one month in....

Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default one month in....

Well we have been here for a month now and so far so good. Its been a bit of a shock to the system but we may just be getting sorted!!! We found a nice house to rent, close to work and good schools, have brought an old car, finally got phone and internet sorted and just waiting for the container to arrive so home can look like a home!!! We thought we had done plenty of research but have had a shock with regard to the cost of some things Second hand cars are so much more expensive than we imagined, internet and phone is about 3 times UK prices and of course the lousy exchange rate hasn't helped. We have had to leave as much money as possible in the UK until things improve.

On the positive side, the weather has shown moments of promise The views in the Bays are stunning and everyone we have met have been so helpful and friendly. So not what you get back in Blighty!! Daughter has settled straight into school and made loads of friends. My work mates seem really nice although after 8 weeks off its been a tad difficult to get up in the morning. So far I wouldn't change a thing and apart from missing the people we left behind I am not missing the UK and have no desire to go back!!!

For those starting out on this journey, please research well so there are no shocks waiting for you, be prepared for lovely people and lovely scenery and hopefully soon, lovely weather......Bevissa
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice
Default Re: one month in....

We are a week behind you, Bevissa, and like you are settling in well. We had to spend a week in Auckland before heading down to our new home in Invercargill, so we've only had two weeks to set up home so far.

I researched my ass off, if you'll pardon the expression , and the cost of stuff still floored me. $1000 for a dehumidifier, $450 for a poxy little fan heater , and why is meat so expensive when we pass it in the field next to our house evey day! Oh, and rawhide dog chews - packs of 6 for $14 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually made lists of what we'd need to buy to keep us going til the container got here (yes, I am that anal) but you just can't plan for everything. Our rental is great, but is basically a traditional Kiwi shed, so we've had to buy lined curtains and draught insulation. I had no idea how much wood and coal would cost for our Yunca - bits and pieces keep adding up. My store won't be open til Christmas week, so no wage as yet either.

Still, we love it . Our dogs love it too - the space, the smells, the sleeping in our bed cos it's chuffin freezing

So I'd agree - newbies: plan and research... but expect stuff to shock the hell out of you anyway, bring everything you can cram into a container, then just go with the flow and enjoy it
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkkat75
We are a week behind you, Bevissa, and like you are settling in well. We had to spend a week in Auckland before heading down to our new home in Invercargill, so we've only had two weeks to set up home so far.

I researched my ass off, if you'll pardon the expression , and the cost of stuff still floored me. $1000 for a dehumidifier, $450 for a poxy little fan heater , and why is meat so expensive when we pass it in the field next to our house evey day! Oh, and rawhide dog chews - packs of 6 for $14 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually made lists of what we'd need to buy to keep us going til the container got here (yes, I am that anal) but you just can't plan for everything. Our rental is great, but is basically a traditional Kiwi shed, so we've had to buy lined curtains and draught insulation. I had no idea how much wood and coal would cost for our Yunca - bits and pieces keep adding up. My store won't be open til Christmas week, so no wage as yet either.

Still, we love it . Our dogs love it too - the space, the smells, the sleeping in our bed cos it's chuffin freezing

So I'd agree - newbies: plan and research... but expect stuff to shock the hell out of you anyway, bring everything you can cram into a container, then just go with the flow and enjoy it
That dehumidifier could be cheaper on trademe for those who have not bought yet. We got a $1000 model for $350. I spent too much aswell until I discovered trademe.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a consumer recommended de hunidifier for $260...reduced from 400. Recommend delonghi ones but don't have to be too flash

However in Invers you might need a hardcore one as they are designed to work at their optimum at ~20 Degrees
Makes sure that you get one that can tolerate low temps

Golden Rule
As anyone who's been here more than half a year will tell you
NEVER buy anything full price at briscoes!
as they WILL have a sale within the next fortnight...guaranteed

Shop around for internet and phone and ask for a deal...tell them what the others are offering

Cars...well I bought mine at an auction and you can get some good deals there. Much less security I guess but bargains to be had

Good Luck and welcome.....Bevissa....aren't you the (now ex) norfolk person????
There aren't too many of us here
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
That dehumidifier could be cheaper on trademe for those who have not bought yet. We got a $1000 model for $350. I spent too much aswell until I discovered trademe.
TradeMe - don't get me started - I am addicted! Got a bike, two lime green chests of drawers, some velcro, dog chews, and a doggy nail trimmer so far

Am watching a Mitsi dehumidifier now, but it's in Dunedin, a bit of a trek ...
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Bevissa, glad you like the North Shore. We do too. There is a good car auction place there and we got our car at auction. Have you been to Milford Shopping Centre yet? In a lovely position just yards from the beach.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Hi Pinkcat - I don't think making a list of what you need is anal at all - and would love a copy of it (bit cheeky I know ), as planning on sending stuff in advance of our container.

Any chance?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Well we have been here for a month now and so far so good. Its been a bit of a shock to the system but we may just be getting sorted!!! We found a nice house to rent, close to work and good schools, have brought an old car, finally got phone and internet sorted and just waiting for the container to arrive so home can look like a home!!! We thought we had done plenty of research but have had a shock with regard to the cost of some things Second hand cars are so much more expensive than we imagined, internet and phone is about 3 times UK prices and of course the lousy exchange rate hasn't helped. We have had to leave as much money as possible in the UK until things improve.

On the positive side, the weather has shown moments of promise The views in the Bays are stunning and everyone we have met have been so helpful and friendly. So not what you get back in Blighty!! Daughter has settled straight into school and made loads of friends. My work mates seem really nice although after 8 weeks off its been a tad difficult to get up in the morning. So far I wouldn't change a thing and apart from missing the people we left behind I am not missing the UK and have no desire to go back!!!

For those starting out on this journey, please research well so there are no shocks waiting for you, be prepared for lovely people and lovely scenery and hopefully soon, lovely weather......Bevissa
Glad you are settling in ok Bevissa!

Can't believe you've been there a month already - seems like only yesterday when you were posting your leaving message!

We're not far behind you now - flying out 12th Jan!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

TradeMe - don't get me started - I am addicted! Got a bike, two lime green chests of drawers, some velcro, dog chews, and a doggy nail trimmer so far

Am watching a Mitsi dehumidifier now, but it's in Dunedin, a bit of a trek ...
More questions... Why do you need a dehumidifier? (haven't one in UK so just wondering if one is necessary in NZ?)
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cadibel
More questions... Why do you need a dehumidifier? (haven't one in UK so just wondering if one is necessary in NZ?)
Depends where you're headed in NZ - do a "dehumidifier" search on this forum and you'll find a load of reasons. Traditional NZ housing at the bottom of the South Island definitely requires a dehumidifier .

I used one in the UK when we lived in a damp flat with condensation problems, but I found it so useful for raising the ambient temperature in winter, and drying clothes, that I've used one ever since. They are particularly relevant over here, tho.

My shopping list had a lot of stuff on it for our dogs' day-to-day needs - probably not relevant for you? I will dig it out and edit it, and PM you

Last edited by Pinkkat75; Nov 9th 2009 at 6:48 pm. Reason: shocking spelling
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:01 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevissa65

Hey there ...good to hear you're settling in ok.! enjoy!!!
B x
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Depends where you're headed in NZ - do a "dehumidifier" search on this forum and you'll find a load of reasons. Traditional NZ housing at the bottom of the South Island definitely requires a dehumidifier .

I used one in the UK when we lived in a damp flat with condensation problems, but I found it so useful for raising the ambient temperature in winter, and drying clothes, that I've used one ever since. They are particularly relevant over here, tho.

My shopping list had a lot of stuff on it for our dogs' day-to-day needs - probably not relevant for you? I will dig it out and edit it, and PM you
Cheers! We're going to Auckland - do you think we'll need one there?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:05 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi...good to hear you & your dogs are enjoying your new life ....even being chuffin freezing!!!
Enjoy!!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Search on the forum, see what comes up. Might depend on the type of house you end up in
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bevissa!

glad you arrived ok, and are enjoying the Kiwi way, we are still in Norwich and you have definitely gone to a better place.

we went to asda last week and OMG :curse:! it is hell on earth! you know what i mean???? it was jammed packed with probably the entire population of NZ! they ram the trolleys at you, and kids are screaming, people pushing past you, and thats just the car park!

and as for the traffic, dont get me started, such selfish drivers and just the sheer volume is horrendous.

we so cant bear it, and are just wishing the days away till we come for a visit for a whole month in may!

so just remember how bad, full and crammed Norwich is, and i think anywhere is better!

Anna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.