Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

3+ years in and missing blighty

3+ years in and missing blighty

Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:59 am
Account Closed

kshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3+ years in and missing blighty

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Thanks! But no luck was involved. We were specific about what we wanted & didn't stop until we found it (private sale in the end). However, I did say to all the real estate agents that I would sue the pants off them if they so much as showed us a leaky home

On a more serious note. I understand some of your frustrations with life in NZ & I'm sorry that it's not panning out for you. The first time we came out here I hated it & lasted 3 months! I just wondered why you were giving it another couple of years. I'm guessing citizenship. I can't see how it's going to change for you & if you're not happy that's a hell of a long time to wait. Those 3 months were the longest in my life.

Just wondering if we share a mutual friend in Singapore called Lisa. Long-shot I know.
I'm giving it more time because in my heart of hearts I know life here is better, I also have a kiwi wife who wants to stay !!
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

Sorry you are not happy here. Ive been here 15 years and still dont like it. The more i see of UK on tv the more homesick i get. Visited there 3 years ago and could happily have stayed. 15 years of crap NZ wages make that difficult though.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kshurey
I know I sound negative
That is the understatement of the century!

Old Jun 14th 2010, 5:30 am
Account Closed

kshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
That is the understatement of the century!

Why bother with a bullshit reply like that ?
Old Jun 14th 2010, 5:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you feeling any happier? Hope so, though NZ is not the greatest place at this time of year. Have to admit that I'm feeling a little homesick at present, though I know I will pull through. Probably in September!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Why bother with a < > reply like that ?
Why indeed. If it's any consolation, your thread wasn't the only one to be suddenly resurrected from the depths in this unhelpful way.

Here is a timely reminder that BE has two facilities.
1- The Ignore Button
2- A useful report button.

Mod note for billabongbunyip

Whilst you are welcome to join us all here & post about your time and experience in NZ , it is not going to be OK for you to adopt a hit and run method of resurrecting old threads just to plonk down abrasive one liners .

KShurey and englishheaven

I'll echo Vital Big Sticks post and hope you are both feeling a wee bit happier at present.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Why bother with a bullshit reply like that ?

Because it is more polite than what I could say about such an all out whiny negative whinge from the OP.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Why indeed. If it's any consolation, your thread wasn't the only one to be suddenly resurrected from the depths in this unhelpful way.
The last post on this subject was on 4th May, my reply was on 14th June – one month is hardly old surely!!!

And I was making a joke.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This is the NZ main forum and not the OZ Barbie . Please take some time to reflect on your post style and maybe refresh yourself of the BE rules.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:15 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janeyk
I read this thread with interest, we escaped NZ in Jan I did have a good job but can agree with everything you all have said,

UK is home its not perfect but by god we do not appreciate what its got enough we as a country do not sing its praises enough, ok the weather is not always wonderful but I do not want it hot when I work and then appalling at weekends which is what it was like for the last 5 months we were in NZ, I got fed up of going to the cinema!

For sun I can fly short distance low cost to the Med and enjoy, I can enjoy far more culture and history I can have choice here to
still no job yet but we will get there good luck anyone returning!
Hi janeyk where abouts in Cornwall are you living?Me and my family have lived in NZ for over 6 years and have had enough of the poor wages,bad over priced houses e.t.c and have decided to move to Cornwall or Devon.My husband is a carpenter is there many jobs at the moment for carpenters?Also what is the good and bad areas of Cornwall and Devon?Any information would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards Faye
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We are living on the Devon/Cornwall border, Bad places to live far west of Cornwall, St Keyne, Torpoint also anywhere near the A30 that you can not move on SAturdays! in high season.
It seems the world and his dog has set up in business to make money sincve I have returned, I started selling Phoenix cards not that I would make loads, but went to the local school fiar on Saturday to have a stool to find 2 other traders already set up, I gave up and went home as I was not prepared to pay £8 for the privalidge! Since we left in 2008 and returned 2010 the world and his dog has moved to Cornwall from other over crowed areas such as NW, Crawley the midlands lots strated property mainentance , cleaning businesses also continued to push house prices up and there is very little to rent in this are think long and har dbefore you return.
DEvon is nice although has some expensive pockets such as around Exeter, and the South Hams.
Be prepared to fill up the petrol tank at least twice a week, go miles for milk etc and be ripped off for parking Petrol is now £1.20 per litre diseal slightly less
other than that beautiful!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fayemd
Hi janeyk where abouts in Cornwall are you living?Me and my family have lived in NZ for over 6 years and have had enough of the poor wages,bad over priced houses e.t.c and have decided to move to Cornwall or Devon.My husband is a carpenter is there many jobs at the moment for carpenters?Also what is the good and bad areas of Cornwall and Devon?Any information would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards Faye
Welcome home you will find very expensive housing rocketing fuel prices rocketing grocery prices poor schooling and uncontrolled influx of eastern european unskilled labour

Let the good times roll
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:01 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fayemd
Kind Regards Faye
I'd say South Hams too, if you can afford it.

Last time I was in Britain I stayed with a cousin who lives near Freshwater West (the beach where the recent Robin Hood film was shot) It's a beautiful corner of the UK and often overlooked in the rush for the South West. That would be my other choice - it has marvelous countryside, rugged coastline and beautiful beaches. relaxed lifestyle. The "little England beyond Wales" it used to be called
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

mrsmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and kiwi wife moved to nelson Jan 2007, after 18 months realised it wasn't for us. Like a lot of NZ it is cliquey, and remote, not to say expensive.

We now live at Snells Beach about an hour north of Auckland. Beautiful spot great neighbours and for us probably as good as it gets. So why am I bored and frustrated with life here ?

Trying to start a business is much more difficult than the UK, trying to open biz accounts with companies is like pulling teeth.

People NEVER respond to phone messages or emails.

If people are putting a few bucks in your pocket they seem to think that you are their bonded slave !

The food and construction industries are each run by 2 cartels who fix prices across the board I've encountered 900 % mark ups on building materials personally !

Roads are frequented by morons who can't drive but think they can.

The media seem to be in the pockets of big buisness therefore none of the above is ever broached by the likes of 'Fair Go' instead they go for the small fry.

House construction - what a joke, they sell glorified garden sheds for 6 figure sums and they cany even keep the rain out !

Leaky homes - came about because of the greed of big biz and the ineptitude of government - of course everyone is denying responsibility in true kiwi fashion.

Sport - very popular, because there's bugger all else to do !!

Insurance companies - excellent at taking your money and finding ways of not paying out on claims.

Customer service - an alien concept here.

Clean Green NZ - total bulls**t, if there's a buck to be made then it WILL be made just see what happens with the mining.

Fishing - stocks are rapidly decreasing so get out there while you can !

Pig hunting - it's what the hillbillies do when they've run out of relatives to beat up or rape.

Domestic violence - NZ is up there with the best of em.

All Blacks - how can the best in the world never win the world championship ?

I know I sound negative but I've found NZ to be like a dumb blonde, great to look at but very little else.

I'm giving it 2 more years, if it doesn't improve for us then its back to the traffic jams, bombers and civilisation !
Having been here just over 9 years - I have to agree with the majority of your thoughts and experiences (we're in Red Beach). Thinking of a trip back to UK to check things out before we decide for good - we have issues that I'm an only child with parents in UK not getting any younger, but also now have 2 teens here one of whom has just started a 2 year course at Unitec - a mere 2 bus and a train ride away in Mt Albert lol and another about to leave school hmmmm (who won't be so keen to leave their friends etc behind now) *sigh*

We were from Eastbourne on south coast originally and while it has been safer for the kids growing up etc - I do feel there is a lack of opportunity for youngsters here (which is why most leave on a big OE!).

I do get frustrated with the cost of travelling just within NZ itself - very expensive to fly to S Island - or even locally, as we found out last week end when it cost more than $1000 for hubby to take the 3 kids (drove down to Mt Ruapehu), stayed in grotty but expensive motel for two nights, petrol, food etc etc...

Ah well - like you, another 2 years - and we'll see....
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

mrsmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Are you feeling any happier? Hope so, though NZ is not the greatest place at this time of year. Have to admit that I'm feeling a little homesick at present, though I know I will pull through. Probably in September!
Gulf Harbour - we are neighbours!!! Red Beach here! Totara Views Moved to Gulf Harbour when we first arrived in NZ - used to drive from GH to Greenlane each day (groan) lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.