Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Renewing Filipino passport in Los Angeles

Renewing Filipino passport in Los Angeles

Old May 26th 2018, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing Filipino passport in Los Angeles

Wifey (Philippines born) has neglected to renew her Filipino passport, we're travelling there in 6 weeks for a couple of weeks, and renewal apparently takes 10 weeks. I can't find any information on an expedited renewal except for an emergency (medical/death in family) which is limited to travel to PH only.

As she will have a US passport as well, can she enter PI without problem, albeit as a visitor rather than a citizen? Or is there an expedited method we've not found yet?

Another facet might be that she just gained US citizenship and has yet to reacquire Filipino citizenship. As I understand it, her Filipino passport became invalid when that happened. So would that actually help here, in that she can only travel on the US passport anyway? If so, then she can reacquire after returning.

Thanks.
Old May 26th 2018, 10:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Filipino passport in Los Angeles

I suspect that she won't be able to renew her passport as she would have lost her Philippine citizenship upon naturalisation as a US citizen.
Old May 27th 2018, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

I know of many who have both passports. I think that the best option is to try and obtain a new passport when you are in the land of 'Its more FUN' !
Old May 27th 2018, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Have u booked an on line passport renewal appointment at your local DFA office. take old passport plus application form with requirements spelled out and the fee. usually takes 3 weeks for passport to be released after this process is done.

The appointment slots are being filled in weeks ahead depending upon which DFA office you book....so book on line now!!
Old May 28th 2018, 12:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
I know of many who have both passports. I think that the best option is to try and obtain a new passport when you are in the land of 'Its more FUN' !
You can have both but the OP's wife will need to swear an oath of allegiance to the Philippines in order to reacquire her Philippine citizenship first. Agreed that she should sort this out in the Philippines.
Old May 28th 2018, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
Have u booked an on line passport renewal appointment at your local DFA office. take old passport plus application form with requirements spelled out and the fee. usually takes 3 weeks for passport to be released after this process is done.

The appointment slots are being filled in weeks ahead depending upon which DFA office you book....so book on line now!!
We went to the Consulate of the Philippines in Los Angeles which was where she said it'll take 10 weeks. Frankly she was very unhelpful as wifey tries to ask about the triple (!) citizenship and reacquiring Filipino. Just a jumbled collection of statements from her which didn't really tally.

I guess we'll just fly on her US or British passport. We're there for less than 2 weeks so duration is not a problem as long as she is admitted okay. There's a DFA office near where we're going.

Thanks.
Old May 29th 2018, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's Philippine passport is long expired, she has dual but just travels on her British passport. Never a problem.
Old May 29th 2018, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
My wife's Philippine passport is long expired, she has dual but just travels on her British passport. Never a problem.
Cool, thanks.