Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

ROYAL CAYMAN ISLANDS POLICE SERVICE

ROYAL CAYMAN ISLANDS POLICE SERVICE

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Victwar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ROYAL CAYMAN ISLANDS POLICE SERVICE

Likewise for my bloke and I. Any advice would be gratefully received!
Vic
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:12 am
Banned

traffcop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stenev
Hi traffic cop,

you did well pal getting FCU after being a traffic with only 5 yrs exp - not even a DC !!!

Seems abit unbelievable to be honest, not sure if you're genuine but if you've been following this forum you'll have seen it's been plagued by a couple of complete tools 'copout' n 'sundried' aka 'Matt', so sorry for being sus

Mbeb - congrats mate - but becareful who you trust on here
Who said I'm not a DC?
Don't they have traffic crime teams in your force? Crash for cash frauds?
No?
Before that I've done fatal fail to stops - which according to ACPO guidelines is a level 1 investigation. i/e a Detective level investigation.

I don't think I've done well, I think it's fully deserved thank you very much.
(Is there an smug face icon here?)
Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

MAPLE COP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, I was employed by the RCIPS for a few years from Canada. My experience wasn’t all bad as I met a Brit in Cayman, got married and I’m now working in the UK. The rest of my experience was not great.

It is important that you know you will not be working for an organisation anything like a police service from the UK or Canada. The RCIPS was and still is backward, racist, sexist and corrupt.

Having been routinely armed in Canada I was amazed that I was sent alone and unarmed to intervene in marital disputes. More than once I ended up in the middle of arguments between coked up machete wielding idiots with no backup at all. The equipment they give you to protect yourself is a baton and it took me months to get that, if you do have a personal radio it is hit and miss if it works. The incompetence of some of the local RCIPS recruits is dangerous. I would prefer to work alone than to be paired up with a local as I had to watch my back their back and worry about what the suspect and my colleague were going to do next! I hear that it's gotten even worse now - shootings, armed robberies and the RCIPS completely out of their depth in even attempting to deal with it.

I still read the local press when I get the chance. I recently read that an RCIPS Officer drove into a parked vehicle shunting it into a cyclist. When asked about the accident the RCIPS lied by denying it even happened! The Commissioner has described some of his staff as’ dead wood’ (he was being kind) and has put the ‘less literate’ on remedial reading and writing courses. His latest plan to get his staff walking and talking to people is to remove the ac from the patrol cars! Brilliant! But the best one so far........ is that Officers will be forced to take part in a 'lie detector test' You couldn't make it up!

I would advise anyone to think very carefully before signing the contract.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:26 am
Just Joined

caymancop is an unknown quantity at this point

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. guys, please make contact ith me seperately or as a group. DON NOT, under any circumstances, accept a job with the RCIP. It is not, not, I repeat not, 'worth the gamble'. Any semblance of professional policing will stop. If you are any good at your job, you will be ostracised, ousted and not supported, wither by colleagues or bosses. It is exactly as bad as you can imagine. It makes 'police academy' and 'Life on Mars' look like home office training videos.

I am compelled to save any colleagues making the same mistakes as I and others have made.

New Commissioner? Makes no difference.

New Governor? Makes no difference.

You simply CANNOT imagine just how bad this place can be.

I am not an embittered ex-cop, or have I been 'just screwed over' by the RCIP. I have seen things that simply would make your toes curl. If you value your career, in any way shape or form, do not fall for their crap. Don't think for one second that 'off duty' time' will be any different either. You will be resented, ousted and hated by the locals, no matter how good you are.

The only way to fit in and progress in that police 'service' is to sell out, be bought, be bribed, or have your 'professionalism chip' removed. If you can find me one ex=pat cop who likes it there, I can find you one of the 45+ expats that have left in the last two years alone.

DO NOT DO IT. YOU WILL REGRET IT, and your career will be finished.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:39 am
Just Joined

brownofcruse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone
I have just joined this site and this is my first message. I have recently been accepted for a DC post in the RCIPS and due to start on 06/12/10. I have been monitoring this forum for some time now and to say the least I am concerned about some of the comments that have been made about the working practices and conditions within the RCIPS. I have received a contract for 3years but to date I have yet to sign and return it. I would like to personally speak to anyone who has experience of working in the RCIPS and anyone who has also been accepted for posts and are due to start this year. Look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Regards

Brownofcruse
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:54 am
Just Joined

billyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to all

Some of the positives of living in Cayman, and working for the RCIP have been posted here, along with some of the negatives. If you meet both different extremes of view points half way in the middle, it's probably a reasonable reflection of things. Personally, at least based on my experience, I don't think things are as bad as some make out, but having said that I would certainly agree with some aspects of their comments. One thing I would say is that I have met very few people who have complained about the lifestyle.

If you get a career break you really don't have much to lose, if it does not work out you can always come back to your old job. Personally I would not recommend quitting your job in the UK to join, especially in the current climate of budget cuts in the UK.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mbeb
The mail was very brief, but I took from it that everyone will be starting on the 1st Nov in bulk from the way it read.

Contract details to follow once I had accepted, but I will be working in the main CID office.

Does anyone know where I can find information about their pay scales, can't find anything on the internet?

Jeff - reference me, I've got 10 years service with 5 years of that as a Crime FLO which seemed apparent in interview that they were interested in.
Mbeb
I have been offered a post in the CID starting 06/12/10 but I am very concerned about taking the job in light of some of the comments made on this Forum, would like to make contact with you. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Brownofcruse
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

lils is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot believe that some people who have applied and have and have been offered a job did not discuss rates of pay conditions of service etc before their interviews. Personally I attended an interview and discussed these points. I come from a serious crime investigation background more than qualified for their advertised posts. I was not offered a post. Are you aware that on the 31/8/10 the new goverment cut pay by 3% and did away with various allowances. I do not want to sound as if i resent those that were offered positions but my impresson was that they just want people to work their b**ls off, be totally burnt out after a couple of years and then go home. This is definetly not a careeer advancement or experience to improve your CV. A contract over 24 months requires re aplication and vetting to rejoin your previous force. It is impossible to be vetted if you have been outside UK for more than 24 mths. I urge any prospective applicants to fully research their options.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Jeffsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Lils I am right behind you mate.Something was not quite right. Their loss

Originally Posted by lils
I cannot believe that some people who have applied and have and have been offered a job did not discuss rates of pay conditions of service etc before their interviews. Personally I attended an interview and discussed these points. I come from a serious crime investigation background more than qualified for their advertised posts. I was not offered a post. Are you aware that on the 31/8/10 the new goverment cut pay by 3% and did away with various allowances. I do not want to sound as if i resent those that were offered positions but my impresson was that they just want people to work their b**ls off, be totally burnt out after a couple of years and then go home. This is definetly not a careeer advancement or experience to improve your CV. A contract over 24 months requires re aplication and vetting to rejoin your previous force. It is impossible to be vetted if you have been outside UK for more than 24 mths. I urge any prospective applicants to fully research their options.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:28 am
Banned

traffcop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jeffsey
Lils I am right behind you mate.Something was not quite right. Their loss
Hi all. I have been reading through all the previous posts and it's interesting how opinions have changed!!

I myself am having 2ms thoughts about this offer. Anyone else in the same position?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Jeffsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Why's that then
Have you had a contract offer

Originally Posted by traffcop
Hi all. I have been reading through all the previous posts and it's interesting how opinions have changed!!

I myself am having 2ms thoughts about this offer. Anyone else in the same position?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I have had a contract offer that I thinkis OK, my prblem is with the bad press that has been put on this forum in respect o working practices, the way ex pat cops are alledgedly treated and my biggest concern the mention of widespread corruption. That does not sit well with me. Your views are very welcome. I have a contract that is not yet signed, I am still undecided.

Regards

BOC
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:15 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brownofcruse
Hello everyone
I have just joined this site and this is my first message. I have recently been accepted for a DC post in the RCIPS and due to start on 06/12/10. I have been monitoring this forum for some time now and to say the least I am concerned about some of the comments that have been made about the working practices and conditions within the RCIPS. I have received a contract for 3years but to date I have yet to sign and return it. I would like to personally speak to anyone who has experience of working in the RCIPS and anyone who has also been accepted for posts and are due to start this year. Look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Regards

Brownofcruse

Hi Brownofcruse

Just popped over to say Welcome to BE.

I can see why you may be having some reservations, there has definitely been a shift in attitude towards the RCIP in recent posts.
I've never woprked for the RCIP but have a few friends who have. They had a lot of aggro regarding conditions of service and contracts, and I don't think it got sorted in all the time they were there. Just make sure you have all of this in black and white print before you commit.

Good luck with your move - at least the weather and beaches there are lovely !

Dread - x
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Tropical Cop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any of you took the plunge and are now working for the RCIPS. I was offered the job but declined it for various reasons.... I'm now having second thoughts. Any information on working there would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:01 am
Just Joined

kilted1ecosse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Anyone any good info on what it's like for SOCO's working for RCIPS?
Have read the countless negatives on how cops have been treated along with the few positives that are on this site. Any in depth knowledge of how expat civvies/support staff get along, and how the SOC unit works out there?

Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.