website as a potential applicant to South Australia Police way back in 2004 looking for advice and help with the thought of upping sticks and moving to the other side of the world. I was given a lot of advice and met some good people through this but it soon became apparent that whilst police section started out small it then really took off.

So, someone thought it would be worthy of a dedicated site. They had the time and ability to start create something that would be of great help to other like minded collegues. However, it was not long before THIS site blacklisted the link. At NO TIME did the administrator or the moderators ask for the link to be disrupted. I seriously doubt it was ever responsible for spamming on the epidemic levels claimed.

The unmentionable site in question is purely for police officers and their families looking to improve their lives. It in no way seeks to "remove" members from this site or at any time has treated britishexpats.com with the same contempt britishexpats.com has shown it.

Dare to have a little competition. Its called living in a democracy and the right of freedom of choice.

For those who do wish to have a more comprehensive insight to a proposed move come and visit a dedicated site. Its not difficult to obtain the url, its police forum with a dash between the two words, dot com.

But then again, I fully expect to be "moderated" and edited.

Ce la vie
Old May 27th 2007, 3:19 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsmuppet

So, someone thought it would be worthy of a dedicated site. They had the time and ability to start create something that would be of great help to other like minded collegues.
Thats correct, but they used our forum to promote their new site by posting links to it at every opportunity.

However, it was not long before THIS site blacklisted the link.
The reason being because they came onto this part of our forum posting links upon links in post upon post and thats why it was put on our censor list. There was no need for them to do this as we offer every member the opportunity to add a link to their site in their signature and they can add a link in our link section but the people in question choose not to do this. Yes the internet is big enough for all of us but as I stated before we wouldn't dream of going on another forum constantly posting links to BE.

I'm sure you wouldn't want a company sticking a big sign on your front lawn advertising their services without your permission would you?
Old May 27th 2007, 3:23 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by A&M
Is it because this particular (unmentionable) forum does not fianncially support British Expats whilst others who are able to freely advertise do so?
Not sure what you mean by this, all members are allowed to put a link to their site in their signature, if the site in question had done this instead of posting links it wouldn't be an issue now.
Old May 28th 2007, 8:23 am
Banned

mrsmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point

If memory serves, at the time of the inception of the police dash forum dot com, the only posting of links was done by members of this site who wished to pass on information to others. One or two particular members of both BE and the police forum did, I concede, make numerous mention of it at the beginning but they were not connected to the running or the administration of the police forum. One was very much an overly enthusiastic partner of an officer who hoped to be selected, and I remember her posts were quite over the top at times.

A lot of police officers, unlike most potential migrants, were looking at the first opportunity ever offered to them to emigrate as a valued resource, unlike doctors, nurses, hairdressers, midwives and the like. This was the first time the profession of Police Officer was accepted by the Australian government. So a few people got over excited and made mention of the forum and posted it's link for a while. Big deal. Its over and done with now. That was two years ago. Most police officers who are looking to make the move are now aware of the site as most police stations in the UK now have at least one applicant.

Surely the whole point of BE is to offer help and advice to people trying to improve their lot, not get into petty censorship because someone unconnected with the administration of it, over two years ago got a few people to look at another website.

So come on, BE, to do the "big" thing, take police dash forum dot com off your censure list and allow the currant members of BE to access a site that is miniscule in comparison through a posted link; one which offers no threat and only wants to help a specific section of potential migrants.

Better still, why not ask those who are now looking for info what they think? Is it really that troublesome to you? I doubt it.

Go on, I double dare you........
Old May 28th 2007, 8:51 am
A&M
Forum Regular

A&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sue
Not sure what you mean by this, all members are allowed to put a link to their site in their signature, if the site in question had done this instead of posting links it wouldn't be an issue now.

Think this has been answered by Mrs Muppett in her following post. Additionally just clarify - pop ups and other advertisements to other websites / URL links have to pay this site to advertise here on British Expats thus contributing to the financial running of the site which includes costs like hosting etc.
Old May 28th 2007, 11:09 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by mrsmuppet
If memory serves, at the time of the inception of the police dash forum dot com, the only posting of links was done by members of this site who wished to pass on information to others. One or two particular members of both BE and the police forum did, I concede, make numerous mention of it at the beginning but they were not connected to the running or the administration of the police forum. One was very much an overly enthusiastic partner of an officer who hoped to be selected, and I remember her posts were quite over the top at times.

A lot of police officers, unlike most potential migrants, were looking at the first opportunity ever offered to them to emigrate as a valued resource, unlike doctors, nurses, hairdressers, midwives and the like. This was the first time the profession of Police Officer was accepted by the Australian government. So a few people got over excited and made mention of the forum and posted it's link for a while. Big deal. Its over and done with now. That was two years ago. Most police officers who are looking to make the move are now aware of the site as most police stations in the UK now have at least one applicant.

Surely the whole point of BE is to offer help and advice to people trying to improve their lot, not get into petty censorship because someone unconnected with the administration of it, over two years ago got a few people to look at another website.

So come on, BE, to do the "big" thing, take police dash forum dot com off your censure list and allow the currant members of BE to access a site that is miniscule in comparison through a posted link; one which offers no threat and only wants to help a specific section of potential migrants.

Better still, why not ask those who are now looking for info what they think? Is it really that troublesome to you? I doubt it.

Go on, I double dare you........
Well you obviously are not one of the BE members in question who use this site regularly anyway. As you last post prior to posting in this thread was in 2005.

The links in question were not posted here when the other site in question started up by regular members but rather by the owners of the other site. And as I said to you in my other posts I'm sure you wouldn't want someone using your front lawn to advertise without your permission would you.
Old May 28th 2007, 11:12 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by A&M
Additionally just clarify - pop ups and other advertisements to other websites / URL links have to pay this site to advertise here on British Expats thus contributing to the financial running of the site which includes costs like hosting etc.
Oh I see. Well yes we have to pay for server and hosting costs, this site costs a fortune to run. We don't charge people for putting links in the url in their signatures though, and only run banner ads not pop-ups or pop-unders because I know myself how frustrating that is when you close a browser window only to find a load of advertising windows.
Old May 28th 2007, 11:21 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Default Re: Thread split from 'new life in oz as police officer'

I have split this from the original thread and will now close it as I have said all I am going to on this matter.