Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Retiring in the Phillipines

Retiring in the Phillipines

Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Crystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring in the Phillipines

Emirates give a quality service, and very competitive price. Flying Europe to Asia, as I did with KLM for my first four visits to The Pearl of Asia (Philippines) is just too long to be on a plane. Dubai is a wonderful airport, and the length of flight there from UK then to/from Phils. is more than bearable.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the latest info re flights etc. Reading through all the responses again I thought I would mention the issue about the cow she would like. It appears she also keeps pigs and not just raises them for money but she enjoys looking after them. She always wanted a cow and normally see her young daughter drinking milk when she contacts me at their breakfast time. I now have had two requests from her when I arrive. I need to buy her a box of imported chocolates which I gather is expensive out there and she would like me to buy her 5 yr old daughter a bike. I have remained non-committal on the bike but I have seen in earlier responses that they sometimes expect the foreigner to come bearing gifts for the family. She also sent me a link on what looks like expensive ice-creams which can be found out there but can ill-afford. All rather quaint.

As an aside, I assume my old Nokia mobile will have no problems in Phils. Works every where else overseas so far. Obviously, I will get a local sim card when I eventually settle.

Regards All
Pete
Old Jul 8th 2014, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springsteen11
Thanks for all the latest info re flights etc. Reading through all the responses again I thought I would mention the issue about the cow she would like. It appears she also keeps pigs and not just raises them for money but she enjoys looking after them. She always wanted a cow and normally see her young daughter drinking milk when she contacts me at their breakfast time. I now have had two requests from her when I arrive. I need to buy her a box of imported chocolates which I gather is expensive out there and she would like me to buy her 5 yr old daughter a bike. I have remained non-committal on the bike but I have seen in earlier responses that they sometimes expect the foreigner to come bearing gifts for the family. She also sent me a link on what looks like expensive ice-creams which can be found out there but can ill-afford. All rather quaint.

As an aside, I assume my old Nokia mobile will have no problems in Phils. Works every where else overseas so far. Obviously, I will get a local sim card when I eventually settle.

Regards All
Pete
I am not trying to burst your bubble.

1/ The milk you see being drunk is usually powdered formula milk, not fresh and it is as expensive as fresh if not more so.

2/ Hog raising is often associated with the status as they can provide lechon for the community, that status is 'enjoyed' more than anything else.

3/ Demanding gifts IS NOT the normal action.

4/ Imported chocolates are available in the malls and yes they will be more expensive than sari sari store candy. Cadburys Dairy milk and Black magic etc will rarely be found and if they are, the prices will be premium.

5/ Ice cream abounds here both local and imported. a Mr whippy ice cream large cone in a mall will cost 15 pesos or about 20 pence far cheaper than UK prices.

Tread carefully and get over here for a few months before making a decision one way or the other.

I know it works as I am married with 2 youngsters. equally the horror stories outnumber the success rates exponentially. Sorry to say from what you have so far disclosed i would not be surprised to find it is on the wrong side of the balance sheet.

Two rules for over here

1 Hang on to your Heart
2 hang on to your wallet

or you will lose both

Last edited by mikemike; Jul 8th 2014 at 12:37 am.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
I am not trying to burst your bubble.

1/ The milk you see being drunk is usually powdered formula milk, not fresh and it is as expensive as fresh if not more so.

2/ Hog raising is often associated with the status as they can provide lechon for the community, that status is 'enjoyed' more than anything else.

3/ Demanding gifts IS NOT the normal action.

4/ Imported chocolates are available in the malls and yes they will be more expensive than sari sari store candy. Cadburys Dairy milk and Black magic etc will rarely be found and if they are, the prices will be premium.

5/ Ice cream abounds here both local and imported. a Mr whippy ice cream large cone in a mall will cost 15 pesos or about 20 pence far cheaper than UK prices.

Tread carefully and get over here for a few months before making a decision one way or the other.

I know it works as I am married with 2 youngsters. equally the horror stories outnumber the success rates exponentially. Sorry to say from what you have so far disclosed i would not be surprised to find it is on the wrong side of the balance sheet.

Two rules for over here

1 Hang on to your Heart
2 hang on to your wallet

or you will lose both
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi having semi retired here in the Philippines now, and I like it and enjoy it, yes of course there are some silly minor things that wind me up.
Now bear in mind I have not lived in the UK Since 1978.
I live on a small little island close to Masbate and its great.
I have a part time free lance job teaching UK Nebosh & IOSH just out side of Manila so it keeps me active.
But find a little hobby or a job, some thing to keep you active or you will get bored easy, I did in the early days here.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Many thanks for your interest and comments both positive and negative thus-far.

This may be trivial but of interest to me which caught my attention on the thread "Moving to Manila". Sports Bars. Are these prevalent in the Philippines or a rare commodity? Also, is it possible to obtain access to "Sky Sports". As an avid sports follower, this would come under consideration if I were not to settle in the Bohol area. I am making the assumption that sports bars may well be only available in areas frequented by Western Ex-pats.

Regards

Pete
Old Jul 11th 2014, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springsteen11
Hi All,

Many thanks for your interest and comments both positive and negative thus-far.

This may be trivial but of interest to me which caught my attention on the thread "Moving to Manila". Sports Bars. Are these prevalent in the Philippines or a rare commodity? Also, is it possible to obtain access to "Sky Sports". As an avid sports follower, this would come under consideration if I were not to settle in the Bohol area. I am making the assumption that sports bars may well be only available in areas frequented by Western Ex-pats.

Regards

Pete
Sports bars here will often refer to a bar with a pool(billiards table) and maybe a dart board with local tv showing basketball.

western style sports bar do exist and are found in metro areas and maybe in a western run resort.

SKY is available here along with some other channels, costs can be hideous depending on package.

Personally I use internet streaming which gets me most of what i want with a 1mb connection. Biggest issue is being able to maintain that connection as service interruption is pretty much the norm.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the Electricity here in the Philippines can be a big problem. With the more and more brown outs as they are called here.
On the island where I live the Electricity is more time off then on.
So I will be looking into Solar power next year I think.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi All,

I have another question but first a quick up-date.

I have decided to spend the first 3 weeks of my initial recce to the Philippines prior to retirement based in Manila. From this base I will probably visit other areas of the Philippines depending on how I feel at the time. Those who are familiar with this thread will know I was thinking of visiting a young lady in Bohol for the 3 week duration. Without going into boring detail I may or may not visit her during the 3 week period.

Now...my question. I need dental work which may delay my plans which could involve partial dentures etc. Now I know that medical treatment over there can be expensive. Can I assume Dental treatment is also expensive? Also, is the treatment to good standard? I could delay my plans by using the NHS but I am reluctant to do this, but if treatment is prohibitive out there, I will be forced to delay my visit.

Regards

Pete
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

As for dental treatment here, I have an absolute fear of dentists and will hang on as long as possible before getting any treatment. Having been to a dentist several times here it is cheap and extremely patient with scardy cats like myself.

Fillings I pay Ph500 for
Tooth extraction was Ph700 - polish was for free while he was waiting for the anesthetic to work.
My wife had a denture replaced for her 4 front teeth Ph2,500

All the work was guaranteed for a year, painless and of good quality.

A friend had a full lower denture and a partial top set for Ph12,000, including the removal of about 4 teeth.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

I had 3 extractions a temporary plate fitted whilst waiting for 6 porceilan teeth for a bridge. total costs all in 40,000 pesos when exchange was near 100:1 so about 400GBP.

Far cheaper than Uk as other posts have indicated and very gentle as I am also of the timid variety.

as for Manila. do not be persuaded that all of manila is the same and that it represents all the Philippines.

most first timers spend their initial visit in Malate/ermita area. this is not the most enchanting part of the city!! and yes there are areas that are worse. rainy season is due and it will be wet
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes all the big hospitals have at least one dental practice. So no problem at all. There are many good practices, outside the hospitals as well.

There are many good hospitals in Cebu. A private room in Chong Hua sets you back P2000 a day. It includes air-con, television (cable), and room for your family to sleep.
You are treated like a guest, in a first class hotel.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Retiring in the Phillipines

Thats strange tropic of cancer! My wife has just come out of Chung Hua after being in for 4 days. She had a semi-suite room at 3000p a day- bed, bed for carer, sofa, dining table and chairs , fridge, microwave, cable TV and seperate bathroom with hot/cold shower etc. As you say, treated like an honoured guest!
The standard room is similar, but smaller and this years cost is 2200p per day.
total cost i paid for everything - room, meals, pharmacy,doctor, newspapers etc was just on 16,000p after PhilHealth contribution. worth every peso!
Her consultant even came in on Sunday and spent over 45 mins. discussing her progress etc.

Cannot recommend Chung Hua highly enough. She had an angiogram in their Eye Institute earlier in the year - PhilHealth paid for all of it - 6000p.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

"dining table and chairs , fridge, microwave,"
They didn't have these when I was there last (2009) as an in-patient. Explains the extra cost.
I was very happy with my treatment. Post operation regular checks. Then at night every hour. A team of four student nurses. With immediate access to a Senior Nurse, also doctors. Last time I was on the 7th floor of the new building. Yes surgeon and consultant visited me on Sunday evening, the day before my operation. They explained all to me, and I was free to ask questions. The consultant really cheered me up, and put me in a good frame of mind.
My wife had her eyes done, at the Lasik Center in Cebu Doctor's (Out Patient).
Burst Appendix removed in Perpetual Succour. (Her choices).

The doctors and surgeons, are mostly the same people, in all the main hospitals.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

If you look on their website www.chonghua.com.ph you can see photos of all their rooms. If you are happy to be in a 4 bed non airconditioned room then you can get one for 900p.
Yes, seems the same doctors are everywhere! My wifes consultant does clinic at Velez hospital in morning and Cybergate in afternoon, plus visiting patients in Chong Hua, Velez, Perpetual Succour and others! He also lectures in Manila at least once a month. Busy guy!

wife was looked in on hourly - even through the night - by the senior nurse, sometimes accompanied by a student.
Compared to how she was treated by the NHS the treatment she receives here is streets ahead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.