Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Queensland Police Service (QPS) International Recruitment

Queensland Police Service (QPS) International Recruitment

Old May 26th 2024, 2:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland Police Service (QPS) International Recruitment

Originally Posted by Iceblade
I have gone through this thread and found very useful information.
This has prompted me to do more research and speak to more people, even people outside the QPS.

My list of research done:
- Current serving QPS members
- Retired QPS members
- Members that quit
- QPS Australian recruits
- QPS international recruits
- QPS recruit department
- Queensland Courts personnel
- Queensland Health department personnel
- Some Non-profit organizations dealing with DFV
- members attached to the Women’s Safety and Justice Taskforce
- members of SDF&VPU
- Criminologist
- Community groups on Facebook
- Realtors
- Immigration lawyers
- Member Solutions Consultant at
QSuper
- and more

Things that was worrying:
- QPS had record breaking numbers of recruits in all of the QPS history and of all the other interstate Police agencies, YET they ended up with 200 less police members than the previous year.
Meaning new recruits and old members are leaving at the same time or worse they loosing all their experienced members and flooding it with new recruits and creating stress on remaining experienced officers.
- Housing crises and housing cost - means that if you get a house, with your salary package at top Senior Constable you'll never afford to buy a house. Then again if you can find a house
- Domestic violence is out of control and according to everyone (except the QPS) the QPS can't and don't actually assist correctly
- Youth crime is now officially labelled as a crisis and most say it forced the previous commissioner to quit 4months prior to he contacts renewal.
- Burglaries and car theft on statistics are currently competing with figures of worst crimes ridden countries.
- Some mention issues with racisms and immigrants, especially refugees that either form gangs or form part of violent crimes
- There was funny remarks that international recruits will be "slave trade", that you'll be forced to work as other officer quit, as you can't run away and already quit your work in your home country and your contract with government.
- Mental health in Police and more so in the community seems to be a regular thing
- Cost of living is also described as a crisis and causing most people huge issues to just survive daily.
- Drugs and overdose also came up way to much, I had to further research it and funny thing, I wanted to see how much more coca-cola would cost me in Australia and I searched for price of Coke in my country and got the average price and then searched for the price of coke in Australia, I just got prices for cocaine.
- Some part of Queensland the community wants to take law into their own hands due to lack of success QPS has with the youth crime crisis
- Look up Alice Springs,
I was told to check their crime and situation at night, I can't describe it
- Australia was listed 79th on the crime index in the world, it went up to 66th in the world now, still good/safe but being worse than India, Sudan, Zambia, Ukraine, Philippines and Iraq is worrying.

So just out of interest, why is QPS better than your current Police service?
Why is Australia better than your current country?
What is prompting your interest?
Old May 26th 2024, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Iceblade is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What is prompting your interest?
Was/Is considering joining.

But obviously it's a big move and have talked to many International recruits and it's scary that they have no clue of most things going on.
Some didn't even know about the natural disasters that hit. Or thought the QPS will pay for the VISA. None knew how closely Australia follows or copies USA woke ideas.
Most had no clue about the housing and cost-of-living crisis.
It's like they looked at the financial package and worked out it's more money than they receive currently and that's all they need to know. But doing proper research and having some math skill, I'm sure most(except maybe some of the 3rd world countries) if not all would end up at a financial loss versus their current situation. It would seem that those that used to be home owners in their current countries, will not have that luxury again.

The help I received during research from other serving members and the community was exceptional and the Immigration Lawyer was very honest and we came to the conclusion that my wife would also need to get a decent job(Luckily no kids, cause that adds a very serious cost as she explained day care for children will destroy most family budgets) if we would make the move.
Old May 26th 2024, 11:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I see. Quite extraordinary that the Queensland government allowed you access to all these departments in order for you to question their staff.

Couple of tips
- if you want to know how much Coca-Cola costs in Queensland, type 'how much does Coca-Cola cost in Queensland' into your search engine.
- Alice Springs is in the Northern Territory, not Queensland.
Old May 27th 2024, 1:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I see. Quite extraordinary that the Queensland government allowed you access to all these departments in order for you to question their staff.

Couple of tips
- if you want to know how much Coca-Cola costs in Queensland, type 'how much does Coca-Cola cost in Queensland' into your search engine.
I'm also surprised, and can only assume that the contacts have not been on an official basis - QPS are a bit precious, and the other departments are far behind. This would not be info released officially and was more likely obtained by something like facebook contacts?
Having said that, there's some pretty good info in there, close to the bone but generally very true.

Was/Is considering joining.

But obviously it's a big move and have talked to many International recruits and it's scary that they have no clue of most things going on.
Some didn't even know about the natural disasters that hit. Or thought the QPS will pay for the VISA. None knew how closely Australia follows or copies USA woke ideas.
Do NOT underestimate the natural disasters, effects of which are growing greater each year. Queensland is the most disaster-prone State in Australia, and whereas the cooler months used to be "downtime" in the disaster management world, this doesn't happen there days. Its a year-round busy area. In addition, as of October 2023 QPS took over full responsibility for disaster and emergency management within Queensland from Qld Fire.
This was a factor in my giving up a long career in the field, and many of my colleagues have followed suit. QPS employees will inevitably be more involved than before whenever disasters hot, yet neither they nor their masters really have the background knowledge and experience.
I'm not surprised that recruits are completely unaware of this side of QPS - its being treated as almost a side-line, and I have concerns for the response to future events.

Most had no clue about the housing and cost-of-living crisis.
It's like they looked at the financial package and worked out it's more money than they receive currently and that's all they need to know. But doing proper research and having some math skill, I'm sure most(except maybe some of the 3rd world countries) if not all would end up at a financial loss versus their current situation. It would seem that those that used to be home owners in their current countries, will not have that luxury again.
Things like the ever-spirally cost of living, and the dreadful housing crisis are brushed under the carpet so as to make the State more attractive. Tent cities are becoming a regular sight, and huge queues of 100+ families for every rental are now the rule instead of the exception.
The only thing QPS is bothered about is being able to fill vacancies, especially in places like Mt Isa.

I'm not going to get into the basic culture of QPS, but suffice to say that having worked alongside many serving officers for the last few years, and heard about their experiences, nothing would entice me to join them.
Old May 27th 2024, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Iceblade is an unknown quantity at this point

Couple of tips
That's amazing tips, thanks you.

I have researched Alice Springs and know exactly where and what it is, I was told to do so and said to keep an open mind and realize that the youth crime crisis in Queensland is the frontrunner and the more it's not addressed, well I'm sure you can complete the puzzle........
In my country and others in the world we call it Coke, it's not my fault it's such a massive topic in Australia that I can get Cocaine prices without looking for it, That was the point.

I have more than 30years policing experience and currently in command of a specialized unit and have access to stats and work closely with Interpol.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm also surprised, and can only assume that the contacts have not been on an official basis - QPS are a bit precious, and the other departments are far behind. This would not be info released officially and was more likely obtained by something like facebook contacts?
Having said that, there's some pretty good info in there, close to the bone but generally very true.
Very easy to speak to people if you explain to them this is about a big life decision and influences a family. I only had a few people to scared to talk and mention an incident some police members faced disciplinary hearings for post on Facebook. Some believed the QPS was monitoring their social media and agreed to talk on Discord or Zoom.

Do NOT underestimate the natural disasters, effects of which are growing greater each year. Queensland is the most disaster-prone State in Australia, and whereas the cooler months used to be "downtime" in the disaster management world, this doesn't happen there days. Its a year-round busy area. In addition, as of October 2023 QPS took over full responsibility for disaster and emergency management within Queensland from Qld Fire.
This was a factor in my giving up a long career in the field, and many of my colleagues have followed suit. QPS employees will inevitably be more involved than before whenever disasters hot, yet neither they nor their masters really have the background knowledge and experience.
I'm not surprised that recruits are completely unaware of this side of QPS - its being treated as almost a side-line, and I have concerns for the response to future events.
Yes this is exactly what I was told, I also didn't know about this info. But that's why doing proper research is important.

Things like the ever-spirally cost of living, and the dreadful housing crisis are brushed under the carpet so as to make the State more attractive. Tent cities are becoming a regular sight, and huge queues of 100+ families for every rental are now the rule instead of the exception.
The only thing QPS is bothered about is being able to fill vacancies, especially in places like Mt Isa.

I'm not going to get into the basic culture of QPS, but suffice to say that having worked alongside many serving officers for the last few years, and heard about their experiences, nothing would entice me to join them.
I saw some pictures on a Facebook group about the tents, I thought it was a meme about Queensland being great for outdoor life. I was corrected very fast that it's no laughing matter and it's called a crisis for a reason and then hit with "you probably don't have children, kids are suffering".
The filling of post is a good thing, but how are the loosing more than they get in?
If you just getting new recruits and loosing your experienced members, you destroy a police service. The community will suffer and at some stage loose all trust in the police.
I understand they are trying to buy experience by getting international police members, but even with all the experience I have,
I will have to learn their methods and wording of laws and crime codes and definitions. Then start gaining experience doing things in a different way.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 27th 2024 at 6:39 am. Reason: Edited to remove some sentences - pls dont make it personal or insult other members, thx.
Old May 27th 2024, 9:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very easy to speak to people if you explain to them this is about a big life decision and influences a family. I only had a few people to scared to talk and mention an incident some police members faced disciplinary hearings for post on Facebook. Some believed the QPS was monitoring their social media and agreed to talk on Discord or Zoom.

Its not so many years ago that QPS instructed their officers not to post on facebook at all (or even have an account) unless they used a false name. This was partially scuppered by facebook refusing to allow people to use daft nicknames on their accounts. QPS (and I know they are not alone in this) regularly monitor social media accounts of their staff, and there is almost a paranoia at times as people worry about whether their senior officers will have an issue with their posts, even when they are aimed at family and friends and are nothing to do with the job. Its also very very common for people to report their colleagues for posting various things - usually nothing to do with the job, but its become a way of bullying one's colleagues, just threaten them that posts will be screenshotted and sent to the bosses. Many people refuse to have social media connections with colleagues for this reason. I would never have dared to post this kind of thing on here if I still worked for Qld Govt.
And yes, officers do face disciplinary action over social media comments, often unjustly. Its not as rare as you may think.

Yes this is exactly what I was told, I also didn't know about this info. But that's why doing proper research is important.

I saw some pictures on a Facebook group about the tents, I thought it was a meme about Queensland being great for outdoor life. I was corrected very fast that it's no laughing matter and it's called a crisis for a reason and then hit with "you probably don't have children, kids are suffering".

It certainly is a major problem, and the government really doesn't show much interest in helping. Two enormous "quarantine centres" that were prepared but never used during Covid still sit empty while families live in cars and tents. Its truly a disgrace.
And rents keep rising, pricing more people out of their homes.

The filling of post is a good thing, but how are the loosing more than they get in?
If you just getting new recruits and loosing your experienced members, you destroy a police service. The community will suffer and at some stage loose all trust in the police.
Read the news online from Queensland and you will see just how the community does indeed suffer. As for trust in the police.........

I understand they are trying to buy experience by getting international police members, but even with all the experience I have,
I will have to learn their methods and wording of laws and crime codes and definitions. Then start gaining experience doing things in a different way.
If you choose to go ahead, I wish you luck.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 27th 2024 at 9:34 am.
Old May 28th 2024, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Stranger_Inquiry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone. I have received a response. Will it affect my application if I put a different email for my contact details in EOI? I used a different email when I sent the enquiry. Thank you so much.
Old Yesterday, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Mel3838 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I’m at the really early stages of considering applying to QPS. I have become a bit stumped on the witness Criteria for signing certified copies of ID for international applicants (UK) . Reading the AUS Gov website (QPS provided link) it needs to be an Australian linked employee ei diplomat, government employee etc… is that the case? Which profession did you have sign off your ID’s?
thanks