Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Barbados Police Force

Royal Barbados Police Force

Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

ESTM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Royal Barbados Police Force

Hi all

Just a quick forum for those who have been interested in applying for the Royal Barbados Police Force.

I went on the website of the RBPF and downloaded an application form.

I sent it off at the start of August with a copy of my CV.

Time passed and i forgot all about it until i received a letter and form from them on Monday. It was a letter confirming receipt of my application with a checklist to which all were ticked from someone in HR. They said they would process my application if i could get granted one of the following:

1. Evidence that im a Barbadian Citizen (To which im not)

2. Evidence that im a Permanent Resident of Barbados (To which im not)

3. Apply for an immigrant visa to be able to work in Barbados

I was sent information with contact details for Immigration in Bridgetown about applying for the Visa, it had the criteria listed to which i match.

Before i proceed with contacting them i was wondering if anyone knew anything about working for the police in Barbados. From what ive found out they seem to be a good force to work for and crime is relatively low compared to other Caribbean islands.

I know it isnt going to be anything like the UK but thats what interests me to it. I also know that the pay isnt fantastic either so any information on this would also be great.

Cheers

ESTM
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:19 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default Re: Royal Barbados Police Force

Originally Posted by ESTM
Hi all

Just a quick forum for those who have been interested in applying for the Royal Barbados Police Force.

Time passed and i forgot all about it until i received a letter and form from them on Monday. It was a letter confirming receipt of my application with a checklist to which all were ticked from someone in HR. They said they would process my application if i could get granted one of the following:

I was sent information with contact details for Immigration in Bridgetown about applying for the Visa, it had the criteria listed to which i match.

Before i proceed with contacting them i was wondering if anyone knew anything about working for the police in Barbados. From what ive found out they seem to be a good force to work for and crime is relatively low compared to other Caribbean islands.

I know it isnt going to be anything like the UK but thats what interests me to it. I also know that the pay isnt fantastic either so any information on this would also be great.

Cheers

ESTM
I have worked with cops who used to work in Barbados. From what i hear it is probably comparable to working in the cops in the UK in the 60's or 70's, and i am led to believe the crime rate there is quite high. I remember one of these cops telling me that the computer system is like the old DOS based system (!)

I used to work in the RCIP in the Cayman Islands, and i am led to believe that the RCIP and Bermuda Police could probably be described as the best the Caribbean have to offer. the RCIP has its positives and negatives, if you read some of the threads on this board it will give you an idea, but if the Barbados cops i served with thought that the RCIP made the Barbados Police look antiquated, this would give me significant cause for concern.

Personally i would not touch it with a barge pole, go over there and ask if you can go out on patrol as a ride along, as you really want to know what you are getting yourself into before you sign on the dotted line. I would imagine your proposal would be like going from working for a five star hotel in a mordern city, to serving fast food from a caravan in Bulgaria.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:14 am
Just Joined

britishexpatlady will become famous soon enoughbritishexpatlady will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ESTM
Hi all

Cheers

ESTM
Hi there ESTM.

I have citizenship in Barbados and so does my husband as his parents were born there. I am interested to know the link for the Barbados police force please? I am more interested in a Civil office job rather than a patrol job as my husband has warned me against this as he says that being "white" in a majority Black force, I could become a target for any racist blacks?

Regards to you.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:00 am
Just Joined

dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ESTM

Its something I'd definitely interested in. How have you gotten on with your application so far? Is there any info you could send me through BritishExpats?

I agree with previous posts, I'm also a white person. I'm not too bothered about the majority of the police force being black, but would it be safe to police a majority black population? I have white friends from the Caribbean who have said they wouldn't be a police officer if it was the last job on earth!

dawg
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:13 am
Just Joined

britishexpatlady will become famous soon enoughbritishexpatlady will become famous soon enough

Hello Dawg,

No It wouldn't be safe to police a majority Black population.
If It was I would have gone to see the Sergeant at the local station in the parish of Christchurch in Barbados myself, but I was advised by my husband "not to go" as he has lived in Barbados for 8years, his parents come from there and he knows only too well that in any force there are "Corrupt officers" who don't work "by the book" who take "bribes" etc, If you are or were a serving officer with the Met Police like I, (I was police staff), then you probably wouldn't feel comfortable working alongside officers who don't do the job honestly. Personally I could not. As soon as you report anyone for not being honest or working to rule, etc, you will become a target !!! its not worth it !!!
Too many Drugs/gangs on the island, hence my change of heart !!!

Last edited by britishexpatlady; Feb 15th 2011 at 8:15 am.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:25 am
Just Joined

dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britishexpatlady
Hello Dawg,

No It wouldn't be safe to police a majority Black population.
If It was I would have gone to see the Sergeant at the local station in the parish of Christchurch in Barbados myself, but I was advised by my husband "not to go" as he has lived in Barbados for 8years, his parents come from there and he knows only too well that in any force there are "Corrupt officers" who don't work "by the book" who take "bribes" etc, If you are or were a serving officer with the Met Police like I, (I was police staff), then you probably wouldn't feel comfortable working alongside officers who don't do the job honestly. Personally I could not. As soon as you report anyone for not being honest or working to rule, etc, you will become a target !!! its not worth it !!!
Too many Drugs/gangs on the island, hence my change of heart !!!
Fair enough britishexpatlady. That's what I thought to begin with. Being a police constable is a risky job, but there has to be common sense. Thanks for your speedy response!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Your welcome!
I loved the pcso Job, but didn't like the attitude of some of the inspectors at all. There is a lot of bullying going on in the Met, it happened to myself and some of my co workers. The inspectors are the worst, they will do anything to climb up the Ranks-ladder at others expense. Some of them even Lie too, and when I Joined I respected the police, when I left all my respect had disappeared!
Some of the sergeants shouldn't be managing a cleaner let alone a Team of officers! because not all of them have the right personality to do that. I think there sergeants exam should include multi questions, maybe a tick box questionnaire that can give an insight into how they will manage people? If they fail it they shouldn't get a pass!!! There should be a section here for the Met police in London! lol
Very Sad eh?

Last edited by britishexpatlady; Feb 15th 2011 at 8:41 am. Reason: want to add to it
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Hi Dawg

I didnt go ahead with the application in the end matey.

I had to get a visa from Bridgetown before you can take the stage further.

When i applied i got back a letter back and a checklist with boxes ticked by the HR to show how ive progressed.

There was 5 boxes in all and only one was left unticked, and that was about applying for a working visa. I have enough experience to join after working in the UK police and my age etc.

It is still something i am interested in doing as i have a few friends in Barbados. I think if you can get a career break then it might be a good option, you have to have a minimum of two years police experience to join from overseas.

Are you going to apply?

ESTM
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Hi, Well as I have citizenship in Barbados through my husband, I could work there, I do not have the same in depth experience as you but my background is with Securicor custody,officer, traffic warden,social services,worked with the indefinitely detained etc...also in crown court cells... Its not really what you know its who you know in Barbados! I did have the opportunity to go and see the Sergeant when I was there, but decided not to go.. I have loads of experience, but common sense tells me that it is not as safe as working in the Met.
Having said that, if your colleagues don't like you then you don't get assistance when you need it on the streets of London...lol. Ive seen that happen too!

A working visa shouldn't be too difficult for you to get. If you went to work there you would prob be in there news paper!!! lol
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

haha it would be good to be on the front of the local paper!

I was interested in going out there as i love the island and always found the people very friendly.

I havent looked into it any further though at the moment as there was something possibly developing at work which held me back.

Just a random one, im thinking about going to Sofia with my partner for a weekend break in a couple of months, is it a nice city to visit?

I saw that you were from Bulgaria and just thought id ask,

Thanks

ESTM
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Hi, I am in the Vidin Region about 3 hours drive away from Sofia.
Sofia has a higher crime rate that where we are. Look out for muggers and be very careful in any areas that has Gypsies in them.
I don't know Sofia only traveled through it.

We could do with you over here though, the police here are corrupt too... they also take bribes..a couple of officers kept stopping our mini bus they were desperate to get some money out of us! in the end I got fed up, jumped out of our vehicle and pointed to there shoulder's saying in sign language that I wanted there numbers as I was being harassed etc etc..they then waved bye bye to me and we haven't been stopped since! I did mention the "European union" and reporting...lol they said "chow" now they watch us drive past..but we are totally legal got all the right stuff..so they cant touch us...lol
In Sofia there are parking restrictions and the some of the signs are different to the UK.