Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Johor Bahru (JB) - Area or condo recommendations

Johor Bahru (JB) - Area or condo recommendations

Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

sandcastle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Johor Bahru (JB) - Area or condo recommendations

I am considering moving to Johor Bahru. I have read through the old posts but would like to know if anyone has recommendations for areas or specific condos. I don't need to commute to work or consider schools. I need reliable high speed internet and would like a fairly quite location with nice views and a walkable neighborhood.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johor Bahru (JB) - Area or condo recommendations

I understand it might be personal but any chance of a few reasons why you want to move to JB?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

sandcastle is an unknown quantity at this point

I am planning on moving to SE Asia within a few months. I have spent some time in Singapore and I like it (I didn't think I would consider JB so I didn't visit there on my last trip but now I am thinking about it). I will consider living in Singapore also. The main reason for JB over somewhere else in Malaysia is proximity to Singapore. Being able to go into Singapore when I felt like it, is a nice perk. The main reason for JB over Singapore is price, and the possibility of difficulty getting a long term visa for Singapore (the requirements are not obvious for working as a consultant instead of as a full time employee). Malaysia rose to the top of my list when looking for a country due to (everywhere I considered had great weather): MM2H (and related sensible government policies), language (English) and cost.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I lived and worked in JB 20 years ago and it was great.
A nice change from Singapore where I lived and worked before and where I live now.
Recently, say over the last 5 years, there has been a lot of regeneration in JB with new condos and malls being built.
I've been to the malls but not the condos.
When I lived there I stayed in bungalows and semi D accommodation. The bungalows had a big garden and the living there was just right for us, spacious and peaceful.
But recently as well as the regeneration there has been an increase in crime, imo.
So if I lived there now I would only live in a secure condo.
We don't go to JB as often as I would like because we have the feeling that Singapore cars are targeted. This may or may not be so. Certainly there are a couple of posters on this forum who might give you an opposing view.
Also kidnappings of Singaporean businessmen has taken place.

Funny thing is my wife and her sister go to JB more often than me and feel quite safe. Maybe it's just a car thing. Although 1000s of Sing cars do go to JB each day.

None of this should mean that you should rule out JB.
I've mentioned it so that you have a broader view.

Take a couple of weeks or more to try it out.
Hotels are much cheaper than Singapore as is car hire or purchase and the cost of living generally.

I can't help with internet speed. Again the posters who do live there can give their opinion.

All the best.