Local Elections

Old May 6th 2018, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Local Elections

Turning to wider matters here... how are they going in your necks of the woods?

Was surprised earlier this week to hear a different song from the normal local hip hop that breaks the peace most mornings from our small but occasionally terribly noisy neighbour over in the nearby barangay. After it was repeated a number of times I started to listen to it closely and to my displeasure worked out it was a campaign song for the, I think, owner there, coming out of speakers at the back of a parked owner jeep, I know his name and he's standing for the position of Barangay Captain.

Most times we just put up with their noise... if at night move to a bedroom at the other side of the house. But over the last two years have had altercations with him and other inhabitants about the volume of their sound system and Karaoke. On two of these instances I used, I think successfully as it was quiet for some time after, the threat of reporting them to.......yes, you've guessed it. The Barangay Captain!
Old May 6th 2018, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local Elections

Originally Posted by Raffin

Was surprised earlier this week to hear a different song from the normal local hip hop that breaks the peace most mornings from our small but occasionally terribly noisy neighbour over in the nearby barangay. After it was repeated a number of times I started to listen to it closely and to my displeasure worked out it was a campaign song for the, I think, owner there, coming out of speakers at the back of a parked owner jeep, I know his name and he's standing for the position of Barangay Captain.

Most times we just put up with their noise... if at night move to a bedroom at the other side of the house. But over the last two years have had altercations with him and other inhabitants about the volume of their sound system and Karaoke. On two of these instances I used, I think successfully as it was quiet for some time after, the threat of reporting them to.......yes, you've guessed it. The Barangay Captain!
You can always tell an election time here, open season on candidates, Friday night there was about 4 shot and last night a flurry of ambulance activity in the plaza where the candidates gather to buy votes.

WRT your karaoke problem, a bill is going through the house at the moment that will ban karaoke and loud speaker systems from residential areas. I have no problem where I live as if I think a party is getting too loud too late, I just set the dogs off howling and this sets the other dogs off in the area. Here they say that if you hear a dog howling some close will die, so the party packs up everyone flees home, I have even heard some asked to be assisted home despite them only living 50m away. Dogs get a treat and everyone ( at least in my house ) sleep well.
Old May 6th 2018, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn

WRT your karaoke problem, a bill is going through the house at the moment that will ban karaoke and loud speaker systems from residential areas. I have no problem where I live as if I think a party is getting too loud too late, I just set the dogs off howling and this sets the other dogs off in the area. Here they say that if you hear a dog howling some close will die, so the party packs up everyone flees home...
If a Karaoke law ever gets on the books here how will the entertainment media continue to get their never ending stream of talent show contestants? Aided by the gory pictures of injuries from hospital ERs, the firecracker ban seems to have worked, but people seem to either like or are willing to put up with high levels of other people's music. Widespread ignorance of the dangers of hearing loss, poor quality and interrupted sleep so unlikely to come about,

Unfortunately there is a constant,background barking coming from a large kennels not far away, so the locals are well used to that. I have toyed with just blasting them with my car horn...they don't have a car.

I also threatened my neighbour that I would complain to our subdivision office. He has done some painting here and there is strict regulation of the substantial numbers of construction workers coming in daily from the Barangay. But that might not work if he wins, as he will get a salary. Don't know how much, but I heard my wife's sister gets about P10k a month for only being a Kagawad.
Old May 6th 2018, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point

So far our Barangay elections have been very civilised with minimum fuss.
Last year we borrowed my brother-in-law's huge sound system, pointed it to the village and basically drowned them out for a week with Led Zeppelin, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Uriah Heep, Gregorian Chant, Opera, Bach, etc. They have not been nearly as noisy since :-)
Old May 6th 2018, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kompani101
So far our Barangay elections have been very civilised with minimum fuss.
Last year we borrowed my brother-in-law's huge sound system, pointed it to the village and basically drowned them out for a week with Led Zeppelin, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Uriah Heep, Gregorian Chant, Opera, Bach, etc. They have not been nearly as noisy since :-)
Not just the loudness. Robert Plant's vocals, interminable electronic music, Heep's Very 'Eavy Hammond ,Opera, Classical Music and Chants all over a week probably completely nonplussed them!
Old May 6th 2018, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Not just the loudness. Robert Plant's vocals, interminable electronic music, Heep's Very 'Eavy Hammond ,Opera, Classical Music and Chants all over a week probably completely nonplussed them!
A friend waited until his neighbour turned off his karaoke he then played the whole 2.5 hours of the Last Night of the Proms. Parties are apparently now held at his sisters house up the road.
Old May 6th 2018, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

expatuk2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would blast them with AC DCs Highway to Hell ! But sadly for me the Barangay Kapitans family are second cousins snd they live next door !
Old May 6th 2018, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by expatuk2017
I would blast them with AC DCs Highway to Hell ! But sadly for me the Barangay Kapitans family are second cousins snd they live next door !
My wife's cousin is the barangay Captain and I have threatened him with the police for murdering a song. When he just laughed I phoned my friend, chief of police, and told him there was free beer and Tanduay at my wife's cousins place. Luckily everyone saw the funny side
Old May 6th 2018, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by expatuk2017
I would blast them with AC DCs Highway to Hell !....
...and songs from Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Led Zep already mentioned, so they'd get a good grounding in ancient British rock/metal. Totally confuse with a continuous loop of Kraftwerk's Autobahn, full length version. Depress with some doom metal eg Paradise Lost.
Old May 7th 2018, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

I would add Rammstein to that list. A German industrial head banging....beat combo. Certainly scares the kids out of my house when I feel its time for them to go.

Back on local elections. I hear that 20 people have so far died in election related incidents.

Regards
Old May 7th 2018, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
I would add Rammstein to that list. A German industrial head banging....beat combo. Certainly scares the kids out of my house when I feel its time for them to go.

Back on local elections. I hear that 20 people have so far died in election related incidents.

Regards
Rammstein is one of those German bands who sing mostly in German. That's why I like Scorpions, their output is mostly in English. But I see from Wiki that Rammstein did score a No 1 in Germany in 2009 with a single entitled "Pussy"!

Going back to Kraftwerk's Autobahn it might also lead some to think that the "Build, build, build" infrastructure policy is really working fast in their neighbourhood!