Me and My Family

Old Aug 24th 2017, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Me and My Family

Mikek1,

And I agree with you. Fortunately my lovely lady has a fixed allowance to cover rent, utilities etc and the increase in water and electricity she pays for. If she asks for an increase to cover the extra costs then there will be an issue and will have to get it from a contribution from them. I have no idea how long this arrangement will go on for but they are not intruding on our privacy. They live in the small outhouse. Internet may be an issue if she realizes that she is getting quarter speed now when they are at "home". Fortunately, they do not spend much time here during the day and he has never been in our house. Waddly rarely pops in now.

Regards
It is less about the money side but more about the inconvenience of having permanent visitors. The TV is always on a WowWowWee type program, the batteries for the remote have gone missing, the kettle you have just boiled for your coffee is empty, the gate is left open and the dogs have done a runner. Mind you we have not had any permanent visitors for years. I warned the wife but she did not believe me, I just wandered around with no cloths on sometimes, wife looked horrified and the visitors fled.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 12th 2017 at 12:27 am.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
DO NOT Teach live classes from home. one way of getting yourself set up for a huge big fall

teach from home on line and you will not have those issues.

If you have classes from home you will be expected to get a permit and pay associated costs. as you will be teaching you must have a residence permit not a tourist permit .

You will then need to register with BIR and submit oodles of paperwork. For this reason on line teaching using skype to classrooms is being used more and more.

Things start to go missing at home.....what then etc etc . ages of student being below 18 in your private residence...there are laws against that despite any good intent.

DO NOT teach live from Home, do it on line
Looks like I may have dodged a bullet there. I used to teach kids ( about 12-16 year olds ) English and science at the weekends, for free, well I say free those who turned up got a free soft drink and the missus made a snack. It was done on the downstairs veranda facing the front so they were always in view and sometimes one or more parents used to be there for a gossip with the missus. Now I leave it up to the teachers and get the kids excited about learning by giving money for high marks at the end of each term. Not 100% success but a great improvement in most of them, unless of course they are using some of their gains to bribe the teachers into giving higher marks.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Looks like I may have dodged a bullet there. I used to teach kids ( about 12-16 year olds ) English and science at the weekends, for free, well I say free those who turned up got a free soft drink and the missus made a snack. It was done on the downstairs veranda facing the front so they were always in view and sometimes one or more parents used to be there for a gossip with the missus. Now I leave it up to the teachers and get the kids excited about learning by giving money for high marks at the end of each term. Not 100% success but a great improvement in most of them, unless of course they are using some of their gains to bribe the teachers into giving higher marks.
Yes we ran an internet cafe from home. converted the garage area so it was part of the home!! Was given a very friendly bit of advice by the local Home owners president to not allow children in unless with older members of their family.

I know a really good guy in CDO who used to do some teaching from home on pc and the Barangay captain said no do not do it the local uniform people will set you up for claiming your are doing on line stuff with kids etc . he closed down fast!! He and his wife were teaching English and computer studies. The peace of paperwork that is needed is the CHED stuff so you get central approval. Took me months to get that through when I helped set up a school in Cebu for foreign students, freaking nightmare
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikemike
Yes we ran an internet cafe from home. converted the garage area so it was part of the home!! Was given a very friendly bit of advice by the local Home owners president to not allow children in unless with older members of their family.

I know a really good guy in CDO who used to do some teaching from home on pc and the Barangay captain said no do not do it the local uniform people will set you up for claiming your are doing on line stuff with kids etc . he closed down fast!! He and his wife were teaching English and computer studies. The peace of paperwork that is needed is the CHED stuff so you get central approval. Took me months to get that through when I helped set up a school in Cebu for foreign students, freaking nightmare
Glad I am only doing points = Pesos now then.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Stokkevn,

I will be the first to admit that they are no problem. Gate is always locked, no noise from TV or radio and no intrusion on our privacy. The only noise I hear is when he is taking a shower and I am amazed at how loud and how many bodily noises I hear. Perhaps its a culture thing. However it would be fair to say that my relationship with them is curt but polite. So, they are not costing me anything and are not intrusive. But what irks is that no-one has told me what is going on. Perhaps that is my lovely lady's fault but deep down I know the finger points at me. I should be more assertive on what goes on here but as long as the situation does not change in respect to their behavior, then I will let it lie. For now.

Regards

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:58 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn,

I will be the first to admit that they are no problem. Gate is always locked, no noise from TV or radio and no intrusion on our privacy. The only noise I hear is when he is taking a shower and I am amazed at how loud and how many bodily noises I hear. Perhaps its a culture thing. However it would be fair to say that my relationship with them is curt but polite. So, they are not costing me anything and are not intrusive. But what irks is that no-one has told me what is going on. Perhaps that is my lovely lady's fault but deep down I know the finger points at me. I should be more assertive on what goes on here but as long as the situation does not change in respect to their behavior, then I will let it lie. For now.

Regards
In a way you are lucky that the 'visitors' occupy a separate building and access can be somewhat controlled to the main building. Here we only have the downstairs bedrooms which are part of the main house.

Old Aug 30th 2017, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Stokkevn,

I doubt if I can countenance that especially if they are not paying towards their upkeep. I know a lot of people do....but its not for me. I do find the situation here very irksome despite the fact that they keep themselves to themselves and not costing me anything extra. Irksome because Waddly is living here under a lie, owes me money which I lent to help her out and now without any reference to me having a live in boyfriend.

She has not had contact with her family for about a week whereas before she visited them most days or they were ringing her every day or so. She has not paid her fathers medicine bill this month nor half the rent as far as I am aware. I hope the situation normalizes soon. She is the only one who has helped her family in a meaningful way. When she was a little girl, she helped the fishermen drag in the nets for a few fish, at school she spent the weekends selling banana que for money and left home to earn money for her family. Now it appears they have forgotten what she has done for them. But she is very resilient but also vulnerable inside and easily hurt which sounds like a contradiction.
But you know what I mean.

Thinking of formally proposing to her in the next day or so which I think will make her feel better. But I have said that I will out of courtesy ask her father for her hand and treat them to a celebratory beach party. Wonder how that will go down. We shall see.

Regards

Old Aug 30th 2017, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

, Congratulations on your possible upcoming nuptials! Your GF (fiancee???) sounds like a good 'un even though her family are a pain in the backside at times! You know the philosophy here - today is what counts, not what happened in the past. They probably look on her past help as nothing more than her responsibility at the time and so is forgotten very quickly, unlike us Brits who remember the kindnesses shown us even though it was some time ago. Good luck for the future and please keep us updated! I am in contact with 2 Brits who have read ALL 78 pages of your saga as they are looking to join their GFs here! It's opened their eyes!
Regards,
gary

Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately here, help is rarely thanked and never remembered.

My wife gave two of her cousins kid's money ( one P30k the other about P20k ) so they could go overseas to work. Neither I nor my wife ever received a thank you from parents or the kids, one of the kids was home not long ago, never came round to see her. The parents of the other kid no longer speak to my wife as they are now business people ( Sari-sari store and buy/sell a few sacks of rice ) and we are only retirees.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Your lovely lady sounds like she makes you happy and you her. I wish you both a long happy life together.
Dorothy

Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:15 am
Just Joined

PistolPey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Unfortunately here, help is rarely thanked and never remembered.

My wife gave two of her cousins kid's money ( one P30k the other about P20k ) so they could go overseas to work. Neither I nor my wife ever received a thank you from parents or the kids, one of the kids was home not long ago, never came round to see her. The parents of the other kid no longer speak to my wife as they are now business people ( Sari-sari store and buy/sell a few sacks of rice ) and we are only retirees.
I experience this too, my gf only earns 26,000 and she lives alone in Makati so she has a lot of expenses but she still manages to send her mother around 2-4 thousand each month who lives in Zamboanga. It always angers me as I never see any remorse or thank you by her mother.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:08 am
LPR
Forum Regular

LPR is on a distinguished road

It seems this is "normal Life" in The Philippines. My GF was the same, sending money each month for her sisters medicine, which I think is only right as her sister could not afford it. But she was always first port of call whenever the rest of the family needed something, fortunately now that things are serious between us it's our money for our house so they have to look to other family members for help.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:16 am
LPR
Forum Regular

LPR is on a distinguished road

Can I just add my congratulations , your determination to make it work for you both is a credit to you. I can't wait for the report on the engagement party.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 12th 2017 at 12:28 am.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Well done marriage is a fantastic institution, I have been married for 42 years, 3 different wives but that's another story.

Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

yea, well done Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 12th 2017 at 12:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.