Info on Quezon / Laguna

Old May 4th 2018, 8:32 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Info on Quezon / Laguna

There is a possibility that I shall be relocating (from Morocco) to Atimonan, Quezon province, for a couple of years. From what I can glean, the nearest two major cities are Lucena (about an hour away) and San Pablo City, Laguna province (about 2 ½ hours away).

I’m a seasoned expat, but have never been to Philippines. Can anyone give me a low down, either on those locations or Philippines generally? Main areas of interest are:

· Security
· Climate (looks to be warm and wet)
· Golf
· Food n drink
· Opportunites for R&R
· Potential difficulties

I’ve worked often with Filipinos, and they always seem to be pleasant and happy-go-lucky, at least when abroad – I imagine they’re much the same on their home turf. I also imagine they’re welcoming to open-hearted Brits …

I’m a middle-aged male and would be moving there on my own to work on a project near Atimonan.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old May 4th 2018, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on Quezon / Laguna

Atimonan is a place most pass by on a diversion road section of the South Road from Manila to S. Luzon and further. Just ended up in the town the once by accident...it looked OK. Plenty of trucks can be in your way on a hilly pass if heading from Atimonan to Lucena and San Pablo (so 1 hour could be a bit optimistic), unless you take the old "Zig Zag" road short cut.....and that's not a road I would like to take on a regular basis, however many locals are paid to waive their flags at you on its inclines and bends.

The Atimonan area has featured more than one mass shooting over recent years, but it's probably average for Quezon Province, which does seem to have significant levels of NPA activity compared with those Provinces nearer to Manila... and Quezon also seems to have plenty of accidents caused by poor road conditions.

One does pass by a number of coastal resorts going South to Gumaca, but we've never used any of them as we're always in a rush to go South.

Been in Lucena a few times, it's developing fast with Malls, Hospitals etc as is San Pablo.
Old May 4th 2018, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Security
· Climate (looks to be warm and wet)
· Golf
· Food n drink
· Opportunites for R&R
· Potential difficulties
As a seasoned expat
Security - In general no problem - if you are told anything check it out.
Climate - Yep, you have worked that one out.
Golf - you are on your own with that - no idea
Food n Drink - yes plenty, local markets full of fresh products, except Marmite, pork pies and Stilton. Tanduay 1854 very palatable spirit.
Opportunities for R&R - Plenty but please research where and who to show you round
Potential difficulties - as with any country always ask. Here the transport system, land, sea and air is somewhat antiquated..Have a look at the UK gov travel advisory at least this will give you a starter for 10.
Old May 4th 2018, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I drove through quick, never stopped, not even sure i saw it as i went through. As Raffin says its a small place on a main north /south link. Lucena is without a doubt up and coming, the provincial capital. You are based on the Pacific side of the province. the other side has some very nice quite white sand beaches.

What are you doing about getting transportation as you will need it to go anywhere?

I am sure your employer will be able to supply a detailed run down for the area including medical support facilities and accommodation. San Pablo would for me not be any choice to visit. Lucena is full of very old historic narrow streets and is for me quite a pretty place. Pagbilao half way to Lucena has a huge international time share style resort that will take private non member bookings. As for food, go local and be prepared for the worst in cuisine experience anywhere on the planet. You will have very limited options for anything decent.

Always remember that you are ''old enough to know better and young enough not to care'' and you will fit in nicely
Old May 7th 2018, 3:37 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, sounds interesting!

Transport will be my own car (prob 4x4) -- I like a challenge, and always drive rather than relying on local drivers (who may know the customs but rarely know how to drive).

I'll survive without Marmite, pork pies and Stilton -- at a push.
Old May 8th 2018, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Transport will be my own car (prob 4x4) -- I like a challenge, and always drive rather than relying on local drivers (who may know the customs but rarely know how to drive).

To drive you will need a local license after 3 months. To get that you will have to have an ACR card issued by immigration. what visa will you be arriving on? I suspect the nearest LTO will be Lucena, expect that an application process for a new applicant to take all day.

Bank accounts, you will need an ACR to open plus plenty of other ID and proof of residence with bills paid etc

You may get timely orders for UK food stuffs from:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/welshdel...718414310&rt=6

https://www.facebook.com/mikesimportedenglishgoods/
Old May 8th 2018, 6:40 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by mikemike
To drive you will need a local license after 3 months. To get that you will have to have an ACR card issued by immigration. what visa will you be arriving on? I suspect the nearest LTO will be Lucena, expect that an application process for a new applicant to take all day.

Bank accounts, you will need an ACR to open plus plenty of other ID and proof of residence with bills paid etc

You may get timely orders for UK food stuffs from:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/welshdel...718414310&rt=6

https://www.facebook.com/mikesimportedenglishgoods/
Thanks for that. These sound like formalities that may not be easy to follow in the early days of my tenure (the first 365 or so!). Like many countries, does the Philippines allow a <3 months stay, exit, then another <3 months stay, and so on? If so, could I get by on a UK IDP and without an ACR for, say, a year? I'm likely to be staying in accommodation rented by my employer, so won't have bills in my name ... I plan to have the minimum of bureaucratic intervention, with probably only a work permit / residence permit (no bank a/c, perhaps DL if not physically in exchange for my UK one).
Old May 8th 2018, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

You can renew the tourist via but not work on that visa

What visa has your employer applied for.

If you work on a tourist visa you may face deportation and black listing. The employer may have far more serious consequences.
Old May 8th 2018, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Saw Marmite and Vegimite in Rushons Gloryeta
Old May 8th 2018, 8:44 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by mikemike
You can renew the tourist via but not work on that visa

What visa has your employer applied for.

If you work on a tourist visa you may face deportation and black listing. The employer may have far more serious consequences.
We're a little way off applying for visas, I just want to be prepared. Thanks for the info.
Old May 8th 2018, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Also ensure that your employer has applied as they sometimes say they have when they haven't because it is expensive and time consuming.
Old May 10th 2018, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point

Stilton at one of our local deli's in Angeles but it costs a bomb so I stick to the mature cheddar.