one month in....

Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one month in....

Originally Posted by Cadibel
More questions... Why do you need a dehumidifier? (haven't one in UK so just wondering if one is necessary in NZ?)
Our house is a newer build and is almost 100% draught free. Not so good when you consider there are 5 humans and 2 cats all giving off litres of water breathing. Add to that cooking, washing, showering, bathing et al and you have a huge build up of water moisture that is contained in your home.

They reckon the average family gives off about 30 litres a day. Add to ALL that the fact that we live in a very damp area of NZ (the moisture has nowhere to go often even with open windows!!).

That's why I run 4-5 during the winter but only over night. They do a wonderful job and our house is lovely and dry. When we moved in it was quite damp as the previous owners NEVER used dehumidifiers.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are all settling in nicely, we have been here nearly 3 months now, and time has just flown
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Genesis
Our house is a newer build and is almost 100% draught free. Not so good when you consider there are 5 humans and 2 cats all giving off litres of water breathing. Add to that cooking, washing, showering, bathing et al and you have a huge build up of water moisture that is contained in your home.

They reckon the average family gives off about 30 litres a day. Add to ALL that the fact that we live in a very damp area of NZ (the moisture has nowhere to go often even with open windows!!).

That's why I run 4-5 during the winter but only over night. They do a wonderful job and our house is lovely and dry. When we moved in it was quite damp as the previous owners NEVER used dehumidifiers.
Ok, I'm convinced! Think some shopping for dehumidifiers is called for!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

EErrggh ! Many more posts on de-humidifiers and I'll have to split the posts out to a thread of their own as this is an Update thread.

It really will depend on the house as to whether or not you need a de-humidifier. We could do with one in this house as it is 30 yrs old, single glazing etc.
Friends of ours built their house and don't need one at all.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Bevissa, glad you like the North Shore. We do too. There is a good car auction place there and we got our car at auction. Have you been to Milford Shopping Centre yet? In a lovely position just yards from the beach.
Hi, Yes we have found Milford shopping centre!!! Coffee Club does a pretty good "pie & Chips" for $10!! We got a car from a friend of a friend, think it was a reasonable deal considering in UK it would get scrap value but it runs well, pretty good on fuel and as I'm a scaredy cat, manual!!!! Bevissa
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cadibel
Glad you are settling in ok Bevissa!

Can't believe you've been there a month already - seems like only yesterday when you were posting your leaving message!

We're not far behind you now - flying out 12th Jan!
You should be flying into glorious weather by then!! What a lovely time of the year to arrive, when its so cold in UK!!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Anna, I so don't envy you.. Not missing Norwich at all. Sometimes I think it would be nice to wander around and know where you're going. We spend our time with map firmly in hand But then I look at the views we have along the Bays and firmly believe there is no more beautiful place in God's world. So much space and big, big sky. I Know the time will come when homesickness hits us but hope we are able to ride out the bad times. Cannot imagine having to return to UK....Count down the weeks until your hol!! Bev xx
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:16 am

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

pinkkat75 if you want to bid on that 'dehu' in dunedin then we would be happy to collect it for you and store it untill you drive through here.

I realise you dont know us from a hole in the wall but some on here might vouch for us and I run a heat pump company here www.hpso.co.nz so you could find me easy

just thought id offer.

why Invers?

cheers

george
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:09 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Bevissa that's absolutely brilliant, I am so happy for you! I hope you find everything you hoped for in your new life in New Zealand defo keep us updated! Best of luck and wishing you the very best
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by george toni
pinkkat75 if you want to bid on that 'dehu' in dunedin then we would be happy to collect it for you and store it untill you drive through here.

I realise you dont know us from a hole in the wall but some on here might vouch for us and I run a heat pump company here www.hpso.co.nz so you could find me easy

just thought id offer.

why Invers?

cheers

george

I'll vouch for him. ....................

.........he is a hole in the wall...................

Actually. I really can vouch for him . George is straight up.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it's all coming together Bevissa. I was wondering how you were getting on. How's the job going, early days I know.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Glad it's all coming together Bevissa. I was wondering how you were getting on. How's the job going, early days I know.
Hi, well I've done 3 days so far and the staff seem really nice and they seem to care whether I'm settling in. The ward is completely different to UK and as I've only been qualified 19 months its going to take me ages to unlearn how I used to work and relearn it all here!!! Still, the ward is not as manic as the one I left so at least thats a bonus. Not keen on the idea of doing 5 short days as I've done long shifts for the last 22 years and throughly enjoy having 4 days off a week. But as we don't have any help with child care here, it might be easier to do the short days until my daughter is old enough to be at home alone. They also use different abbr's which has caused some confusion for all of us!! So far, so good. Will let you know. Love, Beverley xx
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:43 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

All this dehumidifer stuff really surprises me as I grew up in NZ and we never heard of the things! I'm really not surprised the previous owners never had one. I thought they were some newish device for people with medical conditions or that!!

Come to think of it, it wasn't till a recent visit to NZ that I realised what the hell a heat pump was either!! We never had them either...we had heaters (elec fires u call 'em) and the old kero heaters u had to put the halfG of kero in the back and light the wick hehe..the good ol' days .Stunk like crap tho

Last edited by kiwi_child; Nov 12th 2009 at 4:46 am. Reason: additional comment
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:53 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Hi, Yes we have found Milford shopping centre!!! Coffee Club does a pretty good "pie & Chips" for $10!!
My God That sounds too much money. Best be damn good pies n real chips for that price! Actually if you fancy a really good pie ( I always make a point of going when I'm in Akl), go to Commercial rd, Helensville and grab a pie from Mr Bons and one from Kaipara bakery. Both do exceptional pies, well worth the trip, and you can always go for a dip in the hot pools in Parakai ( few mins drive away) while you're there

When I was last there (April 09) the pies cost $2.50 -$2.80 depending on what ones you bought. In OZ can pay around $5 a pie and they're mainly crap most places.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Nov 12th 2009 at 4:55 am. Reason: forgot prices
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
My God That sounds too much money. Best be damn good pies n real chips for that price! Actually if you fancy a really good pie ( I always make a point of going when I'm in Akl), go to Commercial rd, Helensville and grab a pie from Mr Bons and one from Kaipara bakery. Both do exceptional pies, well worth the trip, and you can always go for a dip in the hot pools in Parakai ( few mins drive away) while you're there

When I was last there (April 09) the pies cost $2.50 -$2.80 depending on what ones you bought. In OZ can pay around $5 a pie and they're mainly crap most places.
We thought that was cheap We shall give the ones you mentioned a try when we get out and about. Thanks for that Bevissa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.