Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Well What a year so far

Well What a year so far

Old Jul 9th 2020, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Celticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud of
Default Well What a year so far

Hi All,

been a while since last update.

Got a few problems to share.............. Still have InLaws with us. came across from UK last November. Beginning of March we went on trip to Queenstown
a last holiday before planned return.

couple days in, FIL complaining of Indigestion that would not ease with Gaviscon, visit to Queenstown ED. Right, you have had a heart attack. following day 4 1/2 Ambulance
ride to Dunedin hospital. while there on 2 week waiting list for triple bypass op, he has 2 more minor attacks, mean time ive had to return the higher car to queenstown and then fly back
to Whangarei cause i cant afford to miss work.

so Mrs and MIL are hold up in Motel, FIL has his OP, 2nd day in ICU and LOCKDOWN Starts.

So hes isolaed from the World. those two are cooped up in Motel and im other side of country. when released from Hospital they spend 6 weeks down in Dunedin, managed to get on a Mercy Flight from Dunedin to Christchurch then 8 of the on an A320 Christchurch to Auckland.

I go down to pick them up from AKL Domestic Airport, got stopped by NZP on way home, lucky had Letter from GOVT.

withing week here in Whangarei, their insurance informs us, they are booked on a Repatriation Flight from ALK to Heathrow, did not know who was airline and they would have to pay $12000 for Business Class seats. return flights already booked and paid for before hand.

from Heathrow to North Wales by taxi that was over 6 hours long.
so now, hey are still here., wife is trying to contact Immigration to sort out extended Visitors Visas, More Money Medicals and xrays.

why the @@@@ cant they just get an extension without all this hassle. they want to go Home, but with the current conditions they are better off here, at least get another Summer in, as this
most probably be their last trip out here.

update when i get some news to share.

Ian.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well What a year so far

Sorry to hear that things are so complicated. travel is not easy - especially now as we live through what seem to be The End Times !
Old Jul 11th 2020, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey!!! You're defo having a mare of a year aye. Hopefully it'll only get better for you and the rellies.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 5:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Celticknight

why the @@@@ cant they just get an extension without all this hassle. they want to go Home, but with the current conditions they are better off here, at least get another Summer in, as this
most probably be their last trip out here.
Not sure what the visa extension hassle is. It should be OK. A young Thai friend here has her Mum still with her. She came out just after Xmas I think and then there was lockdown etc. She is still here with a visa extension and the visitor visa is more strict than the UK as it is for a 3 month period , not 6 months. I cannot quite remember but I think Mum will be here until end Aug now. I do recall her saying the price of flights to get Mum back to Thailand was silly money and unaffordable.

I totally and utterly agree Ian. This couple are far far better off being here in safe organised NZ right now rather than piecemeal muddled UK & I write that as someone who was bent on return this time next year.

Of course they just want their own beds and home however now is not the time & the fella will need more strength I feel for those back to back long hauls.

What a rotten horrible thing to happen all round, A double whammy for what was supposed to be a lovely time for you all. Have a cyber hug. So very worrying in a way that spoils the family being together.

Old Jul 11th 2020, 5:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scot47
Sorry to hear that things are so complicated. travel is not easy - especially now as we live through what seem to be The End Times !

I know and I agree. Me and himself have said much the same.