NT Tax Code

Old May 20th 2023, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NT Tax Code

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The advice in red related specifically to that poster, who will be submitting his UK state pension claim from his country of residence, Australia. There's no Social Security Agreement between the UK and Australia.
Yes i understand the point of claim issue.

The suggestion posted on here was that the state pension was frozen and not increased the moment one left the Uk. I think that is now shown to be incorrect. The policy makes sense at point of payment not pre payment.

cheers

I am still battling with the telephone department after ordering a statement I am told to call back, select option 4 then option 1. This rings twice goes to engaged and then they auto disconnects within 10 seconds. i wonder if they will extend the deadline again, I have also written yet again
Old May 20th 2023, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
"You need to become a non- dom from the UK and have no assets there.As the Philippines has a reciprocal arrangement with the UK you arrange to have your state pension paid in the Philippines effectively by the Philippines government."

This I do n ot understand. I have all my UK pensions paid directly into Philippine account. Why involve a third party?
are your combined pensions below the uk personal allowance, this would then be free of UK income tax
Old May 20th 2023, 6:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
Yes i understand the point of claim issue.

The suggestion posted on here was that the state pension was frozen and not increased the moment one left the Uk. I think that is now shown to be incorrect. The policy makes sense at point of payment not pre payment.

cheers

I am still battling with the telephone department after ordering a statement I am told to call back, select option 4 then option 1. This rings twice goes to engaged and then they auto disconnects within 10 seconds. i wonder if they will extend the deadline again, I have also written yet again
Yep, if you're lucky enough to live in a country that has an agreement with the UK to increase the state pension on an annual basis then your payments will continue as if you will still living in the UK.

My Brit husband was under state pension age when he moved to Australia, when he reached UK state pension age he applied from here (Oz). The amount of pension he was paid was the going rate for that year, but of course it was frozen at that rate due to there being no social security agreement between the UK and Oz.

We followed through on our plan to live our retirement years in the UK (I got a spouse visa), and moved there in 2018. We were surprised when his pension was increased in line with that year's rate, it wasn't something we'd thought about.

Then, after 2.5 years in the UK, my husband realised that he missed living in Oz and between us we decided to move back. At that point, he pension was again frozen at the rate he was getting when we left the UK and returned to Oz.

I'd like to say that the pension increases he received while living in the UK cancelled out the thousands of pounds in spouse visa fees we paid, but it didn't Never mind, I had a ball living in England so it was well worth it.

Sorry you're having trouble getting through on the phone, it's very frustrating.

Old May 20th 2023, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

I pay a small amount in UK tax and I am not prepared to risk losing out on annual pension adjustments (particularly this year) by going down the Non Dom route.
Old May 21st 2023, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
I pay a small amount in UK tax and I am not prepared to risk losing out on annual pension adjustments (particularly this year) by going down the Non Dom route.
That's the beauty of the UK Philippines reciprocal agreement, as a nondom you still get the annual adjustments.
Old May 21st 2023, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
That's the beauty of the UK Philippines reciprocal agreement, as a nondom you still get the annual adjustments.
What is all this talk of "non dom status"? Non dom status in the UK is for individuals who live there and don't want to pay tax on all their income from foreign sources so they agree to pay a flat annual sum instead (30,000 pounds a year for the first 7 years) - famously, like the PM's wife.

What is a non-dom? - BBC News

I live in Spain and get the annual pension increases. I still have assets in the UK (not property, but investments) and that does not affect the pension increases at all. The Phillipines has a reciprocal social security agreement with the UK and therefore any UK state pensioner living there will also get the annual increases - it is included in HMRC's list which I posted earlier. Being non resident in the UK is not the same at all as being a non dom.