Senior Citizens Card

Old Apr 30th 2017, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Senior Citizens Card

Thought I would start a separate thread on this important subject.

This has been a topic of conversation on another forum and it has been mentioned here on one of the threads.

It appears that the Senior Citizens Card is issued and used without question by foreigners. However, it is illegal for foreigners to use one. They are issued for use by Philippine nationals only aged 60 or above.

Fraudulent use by a foreigner may result in 6 months in jail and/or deportation.

Not widely known but forewarned is forearmed I guess.

Regards

Pete
Old Apr 30th 2017, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Senior Citizens Card

I had an argument Pete with a UK expat. He has a Senior Citizen card and I asked how he got it. His comment was "Entitled to it as I'm married to a Filipina and on a 13 visa".
Would not understand that as a non citizen I did not think he was entitled and it was a deportable offence. Would be good to find out the facts in case it can benefit others.
Back in 2012, there was a bill put before the Senate which would have entitled SRRV holders to the card with the same privileges as senior citizens. so far as I know, it disappeared down the black hole of"lost" bills! It would have made the Philippines more attractive to retirees and most would have spent a lot more than the benefits accrued.
I think I kept a copy of the proposed bill - I'll have a look and see if I can find it.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go, a couple of links : Alien seniors should get discounts too | INQUIRER.net and https://mastercitizen.wordpress.com/...niors-as-well/

The Gov site is down for maintenance today so I cannot link to the actual proposed bill. does anyone have anything to add , or know anymore??
Old Apr 30th 2017, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Quiltman,

Thanks for that. You beat me to it. I cannot remember why the bill was kicked into the long grass but instead of that, we now have a massive increase in Phil heath premiums.

I have a friend here who thinks I am speaking tosh. He even enquired at the BI Office to check the validity of his card and they agreed with him....it was issued by the City Hall and therefore must be legal. A case of the blind leading the blind.

Regards

Pete
Old Apr 30th 2017, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm not willing to risk it Pete , as we know every BI official has a different interpretation of any law , let alone City Hall or the local Barangay! I suppose I could get my driver to report him and collect the 2K "reward"................................ He really peed me off. We're guests here after all whether married to a Filipina or not.

regards,

Gary

Last edited by quiltman; Apr 30th 2017 at 2:43 am. Reason: Must stop hitting "Enter" before reading post!
Old Apr 30th 2017, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gary,

Totally agree with you. You mention 2k reward? Is that true?

Regards

Pete M
Old Apr 30th 2017, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by springsteen11
Gary,

Totally agree with you. You mention 2k reward? Is that true?

Regards

Pete M
Yes. A Filipino reporting an alien for breaking the terms of his visa, or overstaying can get 2K from the government for reporting them to BI.
It's right at the bottom of this page: BI LAUNCHES “SA IMMIGRATION MAGSUMBONG” REWARD AND INCENTIVE PROGRAM

Cheers,

gary
Old Apr 30th 2017, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure anyone can be accused of using the seniors card as being fraudulent. for a fraud to take place there has to be an act of dishonesty .

being told you can have a card and it being issued may be a mistake by the issuing office, hardly a fraud.

I also seem to believe that LGU within a City or municipality can issue 'senior status' if they so wish. One of those things here where an LGU seems to have more authority than a NGO.

This has been going on for years. I have yet to hear of anyone NGO and LGU, having any issues. Just the usual Bulletin Board comments.

Anyway i am far too young to worry about it )
Old Apr 30th 2017, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
I am not sure anyone can be accused of using the seniors card as being fraudulent. for a fraud to take place there has to be an act of dishonesty .

being told you can have a card and it being issued may be a mistake by the issuing office, hardly a fraud.

I also seem to believe that LGU within a City or municipality can issue 'senior status' if they so wish. One of those things here where an LGU seems to have more authority than a NGO.

This has been going on for years. I have yet to hear of anyone NGO and LGU, having any issues. Just the usual Bulletin Board comments.

I have a German friend who has used his senior citizen card for the last 19 years. He has used it for hospital, medical, flight to Canada and groceries. He has never been challenged and speaking to him he was told when he applied for it that he was allowed to use it for whatever he wanted.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikemike

I agree Mike. If you apply for the card through official channels and it is granted, that is not fraud. Same with driving licenses which are also subject to a similar confusion. If you apply through LTO using approved procedures and a license is granted, all power to you.
Old May 1st 2017, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by David Mashael
I agree Mike. If you apply for the card through official channels and it is granted, that is not fraud. Same with driving licenses which are also subject to a similar confusion. If you apply through LTO using approved procedures and a license is granted, all power to you.
Well call me old fashioned but I know it's illegal - knew before I came here - and I'm not willing to take the risk no matter how low it may be! I understand that if you ask and get one issued in error by the LGU then you could argue it is not fraud ,but it is still an offence and if the worst happens I do not want to spend a fortune arguing it in court!
Interestingly, we have been here on the SRRV for 4 years and I can only recall a couple of times I have been asked "Do you have Seniors card Sir?" (I obviously don't look old enough......)
I may test the theory by going to my local City Hall and asking if i am entitled to a Seniors card -the 20% saving on my wifes medicines would soon add up! i'll report back in due course!
Old May 1st 2017, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Quiltman

Go with your Uk passport as your ID, this confirms you are NOT a citizen, Your SRRV card(may or may not mean anything to a LGU confirms you are a permanent resident, not a citizen.

No one can accuse you of fraud as you have been 100% up front with your residency and citizenry status.

One thing is for certain, if they issue the seniors card, I would not ask them if they are sure!! I would not ask them that question at any stage, that is their job to be sure.
Old May 1st 2017, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

No Mike, was just going to use my passport as ID as SRRV card, as you rightly say, only confirms I am a foreign resident. No info volunteered unless the question is asked.
Will report back later in week.
Old May 1st 2017, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the obtaining of the card that is the fraud, it's the then asking for the discount using the card that is the fraud. Again if you are offered the discount without asking it's not fraud. The fraud then occurs when the shopkeeper then claims the discount back from the government. And it's only the card owner that can receive the discount personally,not on behalf of others, only their portion of a meal bill and definitely not on the wifes medication.
Old May 1st 2017, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding of the senior citizen cards are that as foreigners we are allowed to obtain a card and we are allowed to use it but just for obtaining preferential treatment. I.e. SC checkouts in supermarkets, use SC windows in government offices etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.