Amusing Notices

Old Jan 21st 2018, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amusing Notices

Seen painted in large black capitals on the side of a road near a police station in Manila:

NO PARKING ON BOTH SIDES EVEN POLICE

Any more?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amusing Notices

Originally Posted by Raffin
Seen painted in large black capitals on the side of a road near a police station in Manila:

NO PARKING ON BOTH SIDES EVEN POLICE

Any more?
Some of the road signs here crack me up. In Roxas City I have seen a sign saying "No parking between the signs", there was only one sign. In our village they put up a sign saying "ONE WAY ONLY", I mention to the mayor about the sign, he seemed very proud of it until I mentioned that it was unclear which way was one way. The next time I saw the sign in very small letters at the to of the sign was printed "No Entry". There is a village near Kalibo that the sign says "30Km/h Minimum", best I have managed is about 10Km/h. Another, in Kalibo, sign said "Use One Lane Only", I stopped and asked a policeman which one I should use, he, of course, was unable to advise which out of the two lanes I should use. Another in Kalibo says "Turn Left Only" unfortunately there is no road to the left the only turning from the road is to the right.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not the Philppines, but I've seen some funny ones in Malaysia.

At the breakfast buffet in a small hotel, the wording on the hand written signs under the various dishes changed according to which staff member was on.

Scrambled egg was variously described as Cramble Egg, Cream Egg, and my favourite, Screamable Egg.

A sign in a lift - restaurant close for make new. thank you for your kind understood.

Have to say though, their English was much better than my Bahasa Melayu!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 7:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

A funny one from when we were driving around Ireland. We were looking for a particular place, arrived at a t-junction and there were three signs with directional arrows for this place. One pointed left, one right, and the other pointed back down the way we'd just come
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live near Roxas City and do the Kalibo run every couple of months and the signage is atrocious, when there is any. Lanes of the road just end in a 600mm drop, no warning signs. I kept noticing concrete roadside distance markers with strange distances on them. A bit of research told me that all distances are measured from a single post in the centre of Manila, like the Romans used to do from Rome! The Philippines hasn't changed this system. I have noticed in the past 6 months huge new signs near the side of the road, often obscured, with the official highway number on it but they're not at or near road junctions or shown on road junction signs (another rarity).
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

There may well be more amusing notices around here, but in Filipino.

But one comes to my mind from a Hertfordshire Pub. Years ago a watery ditch close to its front door contained a rusty old style kettle attached to a chain fastened to a metal spike, to which was fixed a notice which read "Water 'Otter".

Health and safety regs led to its removal in recent times.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Saw one today in the supermarket "Lemons P30 each, pack of 4 only P133"
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:26 pm
LPR
Forum Regular

LPR is on a distinguished road

Must have been a branch of Tesco.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seen on the entrance gate to the large non Catholic cemetery in Roxas City;

PROMO PLOTS FOR SALE.

Perhaps buy one get one free?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

If not amusing these BOGOF notices can certainly be misleading. Recently a bakery had one above a tub of bread, 2 in each pack. We had a wasted conversation as to whether we could consume four.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 2:07 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I read of a motorist in Ireland who asked a policeman what the white line at the side of the road meant. He replied "That means there is no parkin' there a'tall." Asked what the double yellow on the other side of the road meant, he replied "That means there is no parkin' there a'tall, a'tall."
Old Feb 17th 2018, 4:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Staying at a small hotel in Italy a few years ago, I read the safety information posted on the back of the door in my room. It had various bits of information on fire safety and evacuation procedures, including guidance under the heading "When to warm the porter".
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

A friend sent me this NHS advice notice. Put a smile on my faceAmusing Notices-family-planning.jpg
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Saw one today in the supermarket "Lemons P30 each, pack of 4 only P133"
Originally Posted by LPR
Must have been a branch of Tesco.
Also applicable to Tesco Malaysia. New examples appear here on an almost weekly basis.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Grimly amusing job ad in The Times Educational Supplement some years ago:

CHAIR

HIGH VOLTAGE ENGINEERING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.