Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

6 months in and trying to see some positives

6 months in and trying to see some positives

Old May 28th 2014, 9:58 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months in and trying to see some positives

Originally Posted by sazzle1979
Thanks All

Still off to Akaroa for the weekend to celebrate our first wedding anniversary ! wahooooooo a cottage with a log burner!
We're off to Lake Taupo to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Hope you have a good time in Akaroa. I liked it when we visited.

We live in Wanganui. Started our life in NZ in Christchurch in Feb 2011. Things didn't work out for us which is why we bailed out to........Wanganui. It's a nice little town, but it has it's limitations. My husband is the sole earner. I've got a temporary job until October which involves a 100 mile round trip to the nearby town of Palmerston North and back as that's where the office is.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 28th 2014 at 10:00 am. Reason: Happy Days
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:22 am
Just Joined

homesik is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont laugh. I am 61 been here 50 years and still want to go home , too many changes here too much American influence on the children particularly maori kids. too much attitude and it is everyone for themselves. NZ used to be a most welcoming country in the 60s and a damn sight warmer. The Maoris were the most happy go lucky people you could ever meet. No gangs no racism it was a truly great place and neighbors helped neighbors and everyone had a job and stay at home mums were the norm....I never thought I would be saying "Those were the days"
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:54 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be kinder to yourself. There are no rules to say that you must love the place that you move to. NZ is not for everyone. When I read your post it took me back to the way I felt when I lived there. You have got to do what makes you and your family happy. I don't regret moving to NZ or moving back home. Lessons learnt from both countries. Hope you get sorted soon. Xx
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

I (Luke) can sympathise as well with you, the move, the re-establishement and almost reinventing yourself as a person can be a struggle.
The secret for us is to embrace what we have, we knew living in NZ wont be forever and wont be with a return to the UK in April next year.
4 years it will be and we will have memories and experiences to look back on.

Your emotions won't get any better, they will just eat away at you each day. Best to make a decision sooner rather than later...
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:20 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Luke. We only stayed a year because my feelings didn't change. It was eating me up. There is a fine line between settling in feelings and being really unhappy with the choice you've made. Making a decision soon will make the return home easier if that's what you decide. Good luck with everything. Xxx
Old Aug 31st 2014, 7:42 pm
Pilottinker

pilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to behold

I was terribly unhappy when we first got here. It was almost as if our Landlord hunted us down to keep her house warm whilst it was up for sale, and we were expected to quit it ( family of five ) every weekend for viewers to look at our furniture. We were so cold we walked around with blankets like Superman capes. The job opportunity for me was dire so we jumped towns to Dunedin and bought a most fabulous house, warm, with beautiful views. Rental market is a whole different ball game to owning a property, and it depends where you are. Dunedin is a friendly town, but it can't be unique so if you are young move around a bit. Good Luck and let us know how you get on
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pilottinker
I was terribly unhappy when we first got here. It was almost as if our Landlord hunted us down to keep her house warm whilst it was up for sale, and we were expected to quit it ( family of five ) every weekend for viewers to look at our furniture. We were so cold we walked around with blankets like Superman capes.
Yeah owning your own home definitely helps you feel more settled, we'd never really rented in the UK so renting felt very awkward, buying our house in Dunedin certainly helped us settle more.

Saying that....... we are both still homesick!!!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 6:41 am
Looking for my marbles.

What are your plans for the future barnsleymat? We visited Dunedin just before we flew back home. You have some lovely beaches and I must say that the locals were a lot more friendlier than those in Auckland. Felt more down to earth there.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
What are your plans for the future barnsleymat? We visited Dunedin just before we flew back home. You have some lovely beaches and I must say that the locals were a lot more friendlier than those in Auckland. Felt more down to earth there.
Yeah it's a friendly town and does have some beautiful beaches, the main problem for us is after a couple of years we're a bit bored, I don't think it's solely problem of being in Dunedin, it's probably just magnified the problem a bit more. We don't see our long terms futures in Dunedin or NZ, we're slowly going mad and we know we need to eventually get out, I miss civilisation and all it's trappings too much to hide away from life at the end of the world.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:31 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Yeah it's a friendly town and does have some beautiful beaches, the main problem for us is after a couple of years we're a bit bored, I don't think it's solely problem of being in (Wanganui), it's probably just magnified the problem a bit more. We don't see our long terms futures in (Wanganui) or NZ, we're slowly going mad and we know we need to eventually get out, I miss civilisation and all it's trappings too much to hide away from life at the end of the world.
Couldn't agree more, Matt
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yeah it's a friendly town and does have some beautiful beaches, the main problem for us is after a couple of years we're a bit bored, I don't think it's solely problem of being in Dunedin, it's probably just magnified the problem a bit more. We don't see our long terms futures in Dunedin or NZ, we're slowly going mad and we know we need to eventually get out, I miss civilization and all it's trappings too much to hide away from life at the end of the world.
I can relate to this.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's a friendly town and does have some beautiful beaches, the main problem for us is after a couple of years we're a bit bored, I don't think it's solely problem of being in Dunedin, it's probably just magnified the problem a bit more. We don't see our long terms futures in Dunedin or NZ, we're slowly going mad and we know we need to eventually get out, I miss civilisation and all it's trappings too much to hide away from life at the end of the world.
Not in NZ but this resonates with me, as well
Old Sep 6th 2014, 5:53 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Me too...
Old Sep 8th 2014, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I felt that way in Timaru but not in Christchurch. I think maybe it's because Christchurch is in constant flux and change (and significantly bigger). I understand why people would miss the bustle of Europe and the closeness to everything but I don't think NZ lacks culture or civilisation it just might not express itself in the same way or be as easily accessible. Of course as with everything, this is my opinion and YMMV
Old Oct 12th 2014, 7:32 am
Just Joined

pomikiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope things get easier for you. I agree housing in NZ can be shocking. Cold and so damp. We're in Northland and built a new house 2 years ago, we have no heating at all, just double glazing an insulation but the difference from the cold damp 1070's weather board houses is amazing. We're so toasty warm now. And for those rainy winter days we just pull out the oil heater or do some baking and crank the oven.

I have never found NZ'ers to be rude though? I've always found them friendly and down to earth. Maybe i've been lucky? I've fond the health system great and so far i'm happy with my kids primary schooling but I didn't have my kids in the UK so cant really compare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.