Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else received a Calgary application in the post today?

Has anyone else received a Calgary application in the post today?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

DannyG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone else received a Calgary application in the post today?

It would appear they have reopened international recruiting and my letter suggests it was my CV which was selected, so not sure whether it's reopen to all or they are just selecting from current CV's on file.

Applications and other bits (eg Vision forms) required by 30 March to join the 2009 Provincial Nominee Programme.

Anyone else teetering on the brink of this torturous adventure?

Danny
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Has anyone else received a Calgary application in the post today?

Danny,

I'm in the process of applying to Edmonton, going there in May for testing. I submitted my resume several months ago to Calgary, had the same letter as you this morning!

Regard

Nige
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

They've updated the site now confirming they are just looking at CVs received. What are your plans now? Were you keen to get to Calgary or just content with getting to Canada? Tough one. I looked at both some time ago but decided i would wait for Calgary. Looks like it's now or never. Have you sorted flights etc. Are you taking family?

Danny

Danny
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Danny,

Sent you a PM

Nige
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

burz is on a distinguished road

OMG! yes, ive had my papers in the post today!
I took my family out to calgary last Oct for a look around and went out for a ridealong as well as seeing recruiting and leaving a CV.

looks like its paid off... now the hard bit starts! (like telling the grandparents!)

Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Burz

I take it the family were suitably convinced? Just had an email from the recruiting dept who seem helpfully. I questioned the education cert's as I thought I would need to send off for proof of equivalent qualifications. They have replied saying just send copies of all educational cert's for now.

I am looking to get my family out there soon. Where did you stay? Can anyone recommend a good itinerary to show Calgary at its best?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com...-campaign.html

Good luck everyone
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:03 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Good news for a lot of peeps.

Good luck guys x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:40 am
Just Joined

burz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DannyG
Burz

I take it the family were suitably convinced? Just had an email from the recruiting dept who seem helpfully. I questioned the education cert's as I thought I would need to send off for proof of equivalent qualifications. They have replied saying just send copies of all educational cert's for now.

I am looking to get my family out there soon. Where did you stay? Can anyone recommend a good itinerary to show Calgary at its best?
We stayed at "lakeview signature inn" -which is an odd title as theres no lake!its just off the barlow trail which is the road to the airport (10mins away) and not far from the deerfoot highway (5mins) and the centre of calgary is 20mins, its in the commercial district which may not be the nicest but we did that deliberatley as we went "eyes open" for faults rather than to falsey fall for an idilic bit. it worked well as the rooms were suites with lounge/kitchen etc and was a great base for my family of 4 (two boys 1+3yrs)
YES the family did fall for it but there was a wobble when my wife dropped me off in town to see CPS and she kicked her heels nearby and was shocked by the number of (very scruffy) vagrants wandering about. i learned from my ridealong that they are some of about 100 cokeheads who genearally keep to back streets and neaby hostels. they wernt a huge problem but i was surprised for such a "rich" country.
that apart, the houses were great and afforable, schooling looked good and safe (bullys almost unheard of) the scenery was a bit flat but that quickly changes if you drive west towards the amazing rockies which are clearly visible from (almost) everywhere and just immense if you drive 1 1/2 hrs to banff. i could go on and on but it was enough to convince us that its worth a go - esp for the kids.
if your taking the family it cost us £3K for two weeks inc flights x4, car hire, - 1 week calgary, 3 days edmonton, 2 days red deer (dont bother!) and 3 in banff. - and we booked it all ourselves on the internet using "hotels.com" which is easy and offers a choice of price ranges.
have a great trip!
ps, in calgary itself, visit the zoo, tower and take in an ice hockey game at the saddledome ( for real canadian family fun!)