magwa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3+ years in and missing blighty

I hear ya!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

mrsmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kshurey
Me and kiwi wife moved to nelson Jan 2007, after 18 months realised it wasn't for us. Like a lot of NZ it is cliquey, and remote, not to say expensive.

We now live at Snells Beach about an hour north of Auckland. Beautiful spot great neighbours and for us probably as good as it gets. So why am I bored and frustrated with life here ?

Trying to start a business is much more difficult than the UK, trying to open biz accounts with companies is like pulling teeth.

People NEVER respond to phone messages or emails.

If people are putting a few bucks in your pocket they seem to think that you are their bonded slave !

The food and construction industries are each run by 2 cartels who fix prices across the board I've encountered 900 % mark ups on building materials personally !

Roads are frequented by morons who can't drive but think they can.

The media seem to be in the pockets of big buisness therefore none of the above is ever broached by the likes of 'Fair Go' instead they go for the small fry.

House construction - what a joke, they sell glorified garden sheds for 6 figure sums and they cany even keep the rain out !

Leaky homes - came about because of the greed of big biz and the ineptitude of government - of course everyone is denying responsibility in true kiwi fashion.

Sport - very popular, because there's bugger all else to do !!

Insurance companies - excellent at taking your money and finding ways of not paying out on claims.

Customer service - an alien concept here.

Clean Green NZ - total bulls**t, if there's a buck to be made then it WILL be made just see what happens with the mining.

Fishing - stocks are rapidly decreasing so get out there while you can !

Pig hunting - it's what the hillbillies do when they've run out of relatives to beat up or rape.

Domestic violence - NZ is up there with the best of em.

All Blacks - how can the best in the world never win the world championship ?

I know I sound negative but I've found NZ to be like a dumb blonde, great to look at but very little else.

I'm giving it 2 more years, if it doesn't improve for us then its back to the traffic jams, bombers and civilisation !

Seems you have made it to the Trade Me discussion boards lol

[url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard

Last edited by Am Loolah; Sep 7th 2010 at 9:38 pm. Reason: Direct link to another sites content removed
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 3+ years in and missing blighty

life is strange we are now back in NZ its not perfect but its the best for us at present there is expensive areas in both countries my line of work as an accountant in Health in the UK is now impossible to get a role and 6/7 months out of work as the main bread winner has taken a serious dent in our finances.
The UK is very poorly at present and will I think get worse maybe a double recession with no work and living of house deposit savings I was not entittled to any benefits but how much longer could we go on! My son was bullied at school and all the reasons we went back did not pan out, So we have decided to try again in a different location and look with fresh eyes, yes housing can be poor here yes a lot of the same but a great deal higher proportion of detached housing compared to the UK, New houses in the UK at not always wonderful too, you only have to watch homes from hell to see that! The sections for new houses in the UK are postage stamos so what is the complaining about.
Auckland has more historic buildings than Wellington but as the OP said it is a newer country, There is a more outdoor life equivlaent to the med where in the UK can you sit out in mid winter in a light top enjoying a coffee! yes we have rain but i would rather that than snow that the country grinds to a halt, we also need it!
there is good and bad in both and its a case of enjoying life where ever you are!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
life is strange we are now back in NZ its not perfect but its the best for us at present there is expensive areas in both countries my line of work as an accountant in Health in the UK is now impossible to get a role and 6/7 months out of work as the main bread winner has taken a serious dent in our finances.
The UK is very poorly at present and will I think get worse maybe a double recession with no work and living of house deposit savings I was not entittled to any benefits but how much longer could we go on! My son was bullied at school and all the reasons we went back did not pan out, So we have decided to try again in a different location and look with fresh eyes, yes housing can be poor here yes a lot of the same but a great deal higher proportion of detached housing compared to the UK, New houses in the UK at not always wonderful too, you only have to watch homes from hell to see that! The sections for new houses in the UK are postage stamos so what is the complaining about.
Auckland has more historic buildings than Wellington but as the OP said it is a newer country, There is a more outdoor life equivlaent to the med where in the UK can you sit out in mid winter in a light top enjoying a coffee! yes we have rain but i would rather that than snow that the country grinds to a halt, we also need it!
there is good and bad in both and its a case of enjoying life where ever you are!
Hi, I guess things must have been really bad in the Uk for you guys to return?? I remember before you left and after leaving you posting how bad you thought NZ was. May I ask why you did not consider Oz? I sometimes really get pissed off with this little country and can see how the grass is greener elsewhere. However I do also think that Nz has many positive points (and many negative ones) and I guess the trick is to ensure the positive bank balance outweighs the negative one. Good luck for your return here. PS sorry to hear your son was bullied, mine too here in his 1st school. I know a lot about bullying as I suffered it for many years in the police. Bullies are basically cowardly, pathetic, insecure wankers..me bitter? Nah.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 3+ years in and missing blighty

Things are bad in the UK not sure OZ would be for us, Canada maybe but we decied to give it another go we still had valid visas etc. Just reading another thread jobs for kiwis I sympathise with th OP however jobs even in Tescos etc were hard to come by in the UK I tried every job within a 20 mile radius for pocket mney but one look at my CV 'Director of' and not even an interview. With money tight life is hard in the UK, did not want to take on voluntary work just in case something was round the corner! my new role here pays well so here to give it a go!
As for NZ we are in a different area a different mindset, a close relative was diagnosed with terminal cancer why we were in the UK the same cancer as my mum 11 years ago this highlighted to me that we have to go for it life is too short!