British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Me and My Family (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/me-my-family-851728/)

Philosophical 11 Jan 29th 2015 11:25 am

Me and My Family

Hi to all. I have posted here before and I was very pleased with all the helpful responses. I have a few additional questions and I would be grateful for your advice.

I am planning to retire during late March of this year where I will be living with my fillipina gf. My first question is: Any ex-pats living in ?

I am familiar with the routine of obtaining visa's etc and the need to leave the country after a certain time to start the process again. It may well be that I will be going the 13a route. My question is this: On arrival at Manila airport I intend to apply for the 59 day visa. Is there any hassle involved in this? I have read somewhere I need to be armed with documentary evidence of income etc. Would it be as simple as applying for the normal visitors visa? I understand I will require a "throwaway" flight ticket for an onward journey.

I am on prescribed drugs for BP, cholesterol and hiatus hernia. Any problems with obtaining these drugs in the Philippines?

That's all I have to ask right now but no doubt I will think of supplementary questions as the departure date draws near.

Thanks in advance for your interest

Philosophical 11 Jan 29th 2015 11:45 am

re: Me and My Family

I knew there was another question to ask!

Transferring funds from the UK: Most people use BPI but an internet search tells me that the nearest BPI branch appears to be about a million miles away! My gf tells me that the only major bank there is Landbank. I believe there is a branch here in the UK so I shall have to investigate that avenue. If I cannot use Landbank for the purpose of transferring funds, I would be grateful for alternative suggestions.

quiltman Jan 29th 2015 12:44 pm

Re your drugs - you can check on MIMS Philippines , Search Drug Information, Interactions, Images, Dosage & Side Effects | MIMS.com Philippines , you need to register but you don't get slammed with emails. This will tell you - if your drugs are available, if there is a cheaper generic and the approximate cost.
Otherwise, send me a PM with your drugs, and dosage, and I'll check at my local pharmacy for you. We can get all my wifes prescriptions here, mostly without a doctors note! some, such as nicorandil go by a different name.

For banking, all I can suggest is see which bank has the nearest branch/ATM and go ask them.Landbank do not seem to have a UK representative but it's likely they have a correspondent bank there. you'll need to go ask them. They do offer an e-padala system for overseas filippinos to transfer funds back here and maybe this could work.

Philosophical 11 Jan 30th 2015 9:36 am

Thank you Quiltman,

I have sent you a pm re the prescriptive drugs. As you say, Land Bank does not appear to have an office in the UK... I think my next step would be to see if my UK bank could transfer monthly funds . Failing that, to open an account with BPI where funds from the UK bank can be transferred to BPI and from there transferred to

quiltman Jan 30th 2015 9:48 am

Have replied to you via PM.
Yes, using BPI would work as they say on the UK site www.bpieuropeplc.com that you can transfer money to any other bank here within 24 hours. Here's the info;
https://www.bpieuropeplc.com/remittances

Hope this helps.

Gary

Stokkevn Jan 30th 2015 11:30 am

Thank you Quiltman,

I have sent you a pm re the prescriptive drugs. As you say, Land Bank does not appear to have an office in the UK... I think my next step would be to see if my UK bank could transfer monthly funds t. Failing that, to open an account with BPI where funds from the UK bank can be transferred to BPI and from there transferred .

Using BPI to transfer to Ph and then transfer online to Landsbank will, I think, be your best option. Years ago I asked Barclays about transferring to Ph, their exchange rate was 68, BPI ( and Forex ) was 91.
Bit of a ball ache the initial set up the BPI>Landsbank online transfer, but after that painless

wayne42 Feb 1st 2015 11:44 am

I am familiar with the routine of obtaining visa's etc and the need to leave the country after a certain time to start the process again. It may well be that I will be going the 13a route. My question is this: On arrival at Manila airport I intend to apply for the 59 day visa. Is there any hassle involved in this? I have read somewhere I need to be armed with documentary evidence of income etc. Would it be as simple as applying for the normal visitors visa? I understand I will require a "throwaway" flight ticket for an onward journey.
If you want a 59 day visa you will need to apply for one at the Phil embassy in London.
Alternatively,when you arrive they will give you a 30 day visa free stay..Before the 30 days expire you will need to extend at B.I for 29 days.
You next extention is I think for 3 months but you will also need to pay 50$$ for an ACR card which is valid for 1 year.. You can extend for up to 3 years without having to leave but you will have to renew your ACR card annually.
13a visa is only if you are married to a Filipino.. Best to apply for that in the UK via the embassy IMO as you will be issued a permanent visa.. Apply in the R.P and its only temporary for one year..You will need to apply after that year to make it permanent.
First requirement though..You need a wife!

quiltman Feb 2nd 2015 12:00 am

You can apply for a 59 day visa at the airport.
BEFORE the immigration desks , there is an immigration office (on left hand side IIRC), go to the window there and ask for 59 day visa. Sorry, cannot remember cost as we have SRRV , so don't need tourist visa any more.
If you can get one in UK prior to arriving then that'll save you some time at least!

Gazza-d Feb 2nd 2015 7:17 am

It's also a little bit cheaper to get it in the UK before yo7u travel. And you won't have to mess around at the airport after 18 hours on the road.

Philosophical 11 Feb 2nd 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for your replies about the 59 day visa. It is as I thought. I guess it would be best to try and arrive during normal working hours rather than some ungodly hour in the morning unless it is 24 hour manned. But there again, as I am most probably staying overnight in Manila I can return to the BI the next day. Despite me sending links from the Phils Embassy in London, and BI in Manila, my gf is flapping that I cannot get an entry visa on arrival. According to her "friend" the process takes weeks and can only be done through the Phils Embassy in London. And as I am due to arrive next month..she is getting very concerned to say the least. I will probably apply in the Uk anyway.

Thanks for the PM Quiltman....I have replied.

Gazza-d Feb 2nd 2015 11:42 am

You get if as you pass though immigration, I don't think you can return and get it later. I also don't know if the office is 24 hour, many of the UK flights arrive late afternoon into the evening. You could wait until your free 30 days is nearly up and go the the BI but it could easily make a hole in your day and involve much travelling. For a fee many travel agents will get the extensions for you. If in Manila you can also get a six month visa but there are not cost savings although you would save a couple of days in your life.

wayne42 Feb 2nd 2015 12:39 pm

I`m not sure what you are getting all stressed about mate!!
As you have already been advised..You will receive a 30 day visa free stay.. After that you can get a 29 day extension from just about any B.I office in the R.P!!
Relax.

Philosophical 11 Feb 2nd 2015 8:19 pm

Again thanks all for your interest and replies. Gf has received info that I can get the 59 day visa at Manila Airport. I was already convinced of that but it was convincing her.....flap over!

Ps,,,Quiltman I have pm'd you.

Philosophical 11 Feb 23rd 2015 10:50 am

Hi all again,

Two supplementary questions please:
I am about to get quotes to move my personal effects from the UK to Phils. There are no large items to move such as furniture but clothing, music cd/dvds a few bottles of wine and bits and pieces etc. Has anyone got recommendations on who to use/avoid? Or any tips would be helpful.

My fillipina gf and I have been asked to be a "sponsor" I understand this to be much the same as Godmother/Father. Wishing to be accepted quickly into the family, I said it would be an honour to accept. I just wonder if I am letting myself into something? I would be interested in your views.

Regards

Stokkevn Feb 23rd 2015 11:26 am

Hi all again,

Two supplementary questions please:
I am about to get quotes to move my personal effects from the UK to Phils. There are no large items to move such as furniture but clothing, music cd/dvds a few bottles of wine and bits and pieces etc. Has anyone got recommendations on who to use/avoid? Or any tips would be helpful.

My fillipina gf and I have been asked to be a "sponsor" a few days after I arrive. I understand this to be much the same as Godmother/Father. Wishing to be accepted quickly into the family, I said it would be an honour to accept. I just wonder if I am letting myself into something? I would be interested in your views.

Ref your moving of bits out to Ph. I have used LBC with great success, you can even track your package online ( 15x20x22inch box £55 or 20x22x30 for £100 ), other friends have used someone called Danny ( will send PM with contact details ). Transit time is anywhere between 6-9 weeks.

Ref becoming a "sponsor" at christening, graduations and weddings you will find that, as the local European, you will be asked to be a sponsor every time there is a chance. I would try to keep it to the closest family, I am asked to be one about twice a month, some from people I am not sure I have ever met, most I do not accept. The owner of a stall in the local market where I buy a few things already had the invitations printed with my name under "sponsor" before I was asked.