Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Another Policing Option in Canada

Another Policing Option in Canada

Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:47 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Policing Option in Canada

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
Rae, I thought you were warned about your punctuation..25 push-ups sounds good!
no more of them for me baby. picking up the x-box 360 control then descending the stairs to meet pizza guy is all the exercise i am getting. hope all is well with you, feel free to explode and tell them to stick their training up their ar#e whenever you like. cheers rae.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Some great infor there but:
I see some of these jobs requiring you to be landed imigrant already...

Are you just posting them for people already over in Canada? Or what would be the deal with the provencies PNP on these jobs?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

With the special exception of Calgary and Edmonton, all other Police/special Constable or investigation positions in Canada, require that you be a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident card holder, before you can be considered for employment. Why ? Legally, you can't perform duties in Canada, unless you are one or the other.

Calgary and Edmonton Police services will "consider " applicants that are not yet PR card holders, BUT before you can be "sworn in " at the end of recruit training, you have to have that PR status, or you WAIT until you get it.

The attitude of "regular coppers " towards those who are working for say a Provincial Special Investigations Unit, which is charged with investigating complaints by the public against Police officers, is one of very deep mis-trust. Even with-in such a unit, there is a wide chasm between those who have never "worn the uniform " and those who have, in the past. Unless you have a wide streak of masochism is your personality, I'd stay far away from any such work.

The University Police are not much more than glorified "baby sitters " who have to call "the real Police " for anything more serious than a parking complaint. I base this on my wife's 30 year long history working as a building manager at the University of Toronto.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

thanks for making that clear.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:16 am
KJT
Forum Regular

KJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really nice

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen

The University Police are not much more than glorified "baby sitters " who have to call "the real Police " for anything more serious than a parking complaint. I base this on my wife's 30 year long history working as a building manager at the University of Toronto.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Wow, So I suppose that the people I have arrested for drug possession, assault and theft over the past few weeks were a figment of my imagination. Thanks for clearing that up for me.... After all, you should know.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

KJT:

University of Windsor ?

Just to make my points clear....After your parties are arrested, what do you do with them ? Call Windsor PD for transport ?

I stand by my comments.

Jim B. Toronto.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road

Perhaps I should clarify some things, when you get a Peace Officer appointment, you also get a sheet telling you what Acts and Regs that you are able to enforce. For example Sheriffs can do the TSA, environmentlal health and limited criminal code for warrants, pluse they are able to carry firearms, this is also stipulated in the appointment. So Commercial vehicle enforcement had pepper spray, and ASP, and could enforce TSA, FUel Tax and 17 other acts and regs but no criminal code. The same with the university peace officers, they will be appointed to carry out certain stuff, they may even have the ability to deal with certain Breach of the peaces. Then there is the powers that all peace officers have to arrest found committing for an indicatable offence, ok thats the powers of a civilian aswell, and yes you do hand them over the police deal. So its not like the speacials back home who have basically the same powers as police. But it does give you a leg up to join the police, but its not the police and never will be! Hope this clears things up!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

lymieincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Im a CPO in Alberta (community Peace Officer). I work for the city of Red Deer Traffic Enforcement Unit.

Basically we enforce most Provincial laws, our main target are is obviously traffic. We have fully marked Police Vehicles and work right out of the RCMP detachment and work alongside them, we alos assist with traffic collisons.

Its a great opportunity if you dont want to be a fully fledged Police Officer, also there are less strict guidlines for applying. Just about every municipality in Alberta hires CPO's.

Here is a web-link for those interested, which has many job opportunites listed:-

www.aacpo.ca

And if you are interested in Red Deer (will be hiring soon)

www.city.red-deer.ab.ca/rcmp (then click on traffic enforcement unit).