Sapol April 2010

Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Getmedownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sapol April 2010

I've been busy today sorting stuff out. Blimey, just not enough hours in the day!!

For info of those yet to book flights;

We telephoned Qantas today regarding Migrant Fares. After being put on hold for 15 mins, the call taker came back to us with a quote for a one-way migrant flight at around £950 each. I was too gobsmacked to get the exact figure. I queried this because the online booking comes up with a fare of £651. They said it was because a migrant gets extra baggage!!

Singapore were willing to fly us on the A380 for £632 with a 15 hour stop in Singapore. FREE double baggage too. All you have to do is turn up at the check in desk with an un-validated visa for indefinate stay, and the desk clerk should authorise the double baggage entitlement.

Cathay Pacific were at £680 with approx £9 per Kg for extra weight allowance!!

British Airways quoted £651 via Heathrow and Singapore. Leaving Manchester in the evening. 3hr stop in Singapore. The most interesting part was that their checked baggage allowance is 23Kg, with an extra 23Kg bag charged at only £32 if booked online! So that makes BA £683 with 46Kg baggage! Not bad!!

So BA got our thumbs up. We paid with our Credit Card just incase BA Crew hold another strike over Easter.

One more task complete!

All the best everyone

S + L

Last edited by Getmedownunder; Jan 7th 2010 at 10:44 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

michelle6266 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for your support, after a week of phone calls, we have managed to get some info, they dont know why we are not receiving our emails, they are multi sending them and there are probally to many on the list, theres a case worker for an a list and b list, we are under the a list which simon Plummer is dealing with , the b list is a lady called leah, Darren have spoke to leah she was very helpful, so feel more confident now, but we are probally going to continue having the email problems, so yes please keep sending your info, then when we receive it from you, we can phone them then.
Cant believe it is here, a few more months, and we'll be there with this weather , we cant get there quick enough.

Have you been watching WANTED DOWN UNDER ?, it really gets you in the mood, but when the family speak, its quite hard to watch, but reality is we are going and we have to deal with it, it will be fine .

We have told them our choices, were have you guys chosen ?.

Speak to you all soon.
And thank you for your support once again, it keeps us focused.

THANK YOU.
Michelle and Darren.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Ozzie Nude is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning All,

Visa Granted this morning. Flights booked.
Going a month early to check the scene out.........

Can't wait to see you all!

Ozzie N
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

silverfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Good stuff Ozzie Nude!

Same as us, passports given their stickers at the start of the week, flights booked due to arrive Adelaide March 6th!!

Time to start winding down now me thinks.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Great news for you all.

Anyone know what shift patterns they are out there ?.

Lisa have youy booked your flights yet ?.

Same for you scott when are you flying ?.

Michelle and darren.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

sunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nice

Hi Michelle

Andy enquired at a country station re shifts and they went something like 4 off, 7 nights, 2 off, 7 afternoons, 2 off and 6 days. Not sure if they are the same for Metro or not.

Andy booked his flight yesterday, he goes on Monday 22nd March from Manchester with Cathay Pacific. The flight was £575 which we didn't think was too bad. He is staying with friends for 2 weeks and then staying at the academy. The plan for me now is to definately stay behind until Tom has finished his Gcse's, if we had sold the house then i think we would have all go together but we haven't. (although we had a viewer today and they seemed to really like it but you never know do you!)

Silverfish and Ozzie Nude, glad to hear you have booked flights and have visa's!

We have asked for Port Lincoln as our first choice and Western LSA as our second choice. Going country is a good option for us financially and Port Lincoln looks lovely. The private school there has places for the children and is very reasonable fee wise. I am in contact with a dentist who will be employing another dentist in the next few months and he asked me to keep in touch so that's promising! We counden't come to a decision on the other country locations available for a second choice so we went for a metro posting.

Good luck everyone with their choices!! let's hope we get what we want. I wonder when we will find out??

Most of the people we know have asked for Western and Eastern LSA'S, not sure how many people they will want to go country, i wonder if anyone else has asked for a country location?? i can't wait to find out!!!!!!!!!

Take care everyone and i hope this snow will go soon because like you Michelle, i am getting fed up with it now!!!

Michelle, if we are lucky enough to get Port Lincoln then i will have to still come and see you for my hair cut!!!

Last edited by sunworshipper; Jan 9th 2010 at 6:23 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hello everyone, we haven't quite booked our flights yet. Bit of to'ing and fro'ing on that score!! I won't bore you with the details but we've come full circle with our chosen flights; from Qantas to Cathay Pacific to Singapore Airlines to British Airways and finally back to Qantas. Just waiting on our Australian Bank now to confirm our account number so we can book the migrant fares

Eventually we were pointed in the right direction re Migrant Fares and secured a good price with good flight times and 40Kg baggage allowance through Qantas. Once booked we are scheduled to depart on a Mar 27th flight to Adelaide. Being a bit of a big kid when it comes to aviation, I'm excited about getting the opportunity to fly on the new superjumbo A380!

Family and close friends are starting to become a bit of a stress for us. So many want to meet up for a drink/meal etc. At this rate we are going to be eating out every night of our last month in UK!! How can we say 'no'? We'd love to throw a party but sadly, with things likely to be tight in the first few months in Oz, we simply can't afford to do it! It's nice to know so many people want to celebrate with us and make sure we go!!

Those shifts Lisa must be very short. It sounds like your in work a lot on them. 2days off after 7 days in??

Good luck with your choices. It appears we may have gone for the apparent popular choices in Metro! Bit worried now we might get their 1st choice rather than our 1st or 2nd!!

Last edited by Getmedownunder; Jan 9th 2010 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Hi Lisa,

Glad you have made your choices, not easy is it, we have chosen metro as you know, but i keep saying to Darren , we should have considered country a little more, but its done now we'll take what were given.

As for cutting your hair i'd love to , but 7 hours and 15 mins driving , i think it would be a VERY EXPENSIVE HAIRCUT, , but it would be lovely to meet up with you out there sometime, with them shifts it would be very difficult to meet up.

Scott, where have you chosen location ?.

We should here soon , Well you will HAHA, where your posts will be, let us know so we can chase ours up.

Speak to you all soon.

Michelle and Darren.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

We've chosen

1. Western Adelaide LSA
2. Eastern Adelaide LSA

So what LSA's have everyone else gone for?

Last edited by Getmedownunder; Jan 10th 2010 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

silverfish is an unknown quantity at this point

We went for the same. I replied a week or so ago.
West first followed by East. Either way if we get one of our choices We will look to rent West for perhaps 6 months.

At the end of the day we will take what we get and make the best of it.

Good luck all.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Sapol April 2010

Silverfish, sounds like we'll be drawing straws in Metro! If we are all successful who's hosting the first bbq?

Michelle, my OH wants to know if you'll step in as her new hairdresser. She's in a bit of a panic about it!

Lisa, L knows you want country but she, well we BOTH hope you get your second choice! L says if it sweetens the blow, she'll offer her services with childminding for your little one! Going off what I've seen with L, she can't help spoil them!

I have heard regarding LSA's that the last intake were informed about 10days after nominations closed. Station preferences are apparently chosen during Academy. Fingers crossed everyone gets what they wished for

Last edited by Getmedownunder; Jan 10th 2010 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys,

It looks like we have all mostly chosen metro postings , hopefully we will all be close, then we can have these bbq's, because the shifts sound difficult.

Scott, yes tell your oh no prob , I can step in with the hair, that goes for everyone else too.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

sunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nicesunworshipper is just really nice

Hi Guys

Getmedownunder what lovely comments!!! thanks!! i am now wishing we didn't put country!!! although i don't think we will get it as Port Lincoln is a sought after posting and i am sure there are others that would have given it careful consideration! (surely not everyone will have put Eastern and Western?????) actually another couple we know have asked for Holden Hill.

Thanks for the offer of childminding!!!! you would be sorry for offering as she talks for England!! and that reminds me about my offer for babysitting!!! (when you have them!) although if we did get country then we may be in Metro by then, depends when your going to have them!!! it's getting complicated now!!! although looking at the shifts there is no time to do anything!!???

No matter where we are, we will always be in touch!

fingers crossed we hear soon!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: Sapol April 2010

Talking for England is L's expertise!

I hope everyone gets what they want in the end (or near as damnit!)

How is the house sale coming along Sunworshipper?

Last edited by Getmedownunder; Jan 11th 2010 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

We had a viewer on Saturday and they liked it. They have now narrowed it down to 2 properties, one of them being ours! They came tonight with their daughter as she is coming home from uni to live with them and Andy thinks she liked it. They have said they will let us know either way so we are really hoping they come back with an offer!!!

I will let you know!!! thanks for asking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.