BERMUDA POLICE

Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Caymanite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BERMUDA POLICE

She said so yes, I have deleted her email now otherwise I would send it to you. I am trusting my contact over there more, he is a Geordie but has lived there for about 30 years, knows all the top guys in the police over there (hopefully not the corrupt ones!)........

Seems like they are trying hard to recruit the local young men but failing. They upped the pay to attract them, problem being that they either fail the drugs test or have criminal records so can't apply. I am not trying to sound mean or racist here, it is a sad story that seems to happen pretty much all over in the Caribbean.....

Fiona said any recruiting would be advertised on the website but I wouldn't hold out much hope on that happening. I guess we just keep our ears & eyes open & keep pestering our contacts to see if anything changes.

Sounds like they really do need some professional officers over there to sort them out from the mess they are in!

I take it you are still interested? Keep me informed if you hear anything & I will do likewise for you
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

ESTM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hell yeh im still interested!

all i want to do at the moment is get out there.

i can see this all changing though to be honest, the Comissioner retires this year and new people bring new ideas so to speak

I will try and make contact with her next week anyways just to see whats going on about my application.

Out of all the emails i have got from her recently and speaking to people on here 2010 seems a bit long to me.

However i know they only recruit once a year around that time so if they have filled the places for this year, then next year it is.

What are you and your hubby going to do now?

ill let you know anymore news if i hear it.

Eddie
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Cahow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caymanite
She said so yes, I have deleted her email now otherwise I would send it to you. I am trusting my contact over there more, he is a Geordie but has lived there for about 30 years, knows all the top guys in the police over there (hopefully not the corrupt ones!)........

Seems like they are trying hard to recruit the local young men but failing. They upped the pay to attract them, problem being that they either fail the drugs test or have criminal records so can't apply. I am not trying to sound mean or racist here, it is a sad story that seems to happen pretty much all over in the Caribbean.....

Fiona said any recruiting would be advertised on the website but I wouldn't hold out much hope on that happening. I guess we just keep our ears & eyes open & keep pestering our contacts to see if anything changes.

Sounds like they really do need some professional officers over there to sort them out from the mess they are in!

I take it you are still interested? Keep me informed if you hear anything & I will do likewise for you
The drug test is one factor. It depends on the socio-economic background of the applicant. Educated locals are not attracted to the police service because they do not find the pay high enough, although in this economic climate that may change. Also, there is sometimes an unfortunate stigma attached to a local being a policeman as he would have to arrest his cousin, friend, uncle etc. - it's a small community.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cahow

those are things that i have heard about, it being a small community everyone knows everyone.

Well hopefully where they dont want to join this opens avenues for us

just got to see what happens, dont know what to do at the mo and this is killing me lol

Do you know anything about any of it mate?

Eddie
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ESTM
Cahow

those are things that i have heard about, it being a small community everyone knows everyone.

Well hopefully where they dont want to join this opens avenues for us

just got to see what happens, dont know what to do at the mo and this is killing me lol

Do you know anything about any of it mate?

Eddie
I know people who have served in the BPS from UK who have enjoyed it. Like anywhere it has its politics sometimes. But overall it is a good place to be and you can have a nice lifestyle on the island. Good restaurants, football, rugby, cricket, squash, watersports and you are only 1 and a half hours from NY if you want to go for a weekend.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cahow
I know people who have served in the BPS from UK who have enjoyed it. Like anywhere it has its politics sometimes. But overall it is a good place to be and you can have a nice lifestyle on the island. Good restaurants, football, rugby, cricket, squash, watersports and you are only 1 and a half hours from NY if you want to go for a weekend.
LOL so where are the negatives?

Mate everyone goes on about all the negatives, but i cant find any positives about what im doing at the moment, im always willing to give things a go.

You not thought about joining then?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

LOL so where are the negatives?

Mate everyone goes on about all the negatives, but i cant find any positives about what im doing at the moment, im always willing to give things a go.

You not thought about joining then?
When I was younger I thought about it. But policing is not really in my personality but I have a lot of respect for those who do it. I know quite a few police officers. Go into it with an open mind, sift out the bad from the good, and I think you will enjoy it.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Skids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caymanite

@Caymanite..Be careful in identifying your contacts. There's only one Geordie that I can think of who's done that length of time in the BPS. Incidentally, there are LOTS of locals waiting to join, hence why overseas recruiting has been placed on hold for now (coupled with the economic stuff)

@Cahow..There is no drug test for either locals or overseas recruits..just the obvious expectation.

Kinda think that people have the impression that drug convictions are preventing the majority of locals from joining. Maybe a minority, but in the main the applicants are degree educated and drug free.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't say my contact was IN the police, he isn't & never has been. I said he has been in Bermuda for a long time & knows many of the top cops........
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

NO drug testing? Wow, that is scary........that also explains a lot.
Thought I read on Bermuda Sun that police & fire officers were not getting past the drug testing?
Must have been the mushroom cake I was eating at the time
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:46 am
Just Joined

jonjohn83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: BERMUDA POLICE

Ladies and gents of course just a little update some of you like myself applied for transfers and recruitment for the bermuda police service and had an interview last september 2008 at novotel hammersmith london. I had word yesterday from sgt Miller that all of will be on an intake and will be moved over to Bermuda. The current econmical climate has caused them to put on hold intake drives but this will be lifited very soon. Its a situation of when we are going not if she states that the only how we won't go to Bermuda is if you pull out or say you cannot go letters or email will be sent out to all of us who has passed the selection process and sent over your details to the recruitment department hope this helps
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Nice One Jon, Has anyone else found out any news? Anything will help us wondering!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:24 pm
Banned

Le agent is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice One Jon, Has anyone else found out any news? Anything will help us wondering!
Just found this. Any news on a 2010 recruiting drive?

I'd love to live in Bermuda
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by jonjohn83
Ladies and gents of course just a little update some of you like myself applied for transfers and recruitment for the bermuda police service and had an interview last september 2008 at novotel hammersmith london. I had word yesterday from sgt Miller that all of will be on an intake and will be moved over to Bermuda. The current econmical climate has caused them to put on hold intake drives but this will be lifited very soon. Its a situation of when we are going not if she states that the only how we won't go to Bermuda is if you pull out or say you cannot go letters or email will be sent out to all of us who has passed the selection process and sent over your details to the recruitment department hope this helps
Any further news, Jon? I also got through my interviews in Sept 08 too, but have only sent my documentation and medicals to them last week (partly cos it took 5 months for my force to give me my PDRs etc!). How long did it take them to contact you after you sent your stuff to them too?

As for those here speaking about your experiences - who has the most recent experience? It seems to me, from what I've read, most of you were there from the 80's to early 90's. Maybe I've read it wrong, but if not, has anyone got recent experience? After all our forces were an awful lot different in the 80's & 90's compared to today too.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DaisyD_UK
Any further news, Jon? I also got through my interviews in Sept 08 too, but have only sent my documentation and medicals to them last week (partly cos it took 5 months for my force to give me my PDRs etc!). How long did it take them to contact you after you sent your stuff to them too?

As for those here speaking about your experiences - who has the most recent experience? It seems to me, from what I've read, most of you were there from the 80's to early 90's. Maybe I've read it wrong, but if not, has anyone got recent experience? After all our forces were an awful lot different in the 80's & 90's compared to today too.
Oh Daisy - well let me be the first one to take the bait. I'm very confident not much has changed in the Bermuda police. Like many of the other 'posters' here from what it appears you deem another age. I have visited frequently and kept up to date with the news, politics etc of Bermuda. Lets just say the physical location is the same and the actors and players are pretty much the same only more powerful. Very little has changed. As for the british forces being different today than then (lol) - my many contacts tell me things have definitely changed for the worse.

As for Bermuda - read the posts carefully - I don't think any of us advocate not going to Bermuda - we just want to open your eyes and let you know what awaits as it is not for everyone. I would still go today knowing what I now know. As they say it is those that don't know what they don't know that fall afoul. Must go another beautiful sunset awaits

Last edited by slidingbyee; Aug 14th 2009 at 12:32 am. Reason: pselling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.