Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Our Kiwi Life So Far.......

Our Kiwi Life So Far.......

Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of
Smile Our Kiwi Life So Far.......

Well, we arrived here 7 months ago and I thought I’d post a little update of our experience so far......

Hubby arrived 5 weeks before us (me and 2 children 4 & 2) he managed to find us a lovely house to rent and all our stuff arrived in perfect time for when he got the keys to the rental and a week before we touched down in Auckland – he’d done a great job, everything was pretty much unpacked and in place when we got here.

It took us about a month to find a car which was a pain because the public transport just isn’t the best, especially with a pram!! Because we had never been here we totally never took into consideration just how old and battered the buses would be therefore to get on and off with a pram was near on impossible. Anyway we eventually found our car, I think it took us so long to find one was because of our budget it meant that we had to buy a car that was 10 years old, something that we had never done in the UK really.

We have found the cost of living similar to the UK, some things are more expensive and some things are cheaper, we would usually buy lots of fresh fruit and veg in the UK so we have obviously carried on buying the same sort of stuff but it’s just more seasonal here, I haven’t been buying peppers because they are about $3 each but as they are coming down in price I’ll be buying more of them. Fuel is cheaper here than the UK as is Car insurance, so as far as we are concerned it’s just swings and roundabouts but at the end of the day our outgoings are pretty similar.

Our children just love the lifestyle here, our eldest is at kindy and he just plays for the whole time he’s there which in my opinion is what a 4 year old should be doing!! Had we stayed in the UK he would be at full time school now.

We have barely made it out of the Auckland area because there just seems to be so so much stuff to do and most of it is free!!!!!!

I have met lots of new friends, Kiwis, British, South African and they are all very nice people!!!

We have the MIL coming out for 6 weeks over Christmas and my parents coming out for 6 weeks in January, then other friends/relatives coming later in the year, so we have lots to look forward to.

So far in our experience we are loving New Zealand and right now it is the place for us! You never know what the future holds but I can’t really see us ever moving back to the UK unless we HAVE to go!! I do miss my family and friends etc and it was hard going to start with not knowing anyone but as time has gone on I’ve met some great friends and we are all very happy here!

Have a great weekend
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Our Kiwi Life So Far.......

I am so pleased for you!
Its really nice when someone is happy!
Gald you have sorted out the swings and roundabouts!
We are hoping to make the move early next year, with a 10yr old and a 4 yr old, so it nice to have an ear on the ground doing what we hope to do!

Keep up the good work and good luck!

Anna
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our Kiwi Life So Far.......

Lovely post - hope it continues for you all!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the update, so great to hear that you are all settled - especially the children - enjoy the time with your family when they arrive
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

We've been here a similar time and feel just the way you do.

OUr friends are a mix of colleagues, expats and Kiwis - I've found people to be very welcoming and kind.

I read on this forum before I got here that Kiwis aren't welcoming, and that's just not my experience. Quite the opposite in fact!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Coleyheb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for a lovely update, glad you are settling in and happy with the move
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Good move Hope the ups continue for you & your family
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

It's always reassuring reading posts like this. As we are in the process of getting our Residential Visa, there is always the worry in the back of your mind that maybe living in NZ may not be what we hoped.

Good luck in the future.