Is experience needed?

Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Oroboros is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is experience needed?

Hi people,

I'm 20 and still at uni and really want to move to Canada for several reasons I won't bore you with, I also want to join the police force. I was recently in Toronto and telling my uncle and aunt about this to which they were very happy about and even said I was more than welcome to stay with them when I first move out till I can get on my feet. It was also suggested that I think about joining a local constabulary in the uk as it may look better having experience before moving out there. I suppose my question is; would I be better taking this advice or not?, and also is Toronto a good choice, I only ask because they don't seem to have an application structure in place for international applicants; it seems to me that Calgary seems to be where a lot brits are going would this be a better choice?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Ben
Old Sep 1st 2009, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is experience needed?

Its my understanding that whilst Calgary and Edmonton don't need you to have experience, for you to qualifiy for the PNP program you need to have atleast three years policing experience.

Someone correct me if im wrong?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:36 pm

LFC1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason Brits are going to Calgary and Edmonton is that they are willing to open their doors via direct recruitment to serving Police officers with at least 2 years experience. If you're heart is set on moving to Canada and all it has to offer, why delay? If you have a base in Toronto , do your policing there and then move around Canada if you want to . At least then you will already be living your dream. I personally would never rejoin the UK Police again if I had the choice, especially as it stands and the poor recruiting standards. The UK is heading for a fall with regards to Policing methods and end results in the future, move to Canada. That's my twopence worth anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LFC1977
The reason Brits are going to Calgary and Edmonton is that they are willing to open their doors via direct recruitment to serving Police officers with at least 2 years experience. If you're heart is set on moving to Canada and all it has to offer, why delay? If you have a base in Toronto , do your policing there and then move around Canada if you want to . At least then you will already be living your dream. I personally would never rejoin the UK Police again if I had the choice, especially as it stands and the poor recruiting standards. The UK is heading for a fall with regards to Policing methods and end results in the future, move to Canada. That's my twopence worth anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.
But Calgary and Edmonton are AFAIK the only two forces who will recruit non-residents. If the OP has PR status then work anywhere but for most people there is not this choice.

Tim
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ashleyg
Its my understanding that whilst Calgary and Edmonton don't need you to have experience, for you to qualifiy for the PNP program you need to have atleast three years policing experience.

Someone correct me if im wrong?
My OH was ex-military, and joined Calgary Police through PNP. He had no previous policing experience.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary (and probably Edmonton) can use the PNP to look to recruit suitable candidates, not necessarily those with previous policing experience.

However, everyone else will require Permanent Residency or citizenship before being able to swear you in. (Just to be clear, the PNP route give you PR, so Calgary can swear you in on day one!)
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point

so could this be an oppertunity for a british firefighter looking to change careers too?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Is experience needed?

most definately!
i know of a couple of people with no prior police service applying to CPS and EPS and getting through.
from what i hear, the policing is (luckily) very different.

i would not recommedn joining the police aged 20 however.
i joined at 18 and given the chance to go back, would apply aged 23/24. enjoy life first, see the world, be a holiday rep and get all the young stuff out of your system. i know i wish i had!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paul5455
most definately!
i know of a couple of people with no prior police service applying to CPS and EPS and getting through.
from what i hear, the policing is (luckily) very different.

i would not recommedn joining the police aged 20 however.
i joined at 18 and given the chance to go back, would apply aged 23/24. enjoy life first, see the world, be a holiday rep and get all the young stuff out of your system. i know i wish i had!
So thats why you have booked a Hotel next to Hooters
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Is experience needed?

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
So thats why you have booked a Hotel next to Hooters
ha ha
i went when i was over the last year, and boy was i disappointed!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paul5455
ha ha
i went when i was over the last year, and boy was i disappointed!
I bet you were the youngest in there !!!!!!!!