Senior Citizens Card

Old May 1st 2017, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Senior Citizens Card

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
It's not the obtaining of the card that is the fraud, it's the then asking for the discount using the card that is the fraud. Again if you are offered the discount without asking it's not fraud. The fraud then occurs when the shopkeeper then claims the discount back from the government. And it's only the card owner that can receive the discount personally,not on behalf of others, only their portion of a meal bill and definitely not on the wifes medication.
I am not sure that they do claim anything back from the government. the retailer is expected to absorb the costs.

I do not see how a card legitimately issued and then used is a fraud. there is no deception.

I believe that the ability of a LGU to issue such cards is not at all understood. The complication is the belief that it is a nationally issued card, which I believe is not the case. Should it be the case that the retailer has a claim back against the local LGU, then I suspect that the LGU will confirm the card was issued correctly by them in accordance with LGU procedures.

Will be interested with Quiltman's comments once he has done the 'deed'.

Until then this is just another set of Bulletin Board comments, that may or may not be valid.

I suppose by the time I get to the magic number this issue may be correctly resolved.

A full shopping cart with some discounted items would be nice, wonder if it extends to utility bills as well
Old May 2nd 2017, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
My understanding of the senior citizen cards are that as foreigners we are allowed to obtain a card and we are allowed to use it but just for obtaining preferential treatment. I.e. SC checkouts in supermarkets, use SC windows in government offices etc.
I always use SC lanes, windows,queues etc and have never been asked to prove I'm an SC. I must look old and wrinkly!
Old May 2nd 2017, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
I am not sure that they do claim anything back from the government. the retailer is expected to absorb the costs.

I do not see how a card legitimately issued and then used is a fraud. there is no deception.

I believe that the ability of a LGU to issue such cards is not at all understood. The complication is the belief that it is a nationally issued card, which I believe is not the case. Should it be the case that the retailer has a claim back against the local LGU, then I suspect that the LGU will confirm the card was issued correctly by them in accordance with LGU procedures.

Will be interested with Quiltman's comments once he has done the 'deed'.

Until then this is just another set of Bulletin Board comments, that may or may not be valid.

I suppose by the time I get to the magic number this issue may be correctly resolved.

A full shopping cart with some discounted items would be nice, wonder if it extends to utility bills as well
It was my belief that the store owner ofsets the discount against there tax.
Old May 2nd 2017, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

It was my belief that the store owner off-sets the discount against there tax.
Third paragraph covers this.

This type of situation will always be fluid as various departments and officials can intervene with a sponsored amendment at any time. This just needs gazetted and before you know it, you have a different version which can then get gazetted back again just as fast.

Senior citizen discount - The Manila Times Online
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Third paragraph covers this.

This type of situation will always be fluid as various departments and officials can intervene with a sponsored amendment at any time. This just needs gazetted and before you know it, you have a different version which can then get gazetted back again just as fast.

Senior citizen discount - The Manila Times Online
A very interesting and well thought out article, a pity it was completely lost on the few blogger below it.
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
My understanding of the senior citizen cards are that as foreigners we are allowed to obtain a card and we are allowed to use it but just for obtaining preferential treatment. I.e. SC checkouts in supermarkets, use SC windows in government offices etc.
In the application forms it clearly states you have to be of Filipino nationality and we were recently refused one. However my wife uses my barangay clearance card which states my UK passport and birthday and gets ss discount at most places including Starbucks (which is an essential).
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bestvue
In the application forms it clearly states you have to be of Filipino nationality and we were recently refused one. However my wife uses my barangay clearance card which states my UK passport and birthday and gets ss discount at most places including Starbucks (which is an essential).
The magic word in this is CITIZEN, Yes we are senior citizens but not of the Philippines.
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

The magic word in this is CITIZEN, Yes we are senior citizens but not of the Philippines.
which is what we've been saying all along.
Tomorrow is visit City Hall day , will report back as promised.
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Once again the point is lost

The seniors card issued by the LGU is under LGU rules. NOT an NGO.

Different LGU have their own rules. The seniors ID is NOT a nationally issued ID Card.

If a LGU agrees to issue the card it can be used and it it is NOT a fraud, they can say no if they so wish.
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Once again the point is lost

The seniors card issued by the LGU is under LGU rules. NOT an NGO.

Different LGU have their own rules. The seniors ID is NOT a nationally issued ID Card.

If a LGU agrees to issue the card it can be used and it it is NOT a fraud, they can say no if they so wish.
OK Mike, i'm being thick here. If I accept you are correct, and i have no reason to doubt you, why do BI say it is a deportable offence.Here's the best article i have read on the subject and goes some way to explaining the confusion we appear to have :Philippines Senior Discount — Fact or Fallacy? — Live in the Philippines
Old May 4th 2017, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Quiltman, this article is not recent.

Since then it is possible that gazetted updates have been made?. I suggest that this may be the answer as to why the LGU's issue cards to foreigners. I understand that you may be testing this shortly, I will be keen to see how you get on. You may even wish to tell them you are a permanent resident, not a citizen and see the reaction.

Oddly enough om Monday I bought 10 litres of milk expecting to pay 70p a liter or 700 hundred pesos. the cashier asked for 412p. I handed over my cash and asked for the receipt thinking there must have been a hidden ''on sale discount'' The receipt looked like nothing i have ever seen before it did not itemise the 10 cartons at 70p each. I asked if this was correct, she smiled said yes.

I wandered off in a state of confusion. Caught up with the asawa and showed her the receipt which also had the evat showing nil. She laughed

''see, you old fool you have the seniors discount!''

''How is that? ''

'' because it says SC''

'' Hell, i am no where near the seniors age''

''You are now, lets get a coffee with the discount''

No log books, no ID of any sort, just a normal pay as you go purchase. I was almost tempted to go back and double the order.

Somehow, the coffee tasted better.

Wonder, when I will get deported
Old May 4th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

There's a world of difference between asking for a discount and being given a discount.
Old May 4th 2017, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

not in the Philippines there isn't . when it comes to rules regulations and the law this is la la land, where everything is a negotiable suggestion and a supreme court can reverse itself even when it has no mandate to do so, then reverses itself again. this is the land of uncertainty where the only certainty is uncertainty.
Old May 4th 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

There appears to be still some confusion over the Senior Citizens Card. This card can only be legally used by Filipinos who are 60 or over. If this was not the case, why would the law makers consider passing a bill which would permit alien senior citizens the same perks as the Filipinos? Seems a no-brainer to me.

Alien seniors should get discounts too | INQUIRER.net

Also, these are the stipulated requirements for eligibility.

https://ofwmoney.org/how-to/senior-citizen-card/

Regards

Pete

Last edited by Philosophical 11; May 4th 2017 at 1:42 pm.
Old May 5th 2017, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by springsteen11
There appears to be still some confusion over the Senior Citizens Card. This card can only be legally used by Filipinos who are 60 or over. If this was not the case, why would the law makers consider passing a bill which would permit alien senior citizens the same perks as the Filipinos? Seems a no-brainer to me.

Alien seniors should get discounts too | INQUIRER.net

Also, these are the stipulated requirements for eligibility.

https://ofwmoney.org/how-to/senior-citizen-card/

Regards

Pete

Well, went to city Hall , Consolacion, yesterday only to be told person who deals with Seniors "not available today sir. Gone away". (Eventually found out he/she was at a seminar somewhere but no idea when they will be back). Will try again on Monday...........................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.