New to community

Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Vic H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to community

I think that I posted a thread but I don't know where it is.
I am thinking about retiring to Philippines in the San Fernando La Union area. Some people say there is no threat of typhoons in that area but others say that there are occasional typhoons. If anyone knows about suth things I would appreciate hearing from you. I am also concerned about security. Should I be looking to rent a house in a walled and gated community with armed guards and attack dogs or are there other alternatives less severe that I should seek out? I also would be looking into doing volunteer work involving a local Anglican(Episcopal) parish. I have spent many years doing work with handicapped and elderly patients providing Physical Therapy treatment and nursing care as an RN.
I would appreciate any recommendation and/or advice.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to community

Originally Posted by Vic H
I am thinking about retiring to Philippines in the San Fernando La Union area. Some people say there is no threat of typhoons in that area but others say that there are occasional typhoons. If anyone knows about suth things I would appreciate hearing from you. I am also concerned about security. Should I be looking to rent a house in a walled and gated community with armed guards and attack dogs or are there other alternatives less severe that I should seek out? I also would be looking into doing volunteer work involving a local Anglican(Episcopal) parish. I have spent many years doing work with handicapped and elderly patients providing Physical Therapy treatment and nursing care as an RN.
Welcome to BE. Here is your other thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/welco...munity-844461/
Old Oct 5th 2014, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the group.
There is no where in the Philippines that is safe from an occasional typhoon, I live in eastern Panay that they say is rarely hit by typhoons but has been hit by the two most powerful typhoons to have ever hit the Philippines. The good news is that it doesn't snow.
'
As for where/how to live, if you feel the need for barbed wire and machine gun posts you will not enjoy living there. I built a house between a small village and the edge of the jungle, yes I do have a wall and 3 very protective jungle dogs, mainly to keep the family from moving in, but each to their own. I would look around and ask around before renting/buying something permanent.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thank you for the message. Sound advice. I would probably settle for a gated community if I can get a one hectare plot of land with it so I can have 2 dogs to run around on it.
Kindest regards,
Vic H
Old Oct 6th 2014, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thank you for the message. Sound advice. I would probably settle for a gated community if I can get a one hectare plot of land with it so I can have 2 dogs to run around on it.
Kindest regards,
Vic H
Not too sure what type of dogs you are thinking of getting but 1 hectare will be well under used if you are thinking of local dogs, not the most active dogs in the World. Secondly it is highly unlikely you will get a gated plot of more than a few hundred square meters.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

I was thinking of Doberman or Doberman mix type dog. I had a co-worker who has a 2 hectare plot in a gated community in Mindoro. I never delved any deeper into the details because I didn't have an interest in living in Mindoro. I never realized that a hectare was considered as being large. My property now here in U.S. is 31/2 acres but it is not in a gated community. My dog would go out every morning and patrol the perimeter of the land, do his duty and come in for breakfast which I would have prepared for him by the time he came to the door and barked to be let in. I lost him in February and still have an emptiness in my heart from his passing. I will have to see what is financially possible for me. I may have to lower my expectations. I hope I will be able to open some sort of adult day care in the area.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I think the only advice I can give about carrying out any voluntary work in the Philippines is don't tread on any toes. If you are offering something for free that someone else is making a business from you could find yourself in deep water very quickly. And as for your laudable idea of an adult day care centre, does this fit with the Philippine extended family culture where both adult care and child care is carried out within the family.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Hello Gazza-D,
Thank you for your message.
I realize that I have a lot learn and explore when I get to the Philippines. I understand that the concept of family has strong ties and obligations among family members. If such a family has a member with a handicap or diminished abilities a daycare facility with techniques in physical therapy, and occupational therapy that can be explained to family caretakers and used to enhance the abilities of the handicapped in a way not regimented but respectful of patient and caregiver and hopefully fun.
Kindest regards,
Vic H
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Gazza, you will have to investigate very carefully. Partly because the price you can charge has to be affordable, and the definition of affordable here is VERY different from UK!although there is a growing middle class, it's still a tiny percentage of the population.

Here's a link to a daycare near us in Mandaue - gives you some idea of the charges.

Learning Center and Day Care Center in Mandaue City, Cebu
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, here's one that says it caters for disabled children.

R.I.G.H.T. Day Care | Everything Cebu
Old Oct 11th 2014, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Hello quiltman,
Thank you for your message.
I feel I must clarify what I wrote about earlier. The type of daycare I am interested in having would not charge for any services or even for a lunch. My focus would be more for elderly and handicapped adults. As my Sociology Professor said many years ago: Young handicapped children always have an appeal to the general public and much more easily receive help. They are cute. Handicapped adults and elderly do not have that same appeal. They do not generally receive the same amount care and attention. They usually have their essential care....food, body washed, clean clothes but not much exercise, game playing, "play dates" with people there own age or activities to help ward off Alzheimers or Dememtia. I guess I feel that these people deserve a quality of life that I don't think enough of them get.