Me and My Family

Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Me and My Family

They have no idea of profit have they? The tricycle cost is a prime example! I'd tell her that you want to meet the 2 friends so you can ask about repayment of your 8K. You'll soon know if they ever got it!!
Beware the buying of the house and land - assume the 1.5 is 1.5million, not 1.5K? It will have to be in her name, but the land could go in her name and you have a lease from her for the house. This is allowed and as a lease has to be for minimum of 25 years it does at least give you some security. Plenty of threads on here about this.
I'd get worm boy to the doctor, he sounds really poorly if he's not eating. We have one of those here, never stops nibbling on something. As always, thats for the smiles. Looking forward to the next installment.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 23rd 2017 at 9:03 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Medication for worms is not expensive. Why not get him treated ?
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
They have no idea of profit have they? The tricycle cost is a prime example! I'd tell her that you want to meet the 2 friends so you can ask about repayment of your 8K. You'll soon know if they ever got it!!
Beware the buying of the house and land - assume the 1.5 is 1.5million, not 1.5K? It will have to be in her name, but the land could go in her name and you have a lease from her for the house. This is allowed and as a lease has to be for minimum of 25 years it does at least give you some security. Plenty of threads on here about this.
I'd get worm boy to the doctor, he sounds really poorly if he's not eating. We have one of those here, never stops nibbling on something. As always, thats for the smiles . Looking forward to the next installment.
I'd be very careful of the lease idea. It will only work whilst she is a girlfriend. You can not lease from your wife as the Philippine family code considders a husband and wife to be a single unit so you would be leasing from yourself.

Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Not sure how true this is but when I bought some residential land ( in my wife's name of course ) the local judge ( ex lawyer ) said that the best way to protect myself would be to have under purchaser 'Mrs E married to Mr E' he said that the land could not be sold without my signature but the monies received from the sale I would have to fight for. The house is actually in my name ( not by design, just that the builder only had my name when he went to the registration place )

So basically We have land that she can only sell with my signature and I own a house that I can sell but it is on someone else's land, so I assume no person in their right mind would buy it. Could anyone think of a way of making it more complicated?

Last edited by Stokkevn; Feb 12th 2016 at 11:09 am.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Not sure how true this is but when I bought some residential land ( in my wife's name of course ) the local judge ( ex lawyer ) said that the best way to protect myself would be to have under purchaser 'Mrs E married to Mr E' he said that the land could not be sold without my signature but the monies received from the sale I would have to fight for. The house is actually in my name ( not by design, just that the builder only had my name when he went to the registration place )

So basically We have land that she can only sell with my signature and I own a house that I can sell but it is on someone else's land, so I assume no person in their right mind would buy it. Could anyone think of a way of making it more complicated?
Your in the Philippines, complication is their middle name. Althought you have registered your interest in the land by having you name included in the title you are not allowed any control over that land by law as a foriegner so I'm not sure if it's anything more than a courtesy. Your wife not being able to sell the land without your signature implies control. Again you can legally own the house but you still have to get the money, and prove what you are owed, and as they say you can't get blood from a stone. Mind you if you house is on wheels you could always move it down the road should the necessity arise.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware. the only way a foreigner can own a house in the Philippines is if he has built it himself. And then he must provide all receipts down to the last nut and bolt.

Not sure what happens if a married foreigner has a house (in wifes name) and she dies. Who gets the house? I believe there are safeguards if his name is on the title deeds which of course does not mean ownership. Maybe this helps circumventing the wifes family laying claim to the house. Don't know. No idea if there is a "will" system in the Philippines. But I guess even if there is, the odds will be stacked against the foreigner anyway. I understand a foreigner can buy a condominium but I believe there are restrictions on that also.

A foreigner as far as I see it cannot own land. Despite various clever ideas to try and circumvent the law, I believe you are on dodgy ground. Pun intended.

Admin. This is a very important subject and it seems a shame to be lost . Maybe it can be moved to form a new thread so anyone interested can refer to it when considering land/property in the Philippines.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 23rd 2017 at 9:02 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware. the only way a foreigner can own a house in the Philippines is if he has built it himself. And then he must provide all receipts down to the last nut and bolt.

Not sure what happens if a married foreigner has a house (in wifes name) and she dies. Who gets the house? I believe there are safeguards if his name is on the title deeds which of course does not mean ownership. Maybe this helps circumventing the wifes family laying claim to the house. Don't know. No idea if there is a "will" system in the Philippines. But I guess even if there is, the odds will be stacked against the foreigner anyway. I understand a foreigner can buy a condominium but I believe there are restrictions on that also.

A foreigner as far as I see it cannot own land. Despite various clever ideas to try and circumvent the law, I believe you are on dodgy ground. Pun intended.

Admin. This is a very important subject and it seems a shame to be lost Maybe it can be moved to form a new thread so anyone interested can refer to it when considering land/property in the Philippines.
My local judge/lawyer has just confirmed that foreigners can own land ( residential only ) and house but only if the house/land is known to be in joint ownership ( hence the Mrs E married to Mr E as purchaser on title ), but only after the Filipino wife/husband has died and may own it 100% while trying to sell the property, his quote "This could take many years" and he also suggested that as we were unlikely to be able to leave our house to any kids from previous marriage the best thing to do is to sell the house ( for a token P100 ) to a relative who you would like it to go to anyway with a clause in the deed of sale that their move in date would be in 30 years time or when you die of natural causes which ever is earlier.

Old Feb 13th 2016, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
My local judge/lawyer has just confirmed that foreigners can own land ( residential only ) and house but only if the house/land is known to be in joint ownership ( hence the Mrs E married to Mr E as purchaser on title ), but only after the Filipino wife/husband has died and may own it 100% while trying to sell the property, his quote "This could take many years" and he also suggested that as we were unlikely to be able to leave our house to any kids from previous marriage the best thing to do is to sell the house ( for a token P100 ) to a relative who you would like it to go to anyway with a clause in the deed of sale that their move in date would be in 30 years time or when you die of natural causes which ever is earlier.
There is a will system in the Philippines but you can't use it to circumvent the law. Yes you can inherit land as a foreigner but the rules of inheritance apply. As a husband you are something like 4th or 5th in line and may only end up with a share.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
There is a will system in the Philippines but you can't use it to circumvent the law. Yes you can inherit land as a foreigner but the rules of inheritance apply. As a husband you are something like 4th or 5th in line and may only end up with a share.
I realise that you may not get all the money but you have the exclusive right of abode until you sell it.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Still all quiet here. Nice. But eerie.

Again, very little sign of my lovely lady's family. They used to be here most evenings with the kids frolicking about (normally when I am trying to have my evening meal) and her father sitting next to me with the "I want Red Horse" look in his eyes. Someone came around this evening without a hello or good evening and took away some garden furniture which I think they gave us to accommodate the extended family during their visits. Something has happened....I know not what.

Worm boy is ill. Thought there was something up as I mentioned in my last post. He has a "fever". As I have tried to explain to them before, treat the cause.... not the symptoms. His mother has no idea what has caused the fever so is giving him medication to treat the fever. He has not seen a doctor. I related a story a few pages back that she has no trust in the local doctors and would prefer to travel a few hours to see a private doctor. He is showing the signs of typhoid fever which was diagnosed by a private doctor before. I am/was skeptical of that diagnosis. As far as the worms issue goes, it may be cheap but I am not a doctor to diagnose treatment. I have told her what I thought and recommended he see a doctor. They all just laughed at the crazy foreigner. No....how can her beloved son have worms?

The two debts I related to in my last post: Both of them are her friends and normally we have to dash to Palawan or whatever to send the money to her friends. This never happened on these two occasions. One is a wealthy (just bought a house) on line seller who wanted 3k. That never made sense to me. 30k maybe. She came here about 10 weeks ago and I said I would ask about repayment. Gf then gave a convoluted story which went over my head and said she would pay instead but I must not mention the debt to her. That just confirmed my suspicions. Second one was to an OFW for 5k. Lent before to her and got timely repayment. She initially wanted 15k over 3 months. I said no. Later it was 5k but again, no visit to Palawan to send the money. She earns 18k pm in Kuwait so why would she want a loan? So again, suspicions had been aroused. That was about 3 months ago. I shall go about retrieving some of the money at the end of the month when I give her allowance. Which is before we go to Bohol for a few days for a break.

Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Sent me off to bed with a smile !

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 11th 2017 at 10:11 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:22 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Feb 17th 2016, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope it is not the calm before the storm! LOL .As always I enjoy life's ups and downs
Andrew

Old Feb 22nd 2016, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Greetings all,

Worm boy had full diagnostic tests and was taken to the local doctor and said there was nothing wrong, except he had a cough and a temperature. His mother (gf sister) was not satisfied. After all, her beloved son must have something more serious and took him to a private doctor (again) who sent him to hospital. We visited that day, and he was in a childrens ward and with him were kids who reading from their bedside notes had such traumas as ....difficulty in breathing....failure to thrive....loss of vision.... amputation and a few other nasty things. Our hero's notes simply said *Cough and fever*. This prompted lots of facebook pictures by his mother which garnered much support with prayers and best wishes. Interestingly, only one picture showed him looking sorry for himself. The other 3 dozen showed him scoffing and playing computer games.

He come home tonight. Still coughing. He arrived home and was straight into very large helpings of rice and fish heads I think. Worm boy is back in form. Albeit with a cough....and his mother with I suspect a large hospital bill.

I was introduced to a very quaint custom tonight. My lovely lady decided that we should drop by her parents house. I know not what for. I mentioned earlier that relations were not normal for whatever reason and this was our first visit for a couple of weeks. I know there is something up....but cannot put my finger on it. Her father was cheerful and offered me a Red Horse. He wanted me to go with him tomorrow morning to register a car at about 6.00 am. The story went over my head. He had somehow acquired a car from the Mayor. Because he was poor. I said no thanks.....I saw no reason to go and I value my sleep. Another beer followed and then we were then taken home by motor tricycle .....The full 800 metres. His brother who drove us home then introduced me to this quaint Philippine custom. He told my lovely lady that they wanted 2 Red Horse to replace the ones I had been offered and drunk. I felt surprised and equally offended by that. The two they got tonight will probably be their last.

I got a mysterious call this evening. A guy wanted to deliver a document to me tomorrow morning and wanted to know if I will be in. No idea what that is. A notice to quit? Divorce papers? Hopefully something innocent. We shall see.

More tomorrow..... About a 45k mobile phone and rats that apparently will avenge a death to one of their brethren by invading the house and attacking the killer. And destroying all your personal clothing.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 11th 2017 at 10:12 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Still laughing! The delivery thing is quite common here. We get a fair few courier deliveries - documents, cheques, goods etc and the couriers always call or text to find out 1. If we will be in, 2.where we are and 3. If addressee not in then who is authorised to receive the package.
Loved the quaint custom re the Red Horse! Talk about trying to take advantage of a Kano. Her father probably wanted you to go with him so he could get you to pay for the registration, although, if he can afford the registration, how can he afford to run it as he is always saying he has no money?? Bet the Mayor owed him a favour and that's how he got the car.
So pleased Worm Boy is better. It must have cost you sleepless nights worrying about him.
Looking forward to the killer rats!
Thanks for the fun mate.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 11th 2017 at 10:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.