Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Retiring to the Philippines

Retiring to the Philippines

Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:00 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to the Philippines

Originally Posted by SvampBob
...reminds me of western women that I think we men dislike the most....
What's that then - those with a brain?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Barsky is an unknown quantity at this point

Southseastrader

If you don't mind... I have a couple of questions.

Do you rent a house or you have built your own ?
Is it worth looking into building your own?
What is the size of the house you live in presently?
Is it air conditioned and screened?

Thanks for answering
Old Feb 19th 2009, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Bellatrix is on a distinguished road

Good day! Im a Filipina, and thank you all for your interest in retiring in my country. First of all, I would like to warn you that, while people can be generally friendly to the foreigners, it cannot be avoided that you will meet some opportunistic people along the way, so please use your common sense in dealing with anyone most especially about financial matters.

If you need peace and quiet, definitely avoid downtown Manila. If you need to be in a cold place with just an hour drive away from the business districts in the city, you can check out rest houses in Tagaytay. Being elevated than most places in Manila, it can be quite foggy and cold in the evenings, but the view of the Taal Lake from above is spectacular! Also, the soil is rich, so if you have green thumbs, Tagaytay soil is perfect for farming, or you can just buy local produce from the neighboring farm and enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables everyday. (Check out Ponderosa Farm Houses, Silang Real Estates)

If you are into surfing, La Union or Zambales would be perfect for you. These towns open to the South China Sea and the waves, although not big as houses, is suitable for surfing and fishing. You can visit this special island in Zambales, which has, surprisingly, Pine Trees within the island vicinity. (Think almost white sand and then, out of nowhere, Pine Trees!)

You can go to Baguio and have a nice, quiet and cold evening. Although, over some points, I would still prefer Tagaytay over this place.

Other places noteworthy:
Davao - less toxic than Manila
Cebu - sadly becoming much more like Manila, and dominated by Koreans, if it weren't for the lovely beaches!

Vigan - loses its charm after a week, but then charming nevertheless
Pagudpud - Saud and Blue Lagoon are worth-staying places
Palawan - of course. Definitely Palawan!
Bicol - rural life. Plain, simple and peaceful.
Camiguin - I haven't been there, but I've heard nice stories

If you want to splurge like a Hollywood star before actually retiring, why not visit Amanpulo. It's a small private island, a member of the Aman Resorts worldwide, between Bohol and Cebu. They say it's a paradise. I can't afford to go there, so tell me about it.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 6:45 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

wow - good info, Bellatrix!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Bellatrix is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by katongkaren
wow - good info, Bellatrix!

Thanks. You gotta love your country, inspite of.. =D
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Equaliser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ryantalk
there is a new development i have seen that could be perfect for you call putro pricess have a look online for it . its a development outside manila where they have a ferry for residence to take you to mall of asia its about equal distance from manila as tagatay and the community looks like they will been self sufficant with own shops bars clubs and things also private beach i am considering it myself and i am 29 from the midalnds lived in manila for 2 years now hope this helps let me know how you get on
Hi Ryantalk,
How Ya doin?
Seasons greetings from the UK...Recently joined and reading this forum with interest. I lived in Manila where I was managing a Manning/recruitment agency mainly for Cruise Ships before moving to a gated sub-division (Citi-Italia nr. Cavite), a nightmare commuting back and forth to the office and then I was never comfortable with the number of evil looking dog's in the community straining at their chains or ropes to attack if they got loose!..God help a child on a bike...

Had a good look on line for putro pricess??, all I'm getting is a mis-spell for Puerto Princessa, if you get time please advise..
I'm investigating the possibility of having a small modest holiday home in PI. So far possibilities seem to be Dumaguete on Negros where the family and I did our PADI Open Water Certification; Cebu a possibility. Haven't been to S.Fernando LA Union or Palawan..Must be close to the ocean, protected bay of course' (I'm a YachtMaster), access to fun & amenities without crowding. Won't live anyware close to my wife's family Manila..been there done that!
Have a great N.Year
Best-John
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point

im interested in contacting people living in cebu provence . im considering moving to cebu im' getting married next year ' i would be intersted in hearing from expat's living in cebu city in subdivision's also any members who are married to filipina's living north of cebu i plan to explore the north of the provence on my next vacation cheers '

Last edited by deerhunter74; Jan 22nd 2010 at 12:51 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

chris24 will become famous soon enough

Hi, I am in pretty much the same position. Currently staying with my gf while looking for somewhere to live. Read the things all the others have to say, and all have their own opinions as to where to live. Palawan is nice, a bit far away from everywhere though. San Fernando is nice but a real drag to get to to and from the airport unless you travel via the airport in Baguio. personally I favour Mindoro as it's just a short sea crossing and a couple of hours drive from Manila and the airport without having to live in all the smells and polution nof metro manila, Mindoro is a divers paradise which should tell you something about the environment even if you don't dive it's nice to have a clean sea with real fish in it. I dived in San Fernando, the fish are all gone and the reefs have been blasted with dynamite and cyanide to get the remaining tiddlers. As with the others I suggest you go somewhere and book into a hotel or resort and look for a place to rent, keep us posted
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Hi Chris, we retired here 4 years ago, built two places to live, one in the cooler Leisure Farms and the other in San Luis by the sea for building boats and fishing. Mabini is quite close and the area is protected from over fishing.
Chose an English run builder who spends most of his time abroad with new contracts!
However despite all the hard work we have decided to move to San Pablo where my wife has family and friends. Visiting over the last 4 years has proved that they will not be a financial burden and Mila will have more of a social life. (I'll take my boat with me )
Here are the links to our props if you are interested.

http://sulit.com.ph/1833315
http://sulit.com.ph/1833325

Peter
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:28 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=jumamoja;6444940]I am an War Pensioner thinking of retiring to the Philippines under Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRVisa) which is a special non-immigrant resident visa that provides its holders with multiple-entry and indefinite stay status in the Philippines.

Hi, I read your post and some of the replies with interest.I thought I had posted a reply the other day, but maybe I didn't press the right keys.
I am in something like the same position as you, currently relocating here to the Philippines. My first wife was a Filipina, and so is the new one. I have been to all the places mentioned by the others and agree with all of them. A few ideas though. Palawan is definitely nice, quiet and plenty of beaches to buy, build or rent a house by. San Fernando, La Union is also great, a bit busy maybe but plenty of beaches, the main drawback is getting to and from - to the airport etc, it's a good 8 hours of terrible drive to Manila and the airport unless you use Clark Field whichn is only (only) about 5 hours away. Personally I favour Mindoro as its only a couple of hours drive and a short ferry trip from Manila, but very quiet and a lot cleaner than many other parts of the Philippines>
My advice, for what it's worth is to travel around, find somewhere that appeals to you, rent a hotel room, or resort for a few days or so then look for somewhere more permanent, but try to keep away from central and north luzon as you are pretty well stuck with using the macarthur highway to get to and from and its a nightmare, good luck
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sunnydays
Hi Chris, we retired here 4 years ago, built two places to live, one in the cooler Leisure Farms and the other in San Luis by the sea for building boats and fishing. Mabini is quite close and the area is protected from over fishing.
Chose an English run builder who spends most of his time abroad with new contracts!
However despite all the hard work we have decided to move to San Pablo where my wife has family and friends. Visiting over the last 4 years has proved that they will not be a financial burden and Mila will have more of a social life. (I'll take my boat with me )
Here are the links to our props if you are interested.

http://sulit.com.ph/1833315
http://sulit.com.ph/1833325

Peter
Hi Peter, I remember getting lost down in that area a couple of months ago, Nice area, one of my possibilities to end up. However I am quite interested in the boat building. I always thought it a bit silly to come to a country with over 7100 islands and not have a boat. I have to wait a while to get the cash from my divorce settlement but the gf family have a house and lot down past lucena right on the shore which I am interested in. Ideal as it's sheltered from the elements. I was thinking of having a boat built or converting one. I have to go back to UK march 7 for some hospital appointments, but I would certainly like to pick your brains on the boat front. I'm staying in Alabang at the moment, but could pop down if you like, interesting what you say about your wifes family not being a financial burden. Lucky man, My first wife, also filipina had more relatives than you can shake a stick at, and lost track of who I was supporting, but thats another story. All the best, Chris
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Hi Chris,
Seems we could have a lot to chat about.
The boat scene is "stich & Glue" which is marine ply wired together and epoxy over fibre glass tape joins. Study this web site of the Filipino guys who are mad keen boaters, lovely chaps and they meet at TAAL lake for races and getogethers. www.pinoyboats.org you will see loads of prodject of the members constructing their boats amongst them are mine.. .
The best of it is that they all use English on the site and if you "post" something they respond almost imediately, great blokes.

Peter
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Hi Peter, thanks for that, I will check it out
Chris
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Living by the sea has its romantic visions and there are times when its very true, such as the sunsets and the swallows flying round your balcony catching their breakfast. However there are other sides to this. Some of the poorest Filipinos live by the fishing trade and bring their culture to the beaches. You cannot prevent them treating the beaches as dustbins and leaving their mess following a beach party. We have seen some awfull sights from our balcony including adults using our sea wall for their toilets (but it keeps the kids away from climbing into our garden)
The local people who live here permanently don't consider the waterfront anything special and have their balconys facing inwards to the baranguy streets. As a rest house its great to be on the waterside but I could not live there parmanently. Also the typhoons arrive with vengence from the sea bending the coconut trees almost double, wrenching out any landscape ideas. Perhaps our Oleanders will stand it
during the year the tide levels change and presently the water is at its lowest, later on the water will come up through our gate and swirl up around the ramp, this is a good time and the beaches get a clean-up. the locals hide during a typhoon but I love it, they must think we are crazy (crazy anglazy)
Luckily the beach in San Luis is not as bad as others we've seen and the reef edge to the bay gives shelter from the strongest of tides. The sand colour is not quite black, not like Nasugbu where we couldn't imagine lying on it
the sea colour is mostly blue, again not like the colour near Lemery which is like Skegness. The white sand beaches of Catalagan are beautiful but when the tides out it really is out......Weston - S - Mare ??

Bit of a ramble sorry

Peter
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Hi, Yes I know what you mean. The property I have in mind is a bit secluded, there are currently only about 5 houses, and ours (maybe) will be the end one just before a gulley. I have had a good look around and there seems no evidence of any problems with water run off. And no other houses for about a mile or so. The only downside for me is the beach itself, the sand being a dirty brown colour with lots of pebbles. Not too worried though as I don't plan on any sunbathing on the beach or anything. At the moment though I am not entirely sure whether to buy/build or rent. I don't want to be tied somewhere, unable to sell up. Renting seems to have the advantage of being able to go somewhere else with little hassle. The only definite is I want a boat. Not sure what type yet, certainly something big enough to live on for a few days at a time, whether that is a converted fishing banca or a cruiser hull. Certainly with an engine I can easily get work done on and get parts easily. I have always been attracted to the Arab dhow, they seem quite seaworthy. My GF seems a bit worried about piracy, maybe I should be too, any feelings about that?

Cheers Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.