Tell me about Johor Bahru (JB)

Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tell me about Johor Bahru (JB)

I used to work/live in Singapore and of course got all the negative propaganda from the Sing newspapers and everyone believed it, including us. Why believe anything else when you don't hear anything else?

Now living in Penang, and hear quite a few good things about JB.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tell me about Johor Bahru (JB)

The only thing I know about JB is that it is crime ridden and a favourite place to shop for cheap petrol. The Singaporeans love to come over with an empty tank to fill it up with cheap Malaysian petrol. I know that there is a directive that says all cars from Sing must have at least 3/4 tank of petrol before crossing over but apparently not too many Sing follow that order.

I would like to stop over for a visit but when I raised that with Mr redbean, his response was "what for.......there is nothing there!". I give up.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that.
Was just today talking about JB with my barber.
I used to live and work there 20 years ago and thought it was great.
Like visiting now and again in fact will be going Thursday.
But it's not the place it was imo.

Been done up a bit mind and one or two goodish hotels and malls.

The missus goes to get her hair done and have a look around the shops.
Last time I went I bought a pair of Beta Titanium specs, well that's what they were supposed to be for MYR 400.
They would cost at least double that in Singapore.
I like them whether they are the real McCoy or not.

We seldom go by car now though as there is deffo some stealing, hi jacking and just general damage which goes on. The %age of Sing cars which get done is very low though.

As my barber was agreeing just crossing the causeway and the stress level drops.

Would we go there for a few days holiday. No.

Just on the cheap petrol thing.
The Sing side are quite hot on it although some Singaporeans still try to get away with fitting a gadget which shows an empty tank to be three quarters full. They get caught for this as well now and again and it's a large fine.

Last edited by ex reg; Jan 4th 2011 at 11:08 am.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:13 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

With my friends with Sg plates most of the highway robbery was done by the police. Their advice was always to cough up, regardless of the fact that you probably were not doing the speeding they claimed you were.

I think the area that Singaporeans and expats go to to shop is a dump, and I only used to go with other people for something to do. Didn't do much shopping there as I'm not into copy handbags, Bata shoes, dodgy VCDs...

What it's like outside that area I don't know, although we did once drive up to Tesco's at Melaka for the craic. I bought some loo rolls.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Seasider
With my friends with Sg plates most of the highway robbery was done by the police. Their advice was always to cough up, regardless of the fact that you probably were not doing the speeding they claimed you were.

I think the area that Singaporeans and expats go to to shop is a dump, and I only used to go with other people for something to do. Didn't do much shopping there as I'm not into copy handbags, Bata shoes, dodgy VCDs...

What it's like outside that area I don't know, although we did once drive up to Tesco's at Melaka for the craic. I bought some loo rolls.

I've lived in JB for over 3 years and personally I'm more than happy here... yes it's not as glamorous or clean cut as it's neighbour Singapore, but to me that adds a bit of character to the place. (plus there's the added bonus of being able to go to Singapore at the weekends and not have to pay the rental prices to live there!)

I've mentioned on forums before that the crime issue is something that is very overstated and no greater than anything I've come across in other cities around the world. Sure, if you mess with the wrong person you're going to get them wound up and they're going to bite, but if you drive sensibly, don't cut people up and certainly don't give them the middle finger you'll be fine!! It's simply a case of respecting other people's cultures and they'll respect yours. I'm sure the same goes for driving and living in KL????

With regards to SG drivers getting 'robbed' by the police, having seen how many SG drivers respect the road and other users once they cross the causeway to freedom, I would hasten to guess it is more a case that they were doing something wrong to warrant being pulled over. The issue with 'bribery' to get out of the situation is easily avoided by simply refusing ( I've never paid a spot fine once and have never had an issue nor been given a ticket).

In terms of things to do, admittedly there's not a lot compared to Singapore/KL, but there are some amazing (and relatively cheap) seafood restaurants, a few decent bars and plenty of malls to choose from (ranging from 'dodgy DVD/handbag malls' to ones with UK High Street brands such as Topshop, Mango etc...).

I've noticed a significant increase in the number of expats walking the streets in the last year or so, which suggests people are being attracted here more and more, perhaps by the lower cost of living compared to Singapore.

The major downsides to JB - the hospitals are pretty bad and though I don't have children I hear there are no good international schools, but I guess as more expats move here, the chances are this will improve.

Oh and there's no need to drive to Melaka for Tesco's these days - there are 3 in JB and a new one on the way.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

JB always an emotive subject between Singapore residents and JB residents for sure.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Malacca is probably ???? my favourite place in Malaysia.

We go there quite regularly.
OK there are no longer any schooners in the river which has now been cleaned up and I no longer see monitor lizards walking its banks, but the people are really so nice. Love walking around the place and just looking down the back lanes.

3 or 4 Boutique hotels there as well now but we always stay in the Ba Ba House.
Some people don't like it but we reckon it's fine and the staff are nice now we know them.

Always manage to find some new places to eat each time we go there.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea but along with Penang it's a great short break.

Of course plenty of Tescos in JB.
But if you want to try the one in Batu Pahat then try a drive there.
Quite a nice small town which it wasn't during the Emergency.

Last edited by ex reg; Jan 5th 2011 at 4:32 am.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:51 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mnicol
Oh and there's no need to drive to Melaka for Tesco's these days - there are 3 in JB and a new one on the way.
Unfortunately that's still a hell of a long way for me
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:08 am

Think we need a Malacca thread or have we already got one?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:13 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Think we need a Malacca thread or have we already got one?
Dunno, I only went the once, to the supermarket. Shame really, but we just never seemed to make it up there.