Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

SAS training for British police ?

SAS training for British police ?

Old Nov 12th 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default SAS training for British police ?

This is a general question because I'm curious.
I'm NZ ex army( infantry)
Now I read a story stating quote that British police will be armed with 5.56 mm rifles so they can take on and do fast roping etc etc etc in case of a Mumbai type attack.

Now I have to ask which police boss is kidding himself, bobbies going up against terrorists armed with the Normal AK-47/74s, frags, RPGs, PKM machine guns etc,

Why on earth are the police getting involved in something which will end up a infantry fight ?

Do police bosses really believe that their service can cover themselves in glory when they do not have the fire power to be any where need this type of action ?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SAS training for British police ?

Originally Posted by tehori
Now I read a story stating quote that British police will be armed with 5.56 mm rifles so they can take on and do fast roping etc etc etc in case of a Mumbai type attack.

Now I have to ask which police boss is kidding himself, bobbies going up against terrorists armed with the Normal AK-47/74s, frags, RPGs, PKM machine guns etc,

Why on earth are the police getting involved in something which will end up a infantry fight ?

Do police bosses really believe that their service can cover themselves in glory when they do not have the fire power to be any where need this type of action ?
Because the police have always been first in line in protecting the public. Their old truncheons are not up to the violence that perpetrates the world of today, and the powers that be are trying to give them the training and tools to protect us.

The UK has to the best of my knowledge not had terrorists running around the streets of the UK with their AK47s etc (yet) so your envisaged infantry fight will be a new experience that can only planned for. Yes the army are better equipped and trained to engage in a fire fight with armed terrorists BUT if you read the news they seem to have their hands full elsewhere (Afghanistan etc) and those that are still in the UK are not able to mobilise as quickly as the police if and when it does happen. The London tube bombings demonstrate that the first responders to an unknown event are, and will always be, the UK emergency services Police, Fire and Ambulance, the majority of whom are unarmed and put themselves at risk to protect us the public. Anything that gives our protectors some protection has my support.

It has nothing to do with any police boss seeking glory it is all about modernising police tactics to meet modern demands AND (as you're obviously not aware) in the UK you must hold the office of Constable to police the public and the armed forces do not hold that office, therefore they cannot police the streets unless a state of emergency is declared by the Government.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:12 am
Just Joined

jakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant future

I have seen some very highly trained (I hate to say it but they were Met haha) officer's who were trained by special forces personnel to a very high standard for anti terrorist operations and the like!

Oh and don't forget many of us are ex military!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
The UK has to the best of my knowledge not had terrorists running around the streets of the UK with their AK47s etc (yet) so your envisaged infantry fight will be a new experience that can only planned for.
Speak for yourself.

plenty round here...
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

jakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant futurejakebiker has a brilliant future

My apologies for forgetting about the NI issue and the risks that PSNI put themselves and their families in every day. I've served over there in the military, albeit not on a very exciting deployment , and the police get put to the test on a daily basis.

I'm guessing the NZ infantry chap knows nothing about the UK ongoing homegrown terrorist problem and the training given to police to deal with it!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Himself13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tehori

The firearms police in this country train with the SAS and SBS all the time. The met police SFOs are considered to be as well trained as the SAS at urban terrorist situations.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Rougesvp is an unknown quantity at this point

The relationship between UKSF and UK CivPol is give and take.

Many Forces use UKSF for specific firearms training, RAT etc.

Likewise Police Driving Instructors train UKSF.

This dates back to The Det' and before... nothing new.

As for 5.56mm... they are still used but some Forces have progressed onto the HK MP7.

Tight Lines
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:25 pm
Dale & Natt

phoenix25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our force currently uses H&K 4.6mm MP7- which has body armour defeating capabilities, however the range is rubbish. We are probably going to be moving to the G36 like most forces use.

Last edited by phoenix25; Feb 17th 2011 at 3:28 pm.