Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

URGENT! Anyone taken a skills test in QLD?

URGENT! Anyone taken a skills test in QLD?

Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

jd24hrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: URGENT! Anyone taken a skills test in QLD?

Originally Posted by racheysteve
oh wow well done!!! Have thought about contacting a current affair to see if they are interested in covering this problem but think i will try education minister first and see if he can't help. Will keep you posted on how we get on.
hi if you do contact a current affairs program I will be in it actually lets ask for others if they want to be apart of trying to put together a list of plumbers /gasengineers and there experiences and how we are being victimized by aus and nz
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

jd24hrs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WEBBS
Hey Pam,

Sorry to hear of all the problems you and your husband are having. I'm not sure what changes the VETASSESS process has made? When I received my classification from TRA it didn't help me to gain any licenses in Australia.
We arrived in Tassie 3 years ago and the Plumbers and Gasfitters wouln't recognise British quals, they would allow you to gain a provisional licence( go and work for $16 an hour for a plumbing company) which lasts a year and then set about gaining a full licence, not sure the time or costs involved but from experience I would say it wouldn't be easy or cheap. At this time Tassie didn't have a 'pathway' for recognising CORGI gas qualifications either. I was advised that I should discuss this with the Victorian Plumbers Federation.
If we have to go to all the trouble of having our qualifications and experience verfied by TRA shouldn't we then be granted a probationary license for a nominal period(6months?) during which time we would work for a plumbing/gasfitting contractor to allow us to gain the knowledge of different 'local' practices and standards whilst also proving that we are indeed qualified?
It's all very well the Aussie government saying they need skilled migrants, unfortunately most of the licensing/training issues are dealt with through the relevant state governments (Workplace Standards/TAFE),these departments are either unprepared or in some cases unwilling to help migrants. It is about time the federal and state departments sat down and got this mess sorted out!

Good luck, Peter
hi Peter it is the same in nz they encourage us to to come, tell us we can work just the same as in the uk then when we get here they dump us on a poorly run pgdb which is run by self important people, here in nz the new migrants want central htg so the plumbers are fitting old fashion substandard systems then with no htg experience they try to repair them the people need us with our experience to make sure they dont make the old mistakes that we made in the uk yrs ago example one pipe systems they dont have condensing boilers yet and nobody services there boilers in this second world country
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by jd24hrs
hi Peter it is the same in nz they encourage us to to come, tell us we can work just the same as in the uk then when we get here they dump us on a poorly run pgdb which is run by self important people, here in nz the new migrants want central htg so the plumbers are fitting old fashion substandard systems then with no htg experience they try to repair them the people need us with our experience to make sure they dont make the old mistakes that we made in the uk yrs ago example one pipe systems they dont have condensing boilers yet and nobody services there boilers in this second world country
Agree with what you are saying, but you're not going to change anything. I've been there and got the t-shirt and the video.

I'm interested to see how the first 'VETASSES' people get on when they arrive in aus.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

I presume you are in aus we are in nz and it is the same the pgdb is incompetent and doesnt know what it is doing they said to me that corgi wasnt any good and uk training is poor/ but training nz is crap ive talked to shane jones /john keys but they just seem bored:curse:
I can't confirm this because I haven't checked but Ihave been told by a number of people that UK gas engineers/plumbers with CORGI quals can have their competencies recognised and presumably converted into equivalent AUS licenses via the Plumbing Industry Commission in Victoria. The story is that they got together with CORGI to understand the UK areas of competency in order to allow them to grant the relevant Victorian Licenses. I understand that many people will want to work outwith Victoria or Australia( NZ) in which case it should be fairly easy to use this Victorian License to gain a license in the state of choice.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SimonG
Agree with what you are saying, but you're not going to change anything. I've been there and got the t-shirt and the video.

I'm interested to see how the first 'VETASSES' people get on when they arrive in aus.
I think if you talk to the right people and make the issue a little more 'political' then there is a chance that change will happen. I know a friend who was in a similar position in Tassie and thanks to alot of time spent by his wife pressuring different govenment depts and an assurance that she would make it public via the local papers, TAFE AND Workplace Standards quickly came up with a 'pathway' to allow migrant plumbers an opportunity to gain their local licenses in a timely and cost effective way.

I really believe that it is about finding and persuading the right people who can make the changes.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

It amazes me some of the technology and systems being used, I think we can learn things from local tradespeople and they could learn a lot from our UK experiences. Isn't it hard to find a modern CH bolier in this part of the world!? Sophisticated is a boiler which can burn both long logs and short logs!