Working in Singapore, living in JB

Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of
Default Re: Working in Singapore, living in JB

My top tip for the yellow buses would be a pair of running shoes !

It was a Sunday with seats plenty... Leaves me wondering why they were running (for a prime seat ??). ... Relack lah...

but yes, if you miss it after you pass the custom (if you were slow, went to the loo or there were too many to fit, etc ...) you wait for the next.

Each wait is about 15-20 min ? not too bad for a weekend.

Xx
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Singmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nijntje2518
Hi folks!

We are also looking at moving to Nusajaya - been in Singapore 3 years and simply getting priced out of the housing market!

Can anyone advise if there's parking at the second link? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I understand bringing a Malaysian car in everyday is not permitted, and we can't afford a Singaporean car - we were thinking to drive to the second link & then get public transport. I've been told that the Causeway link buses are plentiful (crowded I can deal with - I ride the MRT every day!).

Alternatively, does anyone know of any car-pooling networks where we could hitch a ride?

Finally - has anyone imported their pets from Singapore to Malaysia? What was your experience?

Any advice anyone would like to post - where to stay, where to avoid, estate agents, handy transport tips, general rants and raves (positive or negative!) - the more, the merrier!

Thanks in advance!

Jessica
Hi Jessica,

If you are Singapore EP holder and you live in Malaysia, you can drive Malaysian car into Singapore. It is free only first 10 trips, and after that you will need to pay VEP (Vehicle Entry Permit) which is $20 SGD when you enter Singapore. You only have to pay VEP once a day between 2am to 5pm on weekdays, and not on weekends. So if you make two trips to Singapore in one day, you will be charged VEP only once.

You are not allowed to drive Malaysian car into Singapore if you are:
Singapore Citizen, Singapore PR, Resident of Singapore, Long Term Visit Pass or DPass Holder, Work Pass Holder who is also a resident of Singapore

You can read details in Singapore's LTA website.

As for Causeway link bus, I've taken it weekends back and forth, and it really isn't that bad. In my experience, from Jurong East to Gelang Patah or Bukit Indah it takes about 45-60 minutes. I haven't tried it for commuting on weekdays though, from what I hear bus is packed during commuting hours but lot of people do it. I don't think you can park on second link, but you may be able to find parking in Bukit Indah or around Gelang Patah bus terminal.

There is definitely an option to carpool. My friend's husband carpool from LH to Singapore CBD everyday and he says it takes about 1 hour both ways. Sometimes there's a traffic jam coming back, especially Friday evening, but even so he said he can be home in 90 minutes from CBD. There are plenty of forum where people put posts looking for carpooling mate. There's even a van (apparently van lane seems faster than regular car lanes), or women only cars available. I don't know the URL of these forums, but I may be able to ask him...
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Nijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud of

Thanks for this, really helpful - actually, my boyfriend found the same info as you re driving into Singapore (seems it's only for the boys, though )

However, any work pass holder, who is not a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:
• He is the registered owner of the vehicle.
• He resides outside Singapore.
• He has a valid insurance certificate and road tax to use the vehicle on Singapore roads.
• The vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more every day.
• The vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/ exit at Woodlands and Tuas Checkpoints and to pay for VEP/ toll charges.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb...torcycles.html

May I ask if you are crossing at Woodlands or the Second Link? Haven't tried the Causeway Links at Tuas as yet but car-drivers I know who use it regularly find it miles better.

If you do have the links for the car-pooling, that would be great - thanks again!

BTW if anyone can recommend a hotel in Nusajaya - we are going to book in for a week & give it a test-run!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this, really helpful - actually, my boyfriend found the same info as you re driving into Singapore (seems it's only for the boys, though )

However, any work pass holder, who is not a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:
• He is the registered owner of the vehicle.
• He resides outside Singapore.
• He has a valid insurance certificate and road tax to use the vehicle on Singapore roads.
• The vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more every day.
• The vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/ exit at Woodlands and Tuas Checkpoints and to pay for VEP/ toll charges.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb...torcycles.html

May I ask if you are crossing at Woodlands or the Second Link? Haven't tried the Causeway Links at Tuas as yet but car-drivers I know who use it regularly find it miles better.

If you do have the links for the car-pooling, that would be great - thanks again!

BTW if anyone can recommend a hotel in Nusajaya - we are going to book in for a week & give it a test-run!
Legoland hotel should be open soon!!

This car thing is a bit odd... does it mean my wife who is on a Dependant's Pass can't drive in?
I wonder what happens if you do stay more than 18 hours, eg leave your car parked at the airport for a couple of days??
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Singmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jessica,

I will let you know if I manage to get a link for carpooling.

I used Tuas to cross borders by Causeway Link. I tried going through Woodlands but it was more packed.

There's Traders Hotel (owned by Shangri-la) in Nusajaya at Puteri Harbor which just opened recently, and I heard Renaissance Hotel (Mariott owned thus five starts) in JB is quite nice, too.

Last edited by Singmom; Oct 2nd 2013 at 1:23 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

hi Singmom

Thanks for the suggestion of car pooling. I would be very interested in that as well though I would no doubt be searching the forums myself.

I hear from several locals (Malaysians) that the bus lane clears faster than one for cars.

Xx
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

I did the bus thing for both Tuas and Woodlands (weekdays and weekends). There is not much of a time difference when it is clear, but the latter tends to get more quickly jammed and hence takes a longer time.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Nijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud of

Thanks - that was what I thought, so I guess Nusajaya is the best option for living.

I had a quick Google for car-pooling websites (God bless, you, Google!) and found several - these might be of interest:

http://www.carpoolworld.com/carpool_.html
http://malaysia.metrosources.com/carpool-cid175
http://www.jbshare.info/index.php/car-pool
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Malay...70030109696812

There were more, but I won't labour the point.... it's definitely possible!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

That's awesome. Thanks Njtie2518!
Old Oct 5th 2013, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Hi folks,

Been looking into the MM2H but wondering what the other options are for living in JB / working in Singapore? I've been trying to find info on the long-term visit pass but can't find anything really detailed.

Any experiences / suggestions?

Thanks,

Jessica
Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Hi folks,

Been looking into the MM2H but wondering what the other options are for living in JB / working in Singapore? I've been trying to find info on the long-term visit pass but can't find anything really detailed.

Any experiences / suggestions?

Thanks,

Jessica
This is the other option if you have child in school.

"Family Members of International Students who are Allowed to Stay in Malaysia
Certain family members of foreign students are allowed to accompany students in Malaysia on a Long Term Social Pass (for the duration of 12 months or according to the duration of study whichever come first). They include the following types of family members:

Parents of students
Spouses, children and parents of students who come from middle-eastern countries
Spouses and children (immediate family only) of students who are pursuing postgraduate programmes"

Hope this help.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks - but no kids, just us & the cats!
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Samryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend or advise me of the best way of recruiting a full time driver, based in Johor and travelling to Singapore at least three days a week. Six day working week. Starting mid November, salary negotiable.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Samryan
Can anyone recommend or advise me of the best way of recruiting a full time driver, based in Johor and travelling to Singapore at least three days a week. Six day working week. Starting mid November, salary negotiable.
There are a few "private hire" car firms around.... they will, given enough notice, drive you anywhere in S'pore and take you back again when you need. I am paying SGD 70 each way, and yes, I might be getting ripped off as I seem to have "rip me off" tattooed on my forehead...

Welcome to the forum.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:52 am
Just Joined

You could try the cheaper option:

http://www.carpoolworld.com/carpool_.html
http://malaysia.metrosources.com/carpool-cid175
http://www.jbshare.info/index.php/car-pool
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Malay...70030109696812

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.