Working in Singapore, living in JB

Old Jan 19th 2014, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Singmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Singapore, living in JB

Hi Octonauts,

Sorry, regarding the financing for car, you may not need MM2H or Malaysian EP..! I must have mistaken it with some other things that required these visas.. You might simply want to check with the car dealers what the requirements are. Hope all goes well!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Octonauts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Singmom
Hi Octonauts,

I am assuming your husband is an EP holder in Singapore, and you have DP? If that is the case, then...

1. What passes do you need in order to commute from JB to Singapore, and how best to acquire them ? Any advice on trusteed agency ?
- You can apply for MACS in Malaysia. With MACS, you don't need to stamp your passport each time you go through Malaysian immigration and border crossing is easy. If your son will go to MCM, the school will issue you a letter to Malaysian immigration for your him to get MACS, and parents can also apply. You can get it at Malaysian immigration office in JB or Nusajaya.

2. Can you transfer your Indonesian domestic helper from Singapore to Malaysia, and what is the process to do so?
- You can hire a maid legally in Malaysia only if you have MM2H or employment visa in Malaysia. While many people bring their Singapore maids to JB/Nusajaya under Singapore WP, if your address is not in Singapore, MOM doesn't allow you to keep your maid under Singapore WP.

3. Can you hire a car that you can drive in both Singapore and Malaysia?
- You can hire a private taxi service that would drive you back and forth Singapore and Malaysia. It is quite expensive, thought, about $70 single trip.

4. How can you buy / hire a Malaysian car? Can you get finance on a Malaysian car? Can I as dependen pass ( singapore driving license drive Malaysia car to singapore ?)
- If you are an EP holder, yes, you can buy Malaysian car and drive it into Singapore, provided that you are the registered owner of the car. You just need to get an Autopass at Woodlands or Tuas to drive your Malaysian car into Singapore. But if you are PR or Singaporean citizen, you can't. On LTA website, it says that DP holder is not allowed to drive a Malaysian car into Singapore, but my friend didn't have any problem so far. However, I can't guarantee you won't be questioned.

As for financing, I believe Malaysian banks require that you either have MM2H or business visa such as EP to apply for car loans.

Hope this helps, and good luck moving!

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for your help and very very useful information. Your straight forward answer are excellent !!!! THANK YOU
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Singmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octonauts
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for your help and very very useful information. Your straight forward answer are excellent !!!! THANK YOU
Hi Octonauts,

You're welcome! I know there can be so many uncertainties and worries to do this "live in Johor, work in Singapore" thing. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions...!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

bellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all.

Can someone give me some visa advice please.
My daughter will be attending school so I can get the guardian visa and MACS pass. But I have a business in Sing and will commute 3-4 times a week, and I (apparently) can get a EP or EntrePass. What's the diff? Do I need both My and Sg visas, or which is best? I am looking at leasing a car or possibly buying (what ever works out best).

Is that clear as mud? Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thanking you
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

resident kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bellynbella
Hi all.

Can someone give me some visa advice please.
My daughter will be attending school so I can get the guardian visa and MACS pass. But I have a business in Sing and will commute 3-4 times a week, and I (apparently) can get a EP or EntrePass. What's the diff? Do I need both My and Sg visas, or which is best? I am looking at leasing a car or possibly buying (what ever works out best).

Is that clear as mud? Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thanking you
Hi, BnB.
If you can get guardian visa and macs, then you are set to go, else if you can get EP status or entrepass, i would assume even better, but whichever you get make sure u can use the macs with the guardian/ep or entrepass, this will be all that should matter.
I have a business in SG also and fortunately i am PR, in my case i use only my australian passport (loaded with macs card stuck to one page) which i swipe at MY and SG checkpoints, no visa necessary.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Den
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

bellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of lightbellynbella is a glorious beacon of light

HI Den,

Yes, thats a great help. Thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bellynbella
HI Den,

Yes, thats a great help. Thanks.
Most obliged, we hv a gorgeous waterfront shared condo apartment 2 mins from jb customs, cheap as chips if u or u know anyone interested short or long term. Just let us know.
many thanks.
den
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Den, suggest you read what Sue the Administrator has written above about your ad. The way to do it on this forum.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Den, suggest you read what Sue the Administrator has written above about your ad. The way to do it on this forum.
oops, will take a look, sorry and thanks

Sorry admin also!!!

Den
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:38 am
Just Joined

ATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of light

Hey LanternsB -

Have you moved to JB yet? Actually if you hold an EP working in SG, you can buy a Msian car and drive in daily. However I think there is a surcharge for Msian car going in daily. You might want to check the ICA SG website for more info.

We just moved in 3 months ago and travelling in daily hasn't been trouble apart from accident along the bridge to custom or caused the SG custom or along AYE which is a daily affair.

So far door to door from Ledang heights to work place at Tiong Bahru only 45-50min normal day. Bad traffic day approx. 1.20 hour.

Also if you rent an apartment in Bukit Indah near the main malls like AEON or Giant these are key bus pick up/drop off from SG. CW 3 (to Jurong East) and CW5 (Boon Lay) goes to these interchange terminals in SG.

Hope the info helpful. Good luck and look forward to have you in our neighbourhood.

ATM
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:44 am
Just Joined

ATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of lightATMLedang is a glorious beacon of light

Hi BnB.
For M'sia side you can apply for a macs valid for a year.
For SG side would thing an EP is more secure for business. You can go to ICA website to find out more info of what is required to qualify for an EP or Entrepass.

My husband was on EP before he got his SG PR so that was our way of commuting in/out of JB previously. Until he got his PR status in Dec13.

If you hold an EP you can get a Msian car (much more affordable) to commute in/out of JB as well. We have done some research on hired car but it wasn't that cost effective as such we abandoned that idea after my husband got his PR. Because PRs like myself are not permitted to own/drive a Msian vehicle into SG So we got a small SG car to commute.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 12:04 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

ATMLedang, forgive me if this is a daft question, and I'm just being nosey anyway.....I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that you have chosen to be Permanent Resident in Singapore, but you are actually not permanent resident there or even slightly resident there . What am I missing here? Just might be useful for others reading this.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Bakedbean - no worries, we learn by being inquisitive

Was living in SG for many years before deciding to move to JB. Holding a PR status in SG do give some benefits (not until recent years) and also for job movement purposes. I will keep the PR status as long as the SG ICA allows it since now am residing in JB. So yes am enjoying the better lifestyle and lower cost of living in JB at the same the good remuneration in SG.

At first we weren't that sure if the move to JB was a great idea. Now that we're here for the past 3-month we seem to have adapted and liked it more than we predicted.

Hope this helps shed some lights!
Old Feb 27th 2014, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Sing PR has to be renewed every 5 years.

Just renewed mine this year.
You can do it online now.

Can't remember if they require you to give a Sing address.

For a Singapore IC you have to give the new address whenever you move.
I know not everybody does that but it is a legal requirement.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:05 pm

Very enlightening....thanks to both of you . I got turned down once for Singapore PR....well you can understand it :-D